You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst Sports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Cycling. Awful, awful sport
It's a hobby
Not keen on cricket,baseball,motor racing,basketball
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Why
It is a fitness and endurance test, not a sport. A sport needs a modicum of skill. Where is the skill in dedication. Huge respect to the likes of Wiggins who have seemingly done it without 'medical improvement' but it is hardly creative.
Ignorance at its best if you do not know there is skill in cycling. 

Also whose definition of sport did you just pull out there.  Is it your own. 

I do not think football can take the high moral ground when it coems to "medical improvement" Otherwise it may look very silly over the next few years. 

Huge amount of skill in cycling. Massive amount of tactics also.
AKA pedantic kunt
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:29pm
I watch more or less everything. Love a good F1 race (would watch most of the races - up to the last race this year, the title was on the line), cricket (actually prefer test to T20 - it's a real battle of wits and concentration - wickets are about as frequent as goals in football in test cricket - usually watch most of the ashes in the UK, and other England tests if they are on and there's nothing else), baseball (nothing beats a home run, and they are about as frequent as goals in football as well - but pitching is an art form), NFL (the skill of the QBs, the speed and trickery of the RBs and WRs, the tackles and the physicality of the defences - it's an awesome spectacle), cycling (usually only the TDF, but sometimes the Giro as well - it's all about the tactics - and the sprint finishes are a great spectacle too when they happen and the climbing ability is incredible, literally, in the way the riders crack and the top top few manage to defeat the mountains day after day), tennis (the athleticism is great, i got up to watch the Aussie open final and semi for Andy Murray last week - I'd probably rank them Murray, Federer, Djokovic, Nadal in my personal preference rankings - I love the whole angry scot persona), golf (who didn't watch the Ryder Cup and love it, and there is little to beat the back nine of a major for drama - the choker and the player surging up the field, it's almost always guaranteed drama), snooker (if you have ever played, you appreciate the difficulty and the skill, it's incredible), darts (same as snooker - if you play, you know that at the bottom end, it is a game but at the top, there is no doubt but that it is a sport), hell, even bowls can be exciting.

That said, I have no time for the "you attack, we attack" sports of ice hockey and basketball. Ice hockey, in particular, seems to be relatively a matter of luck given the really high percentage of shots that are saved and hit the post. Winning in ice hockey, while it involves skill, seems to me to require a bit of luck in that you are hitting the puck in the direction of the net and just hoping it squirms in. Frankly, in a lot of the games, especially the close ones, the winner is determined much, much more by luck than close games in other sports.

And basketball is horsewank. Especially near the end of close games with all the fouling that goes on to save time. Pile of sh*te.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:33pm
Would never watch NBA but love march madness

Edited by nvidic - 30 Jan 2013 at 1:34pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:34pm
I'd watch anything at a high level, love Darts world championships, no time for the rest of the year, love cricket World Cu, wouldn't watch the rest of the year, Ice Hockey I got into when living in Canada, cycling would watch the TDF.

Can't think of any sport where I wouldn't watch one event of it a year, snooker perhaps, Rugby League too (although no doubt if i lived in oz I'd probably get into it).  Show jumping?
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:37pm
F1 or any motorsport really.  Would watch the start of the odd F1 race to see if any pile ups or the like happen but couldn't watch it for longer than the 1st lap.

always found test Cricket boring although would gladly watch the ODI's or T20 games.
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:38pm
its not a sport unless it has a ball
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:39pm

Why
It is a fitness and endurance test, not a sport. A sport needs a modicum of skill. Where is the skill in dedication. Huge respect to the likes of Wiggins who have seemingly done it without 'medical improvement' but it is hardly creative.

I do not think football can take the high moral ground when it coems to "medical improvement" Otherwise it may look very silly over the next few years. 

Read the first post Baldy, it asks what is the worst sport "in your opinion", you defend people on other threads saying they're entitled to their opinion yet argue with someone else that has a different opinion to you!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I'd watch anything at a high level, love Darts world championships, no time for the rest of the year, love cricket World Cu, wouldn't watch the rest of the year, Ice Hockey I got into when living in Canada, cycling would watch the TDF.

Can't think of any sport where I wouldn't watch one event of it a year, snooker perhaps, Rugby League too (although no doubt if i lived in oz I'd probably get into it).  Show jumping?

Event junkie.

But seriously, you've covered more or less my viewpoint too, except I don't like Ice Hockey. The pinnacle of any sport is usually good. I did watch the Stanley Cup finals when the Bruins won two years ago (?) but I'm not a fan.

Cricket World Cup is not the highlight of cricket, it's day four and five of the deciding test of any series.
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

Sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others Thumbs Up

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:43pm

Used to watch a lot of cricket, but think its been over killed with so much of it on and in so many different forms of the game now.

Wouldn't say i dont like the sport, just dont watch it as much as usual. Used to love watching the test matches in the summer that England were involved in when i was off on the summer hols from school
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

Darts, Ice Hockey, Archery, Running, Cycling, Javelin, High Jump, Swimming, Hammer, Gymnastics, Long Jump, Shooting, Sailing, Rowing, Horse Racing......
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 1:50pm
everyone against motorsports Cry

Get out and spectate at a rally or go to a motorX or grass track race. Far more motor sports than just F1. MotoGP has got a huge following over the past decade too.

Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Why

Read the first post Baldy, it asks what is the worst sport "in your opinion", you defend people on other threads saying they're entitled to their opinion yet argue with someone else that has a different opinion to you!

He is making statements of fact.  Subtle difference. If you notice in my post I said, I do not enjoy Basketball or Baseball but I would not state that they have no skill etc.  
AKA pedantic kunt
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 3:12pm

He is making statements of fact.  Subtle difference. If you notice in my post I said, I do not enjoy Basketball or Baseball but I would not state that they have no skill etc.  

He never said it is a fact, that is his opinion and he is entitled to it, which you've been preaching a lot recently Wink
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 3:16pm
He did not say he did not like cycling he said it has no skill. There is difference between those statements.

His opinion is that he does not like cycling which I would respect. However he added that it has no skill which is wrong.

Huge difference between what you prefer in sports music tatoos eyc and what are in fact statement of fact such as there is no skill in cycling, because there is.

I would have no debate with someone not liking cycling.
I do not like basketball but I would not be dumb enough to say there is no skill involved because that would be factually inaccurate.

Usually the justification for an opinion is where people make these general inaccurate statements, instead of just leaving it at, I do not like it because I find it boring.
AKA pedantic kunt
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 3:21pm
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2013 at 3:41pm
NFL, really don't get it or middle who pretend to like it to be cool. 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic