You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ybig book club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babysis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Críostóir Óg Críostóir Óg wrote:

Originally posted by The Count The Count wrote:

Just read 'Ten Men dead" and "The damned United" on holidays last week, both tremendous books Clap

Ten Men Dead is a fantastic book, v.topical at the moment because the families are once again battling with all the relevant sides over what actually happened, as they do nearly every year around the anniversaries.

In general just read through the thread there, I have a stack of books from Uni, most of them are recent ones too, you wouldn't believe how interpretations change, largely because the state has backed off a bit aswell and aren't as protective of the memories of individuals (eg Pearse & 1916 in general).

I have two good books 'northern protestants - an unsettled people' and 'the faithful tribe' (an insige into the Orange Order, Apprencite Boys, Royal Black from the perspective of a southern Catholic). Both books are fantastic insights into what is largely considered simply 'the other side', and helps to explain the logic and perceptions of unionist/unionism whether you agree with it or not.

In terms of the emigration, I have two very good books here Wherever Green is Worn by Tim Pat Coogan which is a hefty look at the Irish Disapora in Britain and America, but the book I'd recommend to absolutely anybody is Choosing the Green by Brian Dooley, which outlines why so many 2nd and 3rd Generation Irish claim such strong affinity to the homeland having been born in Britain.

If anybody would like a lend of any of these send me a PM. A lot of the other books I can't really send because I use them for Uni in most of modules for reference, but these ones are good general outlines and give good understandings to a lot of assumptions in Irish History.

Wherever Green is Worn by Tim Pat Coogan. Tim Pat Coogan is very good Clap- used that book alot in my dissertation a few years back. Geek
First Commander-Galway Regatta
trapsflipflop View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapsflipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:08am
enjoyed the dammed utd , what i do is download them on audiobook stick it on ipod listen to it while going for run, best of both worlds
The game is about
Being effective
Being aggressive
Winning the ball
Getting it on with the play
We'll Put 'em Under Pressure

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:10am
Originally posted by trapsflipflop trapsflipflop wrote:

enjoyed the dammed utd , what i do is download them on audiobook stick it on ipod listen to it while going for run, best of both worlds

where do you do that Trapsflipflop + is it just some random bloke/bird reading it to ye? How long does it take to read a book out loud?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapsflipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:13am

where do you do that Trapsflipflop + is it just some random bloke/bird reading it to ye? How long does it take to read a book out loud?

i use rapidfind.com they have loads and the guy off life on mars read dammed utd

The game is about
Being effective
Being aggressive
Winning the ball

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:18am
cant see online audiobooks on the site trap..just glass bottles and jarsDisapprove
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Percy View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:20am

Anyone recommend any good books on the Famine?

Anything by Delia Smith
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:41am
LOL

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:43am
Listening to books are yiz five year olds??
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Gouldinho09 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gouldinho09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:44am
Originally posted by McGoldrick2284 McGoldrick2284 wrote:

In the middle of reading this, cracking book -

Vince McMahon didnt screw Bret Hart, Bret Hart screwed Bret Hart

The_Yank View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 10:44am
UCD Physios ...We feel you up when you're feeling down
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 11:11am
Gazsh will be chuffed this is back Clap
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapsflipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by gazsh gazsh wrote:

cant see online audiobooks on the site trap..just glass bottles and jarsDisapprove

try this link gazsh

or if you go to a torrent site and type name of book they should come up what i do is look at amazon for good ones then search for the freebies 
The game is about
Being effective
Being aggressive
Winning the ball

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 1:05pm

try this link gazsh

or if you go to a torrent site and type name of book they should come up what i do is look at amazon for good ones then search for the freebies 

good man trapThumbs%20Up
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 1:07pm

try this link gazsh

How long does it take to listen to a book Trap?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapsflipflop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 3:12pm
depends count,some books bigger than others, i run for about a hour a time 3 times a week so the dammed united took me about two weeks
The game is about
Being effective
Being aggressive
Winning the ball

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 10:18am
BUMP Thumbs%20Up
AidoM View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Real life Fr Austin Purcell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AidoM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 10:40am

Bit of a proposal for you all lads..i'm in no way a book worm but i really wanna read into a lot of irish history..wanna educate myself on the easter rising, the irish emigrating throughout the last century, the hunger strike, bloody sunday, the good friday agreement etc etc..

the only thing ìs..books are expensive and library's probably wouldn't stock an awful lot of these books although i suppose it's worth a try checkin..

anyway, was thinkin it would be a good idea for anyone interested in maybe settin somethin up where a few of us met up maybe once a month and swopped books..that way it costs nobody any money

could be any type of book at all..there was a tread dedicated to the best ex footballer's autobiography durin the wk and they could be swopped too..i have a lot of books on irish crime etc that i could swop..

so anyway, u get the idea..lettuce us know what the general opinion ìs and if there's any takers then we'll sort somethin..

Did you try out the libraries Gazsh ? They really have a large stock of history books, and if they haven't got a particular book in one branch they can get it in from other branches. The library assistants will also give good advice on the type of books which you would be looking for. Thumbs%20Up
But what they do have and no-one can deny this now, they have the finest collection of boilers in the world! And I include Canada in that!
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 10:41am
yeah i got loads from the library aido..good manThumbs%20Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic