You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Young Talent Emerging

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 1:37pm
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 3:31pm
Ryan Delaney starts in the FA Cup for Rochdale v Millwall
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:47am
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 8:38pm
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 10:58am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

A non-exhaustive list of promising players aged 23 or under who have played first team football:

Ian Lawlor
Danny Rogers
Kieran O'Hara
Conor O'Malley
Tommie Hoban
Conor Shaughnessy
Ryan Sweeney
Canice Carroll
Shaun Donnellan
Eoghan O'Connell
Bradley Garmston
Kevin O'Connor
Brian Lenihan
Kevin Toner
Ryan Delaney
Liam Kinsella
Fiacre Kelleher
Shane Griffin
Noe Baba
Declan Rice
Emmanuel Osadebe
Josh Barrett
Adam McDonnell
Jayson Molumby
Corey O'Keeffe
Trevor Clarke
Zac Elbouzedi
Rory Hale
Alan Browne
Darragh Lenihan
Anthony Forde
Sean Kavanagh
Brandon Miele
Fuad Sule
Kieran Sadlier
Aaron McEneff
Callum O'Dowda
Jack Byrne
Liam Kelly
Josh Cullen
Ryan Manning
Olamide Shodipo
Conor Ronan
Sean Maguire
Chiedozie Ogbene
Ismahil Akinade
Reece Grego-Cox
Gerry McDonagh
Ronan Curtis
Michael O'Connor
Rowan Roache
Conor Wilkinson
Courtney Duffus

Couple this with all of the emerging underage talent we have that are yet to play first team football (eg. Idah, McAuley, Connolly, Okoflex etc.), and I'd say it looks like we have a pretty useful generation coming through at the moment.

Brian Lenihan announces his retirement from  the game on medical advice aged just 23. Best wishes to the Hull City and former Cork City Player.

time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:08am
What's up with him? Sad to see a young player have to retire
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:19am
Seems to be persistant knee injuires. Was in the Hull team start of the season and broje down again I think.

Has only played for Senior games in 4 years.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:42pm
Very sad news about Brian Lenihan.  Thought he looked the read deal at Cork City as right back.  Without injuries he looked a future premier league player to me.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 12:44pm
From the42.ie  ...

Young Irish defender forced to retire just eight months after captaining Hull City

Brian Lenihan featured in Ireland’s senior squad for Euro 2016 qualifiers against Gibraltar and Germany.

By Paul Dollery Wednesday 18 Apr 2018, 11:50 AM

43 minutes ago 6,957 Views 3 Comments

http://the42.ie/3964028

HULL CITY DEFENDER Brian Lenihan has this morning announced his retirement from professional football at the age of 23.

Lenihan joined Hull from hometown club Cork City in 2014 but his time in England has been hampered by a series of recurring knee injuries, which began during a loan stint at Blackpool.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone associated with Hull City AFC for the care and support I have received over the past four years,” Lenihan wrote on Twitter.

“From a medical point of view the staff have gone above and beyond for me and for that I will be forever grateful.

“In light of events late last year, it is with deep regret that I have had to retire from professional football. Having to retire at 23 is something I did not foresee, but such is life.

“This decision does not come lightly but due to the medical advice I have received it is an action that needs to be taken for my own well-being.”

He added: “Sometimes in life you need to give up on a lifelong dream to ensure you live a happy and more fulfilling life.”

pic.twitter.com/djPXkYZ1gS

— Brian Lenihan (@brian_lenihan12) April 18, 2018

Lenihan, a right-back who earned comparisons to Seamus Coleman during his time in the League of Ireland, made his final first-team appearance for Hull came back in August when he captained the side in a 2-0 Carabao Cup defeat to Doncaster Rovers.

The Championship club showed their faith in Lenihan last summer by extending his contract, but unfortunately for the Irish U21 international — who featured in the senior squad for Euro 2016 qualifiers against Gibraltar and Germany — a promising career has been brought to a premature end.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 2:25pm
There's always hope it might be a Joey O'Brien-esque situation whereby he'll be able to make some form of a comeback after a few years out of the game, but the fact he's had to literally announce his retirement at just 23 probably doesn't bode well for that eventuality.
We're decent enough..
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:00am
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Very sad news about Brian Lenihan.  Thought he looked the read deal at Cork City as right back.  Without injuries he looked a future premier league player to me.

So young its a real shame I wish him luck in his future career.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 7:44pm
Interesting read. Remarkable what a difference the month you are born in makes to a young player's potential success.

How do Belgium do it?:

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Interesting read. Remarkable what a difference the month you are born in makes to a young player's potential success.

How do Belgium do it?:

Pfft.  We have the DDSL.

Dated Development System of Losing
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 12:54pm

How do Belgium do it?:

http://www.skyss.com/footballews/12098/11387201/belgium-are-much-more-than-a-golden-generation-and-it-is-not-luck - http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12098/11387201/belgium-are-much-more-than-a-golden-generation-and-it-is-not-luck

http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/republic-of-ireland-future-developers-squad-announced

Ireland tried something similar 3 years but was to do with players whose bmi was 19 or less so would have been seen as too small by some. One the coaches mentioned, James Scott is doing great work in North Tipp but unfortunately that article was almost 3 years ago and don't think the FAI kept up the future developers team.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 3:51pm

Its well known that you are more likely to succeed if born in the first 3 months of the year.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic