You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YBIG in the Rare Ould Times

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Steve Amsterdam Steve Amsterdam wrote:

With the sadness surrounding the news of Bear his passing, it struck me with a bit of a feeling of nostalgia to see some of the longtime posters back on the forum again.
Some posters had not been online for months or even years, and though the reason for returning online is very sad, perhaps good can come from circumstances so sad.

At its prime, YBIG was a great place with some truly great posters and characters. And seeing many of the old-timers back on again made me think of the days when the Forum was nearly a fulltime job to keep up with.
The efforts shown by YBIG and its members in organising all sorts of charitable work and funds, the helping of fellow fans for all sorts of things, and the knowledge and background of Irish football were great. But perhaps more importantly; it was simply a lot of fun and banter to talk with like-minded Ireland fans!

It was like a mini-Facebook for Ireland fans, and I was (and am) proud to be part of it.

We're all a bit older now since the heyday, and of course situations change in work and family life. For many there simply isn't enough time to be talking sh*te online on a forum haha.
And for others it seems that certain events that unfolded over the course of the last 2-3 years has caused a bit if a rift between YBIG and fellow Ireland fans, but also within YBIG itself. It seems some have unfortunately chosen to stay away from the Forum due to certain posters or events.

Anyways, not to sound like a sentimental old git, but I hope that many that found their way back online again after a long hiatus might stick around again for good.

God knows certain sections could do with an influx of quality

Erimus' Seagull of the Day thread was quality and should be resurrected.
If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The one thing bear had in abundance was the ability to sl*g and wind up with no malice whatsoever and to do it with a sense of mischief and that cheeky grin that sasa spoke about. We could all take a leaf from his book in that regard.

Reminds me in way back we were outside Beaggers before a game and Bear and a few others was poking at me to find out my first name , now this had been going on for some time and I said to Bear in a very straight face I would tell them but nobody has to laugh as I am very touchy about it , he said go on then and I told him Alerwisqus .........
Now remember the life of Brian and the two guards holding back the laugh , that was Bear LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 2:19pm
Seeing as it's titled the Rare Ould Times here's an Ode to Johnnyccfc:

Oh my name it is Johnnyccfc,
As mental as can be,
Born hard and late 12 years ago,
With some sense that ceased to be,
By trade I had a Ramblers forum,
As famous as could be,
Like my sense that fell to progress,
My Ramblers site's a memory,

And I courted the YBIG forum,
As often as I pleased,
Waffling away everywhere,
Despite not having a breeze,
I lost it to a Hitler chap,
With a skinhead like a bowl,
When RoggerMilla gave me a YBIG ban,
He took away my soul ...

Edited by Trapped - 04 Aug 2017 at 2:22pm
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 3:34pm
Was only thinking the same this morning Steve. Well said
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Seeing as it's titled the Rare Ould Times here's an Ode to Johnnyccfc:

Oh my name it is Johnnyccfc,
As mental as can be,
Born hard and late 12 years ago,
With some sense that ceased to be,
By trade I had a Ramblers forum,
As famous as could be,
Like my sense that fell to progress,
My Ramblers site's a memory,

And I courted the YBIG forum,
As often as I pleased,
Waffling away everywhere,
Despite not having a breeze,
I lost it to a Hitler chap,
With a skinhead like a bowl,
When RoggerMilla gave me a YBIG ban,
He took away my soul ...

If we're digging up old songs......

Oh his name was John O'Neill,

From Dublin town he came,

He went all the way to Bordeaux, and missed the game.

Del only lost his jacket, and Gary lost his phone,

but John boy may as well have stayed at home.

For he is the biggest numpty, that we have ever met,

and had to watch the match on someone's TV set.

You have lost so many jackets, forgotten many nights,

you've lost one too many iPhones, you've missed 14 hundred flights.

And you thought gaz was the mess on Saturday night?

May god shine on you John O'Neill, for the thickness you have shown.

May the stories of your shame be wildly known.

And Fergal O'Connell, and all the lads, who always try in vain,

to keep your sh1t together, they must be just insane.

And for those that tried before them, well their worries were the same,

how the f*ck do we get John in to this game?

So sad and bitter was the year of 2016, when you watched the match on someone's tv screen

Edited by Gaz - 04 Aug 2017 at 3:55pm
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 4:08pm
Superb Gaz Clap, or Gazsh seeing as we're all getting nostalgic here.

Good thread Steve lad..........we're like the old relations only seeing each other and weddings and funerals...........

Those were the days my Friend.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 4:31pm
Gaz going on for weeks on end before the Euro's and the first day in Amsterdam "You're gonna lose your phone, wallet, passport. Everything" Gaz comes out the next day "I lost my phone last night". We hadn't even left for France.

Cue the chants 'His name is Malone, He's got no phone' and 'Gary, give us a ring, Gary Gary, give us a ring!'

Edited by Trapped - 04 Aug 2017 at 4:33pm
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Gaz going on for weeks on end before the Euro's and the first day in Amsterdam "You're gonna lose your phone, wallet, passport. Everything" Gaz comes out the next day "I lost my phone night". We hadn't even left for France.

Cue the chants 'His name is Malone, He's got no phone' and 'Gary, give us a ring, Gary Gary, give us a ring!'

LOL
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 5:23pm
Schoolboy error from Gaz ๐Ÿ˜‚
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Was only thinking the same this morning Steve. Well said

So was I. Steve makes some good points, but for meself, most of the know it alls in the ROI section are completely devoid of humour. Unlike the 'rare ould times' to use Steve's description, they don't appear to travel to away games, where most of the older lads on here got to know each other, or if they do, they keep themselves to themselves, which is grand too, everyone has a choice, but the biggest difference is if you know the person you are debating with here, it makes for a far less aggressive approach as there is usually some mutual respect involved. 

I may sound like an oul fella (I am) but back then you could make a point without some testosterone filled idiot who wasn't even born in 1994 posting much the same thing in 38 different ways, getting slightly more insulting each time, just for the sake of ''winning'' the argument about Glenn Whelan. You shall know them by their posting ''opinion as fact'' style. There will be the usual'' easily offended'' comments from a few, but I'm not offended, I'm bored by the tedium. 

There used to be some discussion of our players, now the timeline is filled with with the latest transfer news of some English lad with an Irish sounding surname who might, if his agent, his oul lad, his cat and Wayne Rooney agree to it and the moon is lined up a certain way, get a place in the next U21 squad. MON vaguely & unintentionally annoys these lads, usually by picking someone who in their estimation ''doesn't deserve it'' , which is translation for somehow despite reaching level 3826 on some football computer game, this fella escaped their all encompassing radar. Go back through the Kevin Long thread for examples. 

I've never bothered much with the childrens section over in ROTW, but I did notice TJ got rapped on the knuckles for creating a few 'to be sacked' threads. A few lads decreed that football in a foreign country is far too important a subject for a harmless bit of piss taking, which actually has some truth in it too. Don't really care what goes on in it to be honest, but FFS lighten up. When ''WE'' get 50 million for Kyle Walker, remember that YOU see exactly fcuk all of it, that might help a bit. 

Whatever does need Q-man back, but this isn't to be confused with multi spamming idiots like Byrne, they are not all ''great craic'', and one and the same thing. If lads are going to do a bit of trolling, fair enough, but have a bit of wit about it. Hurling thread is the great survivor here, though I probably shouldn't be drawing attention to it, a rare example of one that trolls generally stay away from. 

The oul travel section is a great thing though, and I'm sure it is a great help to many newcomers. If we can manage to stop one or 2 eejits posting flights on it before said flights are even up, it would be even better. Here's a tip, tell yer mates first, do what ye like, put it on here when the flight is available and yer all booked up. Everyone will still think yer a hero, don't worry. That was an unwritten rule back in the day too, I even remember posts being deleted. No harm to revisit that one (pet hate). 

Other than that, all good Thumbs Up

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 8:47pm
Its superfluous at this stage, but aye, good post Deise

Edited by AntrimMan - 04 Aug 2017 at 8:47pm
@AntrimMan85
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 9:46pm
We still have Deise . Thank God
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2017 at 11:33pm
Anyone who doesn't remember being an adult before the internet should have to get a special license to post on here.   .

Sham, Q man and BSM in charge of license

Edited by Baldrick - 08 Aug 2017 at 11:34pm
AKA pedantic kunt
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Baldrick<b> Baldrick wrote:

Anyone who doesn't remember being an adult before the internet
should have to get a special license to post on here.   .

Sham, Q man and BSM in charge of license

I never knew you were quite that old, Wink
I know nothing :-)
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 12:56am
YBIG circa 2009 - those were the days ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 12:59am
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

YBIG circa 2009 - those were the days ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

I dunno, I always liked 2010 meself.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 8:17am
We jumped the shark it seems around Euro2012 when a whole tidal wave of new arrivals came in.
The small 'away travellers forum' we had before made way for a huge football/travel advice forum for all those travelling to Poland. Our success became part of our downfall in a way.

But this thread wasn't so much to start reminiscing about the good old days and saying how great things were then. As was said, things evolve. We get older. And it's only natural new members join, some of which are a great addition!

It was more to welcome back any of our long lost pals, and to perhaps rekindle their interest a bit.
We need all the 'oldies' back on here to balance it all out a bit again LOL
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, itโ€™s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:59am
100% Agree, I remember when I first joined in late 2010 just before Slovakia away I think, you could spend hours in the Whatever section just laughing at Quey berating some poor f**ker who mistook something he said.

Then as you say we qualified for Poland and the whole brigade of bandwagons came on here looking for tickets or cheap places to enjoy the craic.

It seemed to get worse after that after the debacle which was the 2014 campaign the so called bandwagons spending more time on here abusing the team and FAI and others posters until they finally either 1)got banned or 2) Got a nice warning.

2015 seen a bit of rejig into that pandemonium but not as bad.

But as people say this place has grown from the humble beginnings I'd imagine the lads who started the forum are proud of what they created, it has been the starting of many a friendship and adversary but what would we do with out it.

Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic