You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your Club's Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your Club's Season
    Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 10:22pm
How would you rate your club's season? Good? Bad? Brilliant? Awful?

Obviously, I'm going to say City's season was fantastic; if I was to give it a rating, I'd give it a 9/10. Winning the league and cup, I couldn't have asked for more, and then there were the admittedly minor but still nice to win President's Cup and Munster Senior Cup. Losing to Shamrock Rovers so late in the League Cup was very galling; it would have been brilliant to win the treble. Europe was slightly disappointing as well, unfortunately Larnaca were cuter on both nights and did well to stifle our play. Performances obviously could have been better since August, but losing Maguire and O'Connor at the same time, while having lost Dunleavy a few weeks prior was always going to blow, as was a potential deal for Eoghan Stokes falling through. The season as a whole, however, was excellent, Sunday was a fitting end, and I'm now very much looking forward to next season.

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
Sponsored Links

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 10:25pm
9/10. Tipped to go down, came 5th. Keith Long strong shout for manager of the season. Already re-signed a lot of big players to new deals. Some great games, some great results, some great goals. Most of the signings came in and did a huge job, the ones that weren't up to it were quickly and quietly moved on. A couple of regrets - we always seem to inexplicably roll over for Derry which could have been the difference in achieving an improbable European spot, and we had no cup run - given how the team dug out big results against the big boys in the second half of the year, that loss to Harps is fairly galling. But on the whole, fantastic season and the future looks bright. Looking forward to next season.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:42am
St. Pats. Awful.
One game away from being relegated for the first time in our history. A few summer signings (Jordi Balk, Killian Brennan in particular) and Conan Byrne saved us. 
Off the field we continue to be a shambles, with no energy, passion or direction in the club. Thank God we survived, because it could have been curtains financially if we had gone down.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 9:59am
After a very shaky start, the overwhelming majority of Rovers fans are happy enough with the season.  Too many defeats however, with very few draws meaning 3rd place is a decent effort.

What pleases the Rovers fans most however is the nature and demeanour of Bradley's team.  Young lads who know what's expected of them when they go out to play and they've at least tried to play decent ball after the absolute mind-numbing borefests under Croly and Fenlon.

We need a good left back, a commanding centre half (even though Grace was a great signing), a reliable keeper and an out and out goalscorer, the last one is the hardest to acquire.

A 7/10 for me and some really decent games to remember this year.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 10:05am
First two thirds good, last third pathetic.
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 11:54am
UCD AFC
SSE Airtricity League
The stats are the only compensation.  Beat every other team in the Division, a great win versus Waterford.  Increased record against Shels 2 wins v. 1 loss. in three season P12 W8 D1 L3.
Georgie Kelly 17 League goals, all-time club record for LOI, 2017 First Division leading goalscorer.

3 Captains through the season Gary O'Neill (Club Captain injured), Greg Sloggett (International duties) and Niall Corbet.

Representatives: U19s RoI Neil Farrugia 3 caps (2 competitive, 1 goal)
U19s UCD AFC played in UEFA Youth League 2 matches, 3 goals, 4 shootout penos, 1 shootout peno saved.

2 Schoolboys in  springtime Centenary Shield Sean McDonald and Jack Ryan.

CUFL, Universities 2016/17
Won CUFL Premier Division, Runner-up in Collywood Cup.
3 Irish Universities Representatives at XXIX Universiade Taipei, Taiwan. Jason McClelland, Daire O'Connor and Greg Sloggett.

Leinster Senior League 2016/17
Relegation from Senior Division to Senior 1 Division.

The pos. are watching development of Players like Simon Power, McClelland and Sloggett stepping up for a tough midfield role.

The negs are not getting the most out of league games. We would of got closer to Waterford but I don't believe it would have change the eventual outcome of the First Division winners.

www.ucdsupporters.ie
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 11:56am
Awful - started so well with good results and strong squad and then the board fall out, North Korea crap, manager leaving and then allegations of match fixing, couldn't have gone much worse.

Lost a lot of interest over the season, hopefully we go back to budget squad next year and ditch the grandiose plans.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

St. Pats. Awful.
One game away from being relegated for the first time in our history. A few summer signings (Jordi Balk, Killian Brennan in particular) and Conan Byrne saved us. 
Off the field we continue to be a shambles, with no energy, passion or direction in the club. Thank God we survived, because it could have been curtains financially if we had gone down.

Hard to argue with much of this
El Puto Amo
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

9/10. Tipped to go down, came 5th. Keith Long strong shout for manager of the season. Already re-signed a lot of big players to new deals. Some great games, some great results, some great goals. Most of the signings came in and did a huge job, the ones that weren't up to it were quickly and quietly moved on. A couple of regrets - we always seem to inexplicably roll over for Derry which could have been the difference in achieving an improbable European spot, and we had no cup run - given how the team dug out big results against the big boys in the second half of the year, that loss to Harps is fairly galling. But on the whole, fantastic season and the future looks bright. Looking forward to next season.

Would agree with everything bar the initial rating.
7.5/10 for me
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:28pm
Garvan seemed to do well for the junkies too.  Kurtis Byrne off to MSL I hear?
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Jaysus that's a hell of a drop down playing in the Munster Senior League

Edited by Denis Irwin - 07 Nov 2017 at 12:39pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

St. Pats. Awful.
been saying for years that we need a complete overhaul off field. Can't understand how a businessman who has put his money where mouth is can watch the amateur efforts at bringing funding in.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 1:36pm
Drogheda united ,
terrible, 13pts after 1/3 of season was ok , but after that we got 5pts from second third (win v rovers at home was strange cos we had no form)
cup q-f,  but as usual hammered by 'that lot up the road'
lost a lot of players during the season , killian Brennan to name one (who saved pats) a fall out the management team of three ( three managers and we couldn't stay up)
young lads tried their best I suppose....
I didn't go to any games after a defeat by finn harps in the middle of the season , lots of fans voted with their feet...
Come on Irelind
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

been saying for years that we need a complete overhaul off field. Can't understand how a businessman who has put his money where mouth is can watch the amateur efforts at bringing funding in.

It really baffles me too. I got involved in some of the marketing/sponsorship committees, along with others, a few times over the last few years. All the energy and the good ideas go nowhere because there is no support or drive from the club. Kelleher is throwing good money after bad if he doesn't sort out the administrative side of things at Pats.

Oh, and I reckon Jordi Balk will be signed by someone else in the close season. He has a great calmness and determination (not to mention ability) at centre back that lots of other teams would welcome.
saintjoey View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saintjoey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2017 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Garvan played himself into fitness and ye could see his quality, he's signed for next year afaik so a full pre season behind him he could be a huge player for us next season..

No idea on Kurtis
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 11:13pm
As a Cork City fan, I was bored after 15 or so games. There was nothing to look forward to as we knew we had the league won. I don't know what enjoyment Celtic fans get.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:42am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

As a Cork City fan, I was bored after 15 or so games. There was nothing to look forward to as we knew we had the league won. I don't know what enjoyment Celtic fans get.

I hope you're bored next year too
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2017 at 8:21am
9 out of 10 for Waterford. We were tipped to win the league with the resources we had and did it with 2 games to spare. It was great to see the crowds back at the RSC with people who had given up coming back and lots of children getting into the Blues for the first time. Next season will be interesting in the Premier division and fans are already excited with lots of interest in season tickets and next season's squad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic