You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wroclaw

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Ah just the flight. Booked it the wrong f**king way LOL

Beer  made me laugh anyway. Hard luck Bhob. Hope you have a good trip........ if you make it to Poland !! LOL
Sponsored Links

erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erimus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:01pm
Epic fail!!

Flying in here on the 8th from stanstead
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
daffyp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daffyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Ah just the flight. Booked it the wrong f**king way LOL

Did Eire32 teach you how to book flights??
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 5:44pm
Jeezzzzz so many flights to pick from out of Poland id things go pear shaped in the group stages , still think we we all be in the Ukraine Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:14pm
bump 

Anybody ever been/stay a night here before? 

We're thinking of staying a couple of nights here before heading to Warsaw on the Friday.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:16pm
The Germany game is on in Dublin Thursday night. You not going?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:17pm
Yup its a class city. I can recommend the chopper hostel which is just off the old square...has a bar next to it as well.

Lovely city to visit for a day or two.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The Germany game is on in Dublin Thursday night. You not going?

Fook forgot about that game! We were looking at booking flights this weekend LOLEmbarrassed

I better call off Defcon 3 so.

Will book for the Friday so.

Edited by irishmufc - 12 Aug 2015 at 8:28pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:28pm
Anyone on for visiting Auschwitz and Krakow the few days after the game?

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

bump 

We're thinking of staying a couple of nights here before heading to Warsaw on the Friday.

I have, flew home from there after the Euros, very nice city, if a little quiet in midweek. University city too if I remember rightly, so midweek will probably be livlier in October than when we were there in June. Square something along the lines of Poznan, probably more ornate & a little bit more upmarket too. 

Decent pubs/restaurants in the square and in the streets just off the square. Stuff to see, didn't do an awful lot in that regard, went on one of those short golf buggy type tours around the city centre, tis all pleasant enough without being anything too exciting. 

There is a giant chair on a roundabout there somewhere (very Australian concept , that) which is nearly as silly as anything the Ozzies have ever managed (and they have quite a few of these 'giant' objects knocking about in Australia, usually off motorways), and Tumski bridge, one of these bridges that you & yer Mrs can put a lock on to signify how tight you are, or at least I think that is what it signifies. There is an old Cathedral (St Johns I think) which is fairly impressive if yer into the oul architecture, or indeed praying, or even both, and that is about it for my travel tips on Wroclaw. 

Tis pronounced something like ''Ross woff'' by the locals, ie nothing like what it looks like to us when it is written down. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

bump 

I have, flew home from there after the Euros, very nice city, if a little quiet in midweek. University city too if I remember rightly, so midweek will probably be livlier in October than when we were there in June. Square something along the lines of Poznan, probably more ornate & a little bit more upmarket too. 

Decent pubs/restaurants in the square and in the streets just off the square. Stuff to see, didn't do an awful lot in that regard, went on one of those short golf buggy type tours around the city centre, tis all pleasant enough without being anything too exciting. 

There is a giant chair on a roundabout there somewhere (very Australian concept , that) which is nearly as silly as anything the Ozzies have ever managed (and they have quite a few of these 'giant' objects knocking about in Australia, usually off motorways), and Tumski bridge, one of these bridges that you & yer Mrs can put a lock on to signify how tight you are, or at least I think that is what it signifies. There is an old Cathedral (St Johns I think) which is fairly impressive if yer into the oul architecture, or indeed praying, or even both, and that is about it for my travel tips on Wroclaw. 

Tis pronounced something like ''Ross woff'' by the locals, ie nothing like what it looks like to us when it is written down. 

Pronounced ''Vratslav'' or ''Vrotslov''Thumbs Up

Edited by Trap junior - 12 Aug 2015 at 8:36pm

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:42pm
Wikitravel says (Wiki is NEVER wrong)- pronounced Vrots-swaf, I was close enough.  Muff will probably drink so much he will think he is in Poznan anyway & it will make little difference.  

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Yup its a class city. I can recommend the chopper hostel which is just off the old square...has a bar next to it as well.

Lovely city to visit for a day or two.

Good stuff Coleman though it was a mosque I had in mind rather than pubs Wink

It looks like a fairly chilled out/studenty kind of spot with a nice old town. 

Was in Krakow,Warsaw,Gdansk before but not there so will be nice to see.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:47pm

bump 

More like 'Vrotswav' actually Thumbs Up the L in Wroclaw has a line through it which makes it pronounced like our W

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 12 Aug 2015 at 8:48pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:48pm

Anyone on for visiting Auschwitz and Krakow the few days after the game?

+1

Could do with some cheering up after our faint hopes of making the playoffs disintegrate Cry
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

bump 

More like 'Vrotswav' actually Thumbs Up the L in Wroclaw has a line through it which makes it pronounced like our W

Don't you mean a V? LOLWink
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 9:00pm

bump 

Nah that was never an issue between myself and my right hand bride. Wink

Would be a big history buff and love any kind of impressive architecture. The only problem I find is on these lads away trips is you end up not seeing half the stuff you want to as you're either boozing or hanging from the night before. 

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 11:26pm
I was in Krakow 2 years ago, class spot, def worth a visit if you get the chance Thumbs Up

Lovely big square in the middle of the old town, full of restaurants and shops. You'll see motorised carts (like golf carts) going round town, jump on one of these for tours round town (the guides who drive them are very good and very knowledgeable).

It's also worth taking excursions out of town to the Salt Mines as well as Auschwitz, there'll be tour operators round the town offering discounts for booking both tours, and believe me, both are well worth visiting (if you have the time).  If you only have time for one of the 2 tours, I'd recommend Auschwitz, even though you'll no doubt find it quite moving as the tour guide explains in depth the horrors that went on there during the war. It includes the chronic conditions the inmates had to live in, how the new arrivals were selected for the labour camps and the gas chambers, 'that' railway platform and of course the gas chambers themselves. Grim stuff but a tour that everyone really should do if they're in the area, if it doesn't give you a perspective on life I don't know what will.

On a brighter note, if you choose the Salt Mines, you won't be disappointed, in fact you'll often find yourself wondering 'how the hell did they do that!?' as you make your way through, especially the church.

Edited by ConorMac77 - 12 Aug 2015 at 11:42pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic