You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YBIG Blog:Hibernian-The Lost Connection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrstpatsfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YBIG Blog:Hibernian-The Lost Connection
    Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 12:56pm
http://www.ybig.ie/blog-detail.asp?id=6&nid=33

any thoughts on the article?does it stimulate an interest in hibs amongst an irish football fanatic?
St Patricks Athletic 1929-2009
Sponsored Links

jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 1:17pm
Being a Celtic fan myself, to be honest not really. Hibs and Celtic fans dont like each other just like Celtic and Hearts etc etc, only one team in Scotland for me and thats Celtic. Altough was in Spain one year with 20 Hibernian CSC had all the tattoos etc they were good craic but i wouldnt like to meet them on a Hibs-Celtic match day.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 1:23pm
Very good read, but i have as Hibs mean as much to me as Celtic...... Which is nothing (unless their playing RangersWink) Nice to see that theres lots of Irish players though.
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 2:20pm
Very interesting article. Don't really support any of them, but always keep an eye on them with the scores. Good to know a bit more about their history I suppose.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Gouldinho09 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gouldinho09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 2:55pm
Its all about trophies and gloryhunting, plus the fact septic turn their ground into an Irish theme park. When is the leprechaun slide getting built?

I do like Hibs by the way. Great youth system only to be pissed on annually by the gruesome twosome.

Edited by Gouldinho09 - 25 Nov 2009 at 2:56pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 3:05pm
Should be ready for next season Gouldinho, also plans for a Guinness theme swimming pool, i'm applying for a season ticket for that right nowTongue
Engpad12345 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Engpad12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 3:49pm
Having a great start to the season aswel. Would love to see them dislodge one of the old firm!
You've had a Manny
BirminghamDamo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirminghamDamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 4:17pm

My Uncle played for Hibs, a lot of anti Irish Racism and anti Catholic sectarianism went on in the 60's there, it was them also who wanted the tricolour removed from Celtic

NEW EURO 2012 BADGE AVAILABLE, PM FOR DETAILS!
Belfast Green View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belfast Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by BirminghamDamo BirminghamDamo wrote:

My Uncle played for Hibs, a lot of anti Irish Racism and anti Catholic sectarianism went on in the 60's there, it was them also who wanted the tricolour removed from Celtic

Didn't know that Damo.

Don't have a big interest in Scottish football apart from following the Irish players progress.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2009 at 5:16pm
good piece mrstpatsClap
SlovSam View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlovSam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 10:56am

Hi people/

I'm a Hibs fan from Edinburgh and the Hibs history article was posted on one of the Hibs websites and initially I was a little critical.

However I would like to apologise as I wasn't aware that it was a Hibs history article posted on an Irish forum for Irish readers and in retrospect it is a very useful and well written source of information about the history of Hibernian and the historical context in which they evolvedSmile

I would though take strong issue with the subsequent comments that Hibs in the 1960's (I think you mean the 1950's) were anti Irish and were in some way involved with Glasgow Celtic's dispute with the Scottish Football Association concerning the flying of the Irish Tricolour over Celtic Park.

Here is an extract from a letter a group of Hibs fans (including myself) sent to the Celtic View newspaper a number of years ago which to their credit they published in response to similar claims.

I refer to your article ‘Fly the Flag’ published on 14th January 2004 in relation to Harry Swan chairman of Hibernian FC and his supposed attempt to ‘eradicate all Irish references and links to the Edinburgh club’, specifically the old harp mosaic’s which adorned the main South entrance.

In fact ’The Harp’ remained in place for the first 22 years of Mr Swan’s chairmanship until ground reconstruction and deterioritation in the mid 1950’s meant the entrance had to be demolished. In its place an expensive new mosaic harp was commissioned from craftsman in Ireland and shipped over to Easter Road where it hung in the boardroom. When Harry Swan died it was gifted to his widow by the club.

Interestingly Mr Swan had also appointed his very close friend, the catholic priest Monsignor Miley as ‘players councillor’ the first and very forward looking post in Scottish football. Furthermore on the death of his advisor and fellow director Owen Brannigan who was ‘the last of the Auld Irish’, Mr Swan carried the Hibernian wreath in the form of a traditional broken harp to the Requiem Mass at St Patricks Cathedral in Edinburgh.

I would also like to point out in relation to the ‘Flag flutter’ that it was originally the Glasgow Magistrates not Mr Swan who advocated the ‘flag ban’, that it was the Referee’s Committee who upheld that decision (incidentally a committee that was chaired by Sir Robert Kelly of Celtic not Mr Swan) and that it was George Graham the secretary of the SFA (the undoubted Jim Farry or Ernie Walker of his day) who had overall responsibility for implementing the recommendations of the Glasgow Magistrates and the Referee’s Committee.

Ultimately, while I would agree that the SFA adopted a very heavy handed and extremely confrontational approach to Celtic FC during the ‘Flag flutter’ of 1952 , I would suggest that to imply that Mr Swan had some heinous anti Irish agenda is both unfair and highly inaccurate.

Hope this helps clarify the historical situation and all the best to you all.

Cheers

Edited by SlovSam - 27 Nov 2009 at 11:18am
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 11:36am
Thanks for posting SlovSlam and good luck against FalkirkThumbs%20Up
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 4:56am
great read mrstpatsfc, interesting stuff in there. any books on them about the early days you can recommend?
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
samscafe View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samscafe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2009 at 8:27am
Celtic's crest is not a shamrock, it is a 4 leaf clover
Certain mods are complete wankstains
BirminghamDamo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirminghamDamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by SlovSam SlovSam wrote:

Hi people/

I'm a Hibs fan from Edinburgh and the Hibs history article was posted on one of the Hibs websites and initially I was a little critical.

However I would like to apologise as I wasn't aware that it was a Hibs history article posted on an Irish forum for Irish readers and in retrospect it is a very useful and well written source of information about the history of Hibernian and the historical context in which they evolvedSmile

I would though take strong issue with the subsequent comments that Hibs in the 1960's (I think you mean the 1950's) were anti Irish and were in some way involved with Glasgow Celtic's dispute with the Scottish Football Association concerning the flying of the Irish Tricolour over Celtic Park.

Here is an extract from a letter a group of Hibs fans (including myself) sent to the Celtic View newspaper a number of years ago which to their credit they published in response to similar claims.

I refer to your article ‘Fly the Flag’ published on 14th January 2004 in relation to Harry Swan chairman of Hibernian FC and his supposed attempt to ‘eradicate all Irish references and links to the Edinburgh club’, specifically the old harp mosaic’s which adorned the main South entrance.

In fact ’The Harp’ remained in place for the first 22 years of Mr Swan’s chairmanship until ground reconstruction and deterioritation in the mid 1950’s meant the entrance had to be demolished. In its place an expensive new mosaic harp was commissioned from craftsman in Ireland and shipped over to Easter Road where it hung in the boardroom. When Harry Swan died it was gifted to his widow by the club.

Interestingly Mr Swan had also appointed his very close friend, the catholic priest Monsignor Miley as ‘players councillor’ the first and very forward looking post in Scottish football. Furthermore on the death of his advisor and fellow director Owen Brannigan who was ‘the last of the Auld Irish’, Mr Swan carried the Hibernian wreath in the form of a traditional broken harp to the Requiem Mass at St Patricks Cathedral in Edinburgh.

I would also like to point out in relation to the ‘Flag flutter’ that it was originally the Glasgow Magistrates not Mr Swan who advocated the ‘flag ban’, that it was the Referee’s Committee who upheld that decision (incidentally a committee that was chaired by Sir Robert Kelly of Celtic not Mr Swan) and that it was George Graham the secretary of the SFA (the undoubted Jim Farry or Ernie Walker of his day) who had overall responsibility for implementing the recommendations of the Glasgow Magistrates and the Referee’s Committee.

Ultimately, while I would agree that the SFA adopted a very heavy handed and extremely confrontational approach to Celtic FC during the ‘Flag flutter’ of 1952 , I would suggest that to imply that Mr Swan had some heinous anti Irish agenda is both unfair and highly inaccurate.

Hope this helps clarify the historical situation and all the best to you all.

Cheers

Yep you are 100% right, my Uncle just made it up, what would he know eh? Next you will tell me PAF had no influence whatsoever in Hibs?
NEW EURO 2012 BADGE AVAILABLE, PM FOR DETAILS!
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 4:03pm
Ya a pretty good article. Hibs are always the team I keep an eye out for in Scotland, especially after spending a summer in Edinburgh. Always seem a decent club besides the two head wreaker clubs from Glasgow.
samscafe View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samscafe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 5:39am
head wreckers from Glasgow, my that Edinburgh cringe has ingrained.
Certain mods are complete wankstains
SlovSam View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlovSam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 7:22am

Yep you are 100% right, my Uncle just made it up, what would he know eh? Next you will tell me PAF had no influence whatsoever in Hibs?
[/QUOTE]

I have little idea what the PAF is?

Is it something to do with the nasty little Protestant Action party that was around my city early in the 1930's.?They had 1/2 councillors and were quite strong around the Gorgie/Dalry area and disappeared over the next few years.

It's quite hard to think what this would have to do with Hibernian Football club given it's origins were based in Ireland and the Irish diaspora in Scotland.

I am not sure what your Uncle believes but I am quite willing to debate his thoughts or your opinions from a standpoint of an open mind and historical factsThumbs%20Up

Edited by SlovSam - 01 Dec 2009 at 7:24am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic