Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your manager...your expectations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your manager...your expectations?
    Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:48pm
Assuming everyone on here had the manager of his/her choice to manage us (bar the top guys like Mourinho) what would be your expectations with this group of players that we have?

Would you see us winning groups? Qualifying regularly? Actually progressing through the world cup rounds should we get there?

I just think it would be  interesting to compare peoples expectations and hopes to the current reality. 

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:57pm
Love to be going somewhere every couple of years but if had to pick then World Cup every four years and I would be as happy as anyone on here , but would just love to win the group once in the Quals 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 8:08pm
Qualification 3 outa 5 4 outa 6 something along these line would be a start and should be achiveable esp with EC expanded to 24 , If that happened expectations will rise accordingly and would be understandable
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 8:41pm
Being able to challenge and never be humiliated by the top seed and always copeting closely for 2nd. We should be qualifying for a 24 team Euros regardless. Never going to easy to qualify for a WC.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Being able to challenge and never be humiliated by the top seed and always copeting closely for 2nd. We should be qualifying for a 24 team Euros regardless. Never going to easy to qualify for a WC.
Same as above really. Would be great if the manager could give them confidence to play with the ball also
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 11:30pm
With the group of players we have now? Don't expect a lot, maybe pushing for play off place. Don't think we have the strength in depth or ability to be a big a threat to teams as we once were.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 11:37am

With the current squad, second place is a phenominal achievement. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

I would like to see the manager integrate the Irish senior setup more into the broader football community as they are very isolated. Pick 5 LoI players for every squad training session would be a good start. Move training around the country and have more open days.

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

With the current squad, second place is a phenominal achievement. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

I would like to see the manager integrate the Irish senior setup more into the broader football community as they are very isolated. Pick 5 LoI players for every squad training session would be a good start. Move training around the country and have more open days.

It would be silly to put a direct number on a certain amount of players to be added, but i would be all for giving a few LOI players who are genuinely in good form a chance to train with the squad and take it from there.

Fully agree with you there, there are so many top class facilities around the country so there's no excuse.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 10:21am
I would like Ireland home games to be big events that people are buzzing going to.

I have never gone into the new stadium thinking 'this is going to be special'.

Its way too long since I left Lansdowne road absolutely buzzing (ok maybe after the playoff victory, but that was no huge home scalp).

Home games are not what they used to be. Russia, Bulgaria, Germany, have all come to Dublin and we havent even had a go.
Biffo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 10:43am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

2 good ideas there, would agree with GD re the numbers
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 11:33am
All this happened before under jack . Window dressing is all it was and until the fai realise we need a strong vibrant national league to ensure a steady supply line of young players as our over reliance on the British leagues is leaving us with a very small player pool.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

All this happened before under jack . Window dressing is all it was and until the fai realise we need a strong vibrant national league to ensure a steady supply line of young players as our over reliance on the British leagues is leaving us with a very small player pool.

And they what, click their fingers? The idea that they FAI could have a stronger domestic league but choose not to is so laughable I don't know where to begin.

The league is a different beast now than under Charlton. We are producing the talent now, we weren't then.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 1:06pm
I've always said that getting us to 2nd in the qualifying group is what I'd hope for under any manager.

Jack, Mick and Trap have achieved that in every group they managed us in, Kerr and Stan failed which is why I wasn't unhappy about them leaving their posts much as I respected them both and was actually delighted when Kerr got his chance.  People who argued that Mick had had 3 attempts to qualify and Kerr only had 2 and deserved a 3rd missed the point for me, had Kerr led us to 2 play offs and lost both I'd have been happy enough for him to have had a 3rd attempt. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I've always said that getting us to 2nd in the qualifying group is what I'd hope for under any manager.

Jack, Mick and Trap have achieved that in every group they managed us in, Kerr and Stan failed which is why I wasn't unhappy about them leaving their posts much as I respected them both and was actually delighted when Kerr got his chance.  People who argued that Mick had had 3 attempts to qualify and Kerr only had 2 and deserved a 3rd missed the point for me, had Kerr led us to 2 play offs and lost both I'd have been happy enough for him to have had a 3rd attempt. 

I'd say a decent argument could be made for Kerr only having the one shot at it really - the first campaign he took over when we'd already taken zero points from our first two games against our main rivals in the group  no less as well. Regardless, his overly conservate approach is really what ultimately cost him in the end. Would have obviously preferred he stayed on instead of Stan coming in, but either way I don't know if he was ever going to be the man to really take us forward. Will always hold a special place in most people's hearts for his work with the underage teams though.

Back to the topic, personally I'd expect us to be able to challenge for 2nd spot in most groups. We've actually been fairly consistent over the last 20 or so years anyway in doing this, bar a serious achievement in 2002 and a serious under achievement in 2008. Agree with the previous poster about our home games not being the same too - there is really very little for the big boys to fear these days when they come to Dublin.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 1:56pm

Id go for Denzel Washington as gaffer. He has

1. Pride
  2. Commitment
  3. Passion
  4. Tough as nails
  5. Popular with the players
  6. Good man manager
  7. Will be able to handle the media
  8. Good English
  9. Never say die attitude
  10. Will be able to entice Stephen Ireland back

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

I'd say a decent argument could be made for Kerr only having the one shot at it really - the first campaign he took over when we'd already taken zero points from our first two games against our main rivals in the group  no less as well. Regardless, his overly conservate approach is really what ultimately cost him in the end. Would have obviously preferred he stayed on instead of Stan coming in, but either way I don't know if he was ever going to be the man to really take us forward. Will always hold a special place in most people's hearts for his work with the underage teams though.

Back to the topic, personally I'd expect us to be able to challenge for 2nd spot in most groups. We've actually been fairly consistent over the last 20 or so years anyway in doing this, bar a serious achievement in 2002 and a serious under achievement in 2008. Agree with the previous poster about our home games not being the same too - there is really very little for the big boys to fear these days when they come to Dublin.

I hate the new stadium tbh. No atmosphere and its not grotty enough. Its like when Southampton used to play at the Dell they used to turn over a lot of big teams but when they moved stadiums they went down. LAnsdowne is just like most modern stadiums. Too big and soulless. Pitch too far away from the stands, too sterile.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I hate the new stadium tbh. No atmosphere and its not grotty enough. Its like when Southampton used to play at the Dell they used to turn over a lot of big teams but when they moved stadiums they went down. LAnsdowne is just like most modern stadiums. Too big and soulless. Pitch too far away from the stands, too sterile.

I think it's a nice stadium, but I get exactly what you're saying and I fully agree. I was only watching highlights of the Holland game in 2001 yesterday, and the thing that struck me throughout was the atmosphere. It was a seriously intimidating cauldron of noise for the Dutch, and sometimes it almost looked like the fans would burst out onto the pitch they were packed so tightly into the ground. Ahhh, good times...
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 2:34pm

To be fair to Kerr he had 6 games of 8 in that group and one of the ones he missed was an away game in Russia where a point would have been a good result. He beat the teams we'd expect to beat to get us into a position where winning our last home game and beating the Swiss away would have topped the group. We got 1point from two games and didn't even get a play off. Our worst performance in the group was the last game and that day on his watch. Had to be his campaign for me, had we got the results in those games the plaudits would have rightly been his, can't have it both ways, negativity after going ahead v Russia and in the Swiss game cost us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic