You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ybig book club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ybig book club
    Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 4:49pm
Bit of a proposal for you all lads..i'm in no way a book worm but i really wanna read into a lot of irish history..wanna educate myself on the easter rising, the irish emigrating throughout the last century, the hunger strike, bloody sunday, the good friday agreement etc etc..

the only thing ìs..books are expensive and library's probably wouldn't stock an awful lot of these books although i suppose it's worth a try checkin..

anyway, was thinkin it would be a good idea for anyone interested in maybe settin somethin up where a few of us met up maybe once a month and swopped books..that way it costs nobody any money

could be any type of book at all..there was a tread dedicated to the best ex footballer's autobiography durin the wk and they could be swopped too..i have a lot of books on irish crime etc that i could swop..

so anyway, u get the idea..lettuce us know what the general opinion ìs and if there's any takers then we'll sort somethin..
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 4:54pm
Ok seriously, the best for that are your school books...i dusted mine off a few years back and "f**k why didnt i listen in class"
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 4:58pm
We weren't taught irish history in school..our knobhead of a teacher said the american revolution would be easier to learn and taught us that instead..absolutely ridiculous..
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:02pm
Well go borrow one. I've read a few of the books on the Rising etc and by chapter 5 you;re lost with all the names,dates and places mentioned. Those school books do a great summary (with pictures!!)

brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:02pm
Thats an idea, Gazsh, but trying to get this crew to meet up once a year is hard enough, let alone once a month!!

Originally posted by gazsh gazsh wrote:

Bit of a proposal for you all lads..i'm in no way a book worm but i really wanna read into a lot of irish history..wanna educate myself on the easter rising, the irish emigrating throughout the last century, the hunger strike, bloody sunday, the good friday agreement etc etc..

the only thing ìs..books are expensive and library's probably wouldn't stock an awful lot of these books although i suppose it's worth a try checkin..

anyway, was thinkin it would be a good idea for anyone interested in maybe settin somethin up where a few of us met up maybe once a month and swopped books..that way it costs nobody any money

could be any type of book at all..there was a tread dedicated to the best ex footballer's autobiography durin the wk and they could be swopped too..i have a lot of books on irish crime etc that i could swop..

so anyway, u get the idea..lettuce us know what the general opinion ìs and if there's any takers then we'll sort somethin..
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
theworm2345 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theworm2345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:05pm
There are a few good books that I learned my Irish history from
Dublin: Foundation (2004) titled The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga in North America
Ireland: Awakening (2006) titled The Rebels of Ireland: The Dublin Saga in North America

Both by Edward Rutherford and both are Historical Fiction so they tell the story from a fictional character's point of view but with the accurate (I think) events.   

Ireland: A Novel by Frank Delaney

is a good one too, alot like the first two
I loved all 3, but I don't really read anymore besides for school

Edited by theworm2345 - 18 Nov 2008 at 5:08pm
League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:05pm
Its a really gay idea anyway....

"Hey Billybob are you not coming to mob up for this dust up??"

"No mate, i've to meet the YBIG lads in the library to loan out my Cecilia Ahearn book"

They have one in work and by god if you're seen anyway near it your car will get "keyed"

LOL
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theworm2345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by billybob billybob wrote:

Its a really gay idea anyway....

"Hey Billybob are you not coming to mob up for this dust up??"

"No mate, i've to meet the YBIG lads in the library to loan out my Cecilia Ahearn book"

They have one in work and by god if you're seen anyway near it your car will get "keyed"

LOL
I'm sort of inclined to agree actually.  My mom MADE me join a f**king book club when I was 10 or so.  It f**king sucked.  She had to bribe me with Hostess cupcakes (maybe called DingDongs) and Ho Hos (really, this was the names) to go.  Point is, it was gay as hell

Edited by theworm2345 - 18 Nov 2008 at 5:09pm
League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:12pm
Haha Worm...

Sure we can always do Salsa dancing instead????
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theworm2345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:26pm
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:27pm
Haha...an American thing me thinks.
If Gazsh put n Baby Ruths and Cherry Coke im in!!
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:39pm
Was expectin the 'thats gay anyway' reaction..just wanted to read a few irish books..not give john o'shea a massage..it does sound a bit 10 year old girlish but it would be worthwhile if a few numbers were up for it..
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:44pm
Dont mind gazsh, sudying history in college at the mo, have a load of very good books at home about the rising, and irish history in general. Will post the names up 2moro, there well worth a read.
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:45pm

You wont get numbers for this.....where would ya meet? The Racer? Theyd love that there im sure....look i'll pass my school bokks onto McG if you like.

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:45pm

you'll never get people to meet up, 2nd hand book stores Gazsh you could get a fair few historical books in there..

never stop educating yourself it's what seperates us from the animals, that and clothes..can't think of anything else. Oh wait baboons arses we don't have them either 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theworm2345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by gazsh gazsh wrote:

Was expectin the 'thats gay anyway' reaction..just wanted to read a few irish books..not give john o'shea a massage..it does sound a bit 10 year old girlish but it would be worthwhile if a few numbers were up for it..

No one said reading is gay, only meeting with a bunch of guys and discussing them.  I posted some good Irish history books in the first page along with my horrific, traumatic, gay story
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 3:01am
good idea actually, but would fall flat on its arse after the first meeting
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 5:45pm
was in easons yesterday buying a quality book (great irish speeches) and saw that they had "Irish history for Dummies".... might be a quick couple of hundred years into 150 pages if anyone would lower themselves to buying one of these books!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic