Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst LOI Ground?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:42am
The question was 'Worst Ground' !!!

No-one mentioned atmosphere.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:52am
Away section at Dalymount is falling apart. 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Depends on your criteria of what makes it the 'worst ground'! I love the likes of Drogs away end tbh!
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:30pm

Exactly, a lot of the complaints about lack of atmosphere in tallaght really means lack of occupancy in the away section. Tallaghts away section is big, most away supports are small.

PAOK had no trouble creating an atmosphere.

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:38pm
No it doesn't, never noise from home end when I've been there and ever if there was, the stadium is built as such it isn't captured in like it is in other grounds. Doesn't say much that the stadium needs to be full for the atmosphere to be good either.

Compare that to Drogs, for instance, where next to nobody can make a great atmosphere, add to that you're nearly on the pitch.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 1:10pm
Drogheda by a long way.

As bad as parts of our ground is, it still gets a European license up to a certail lever, hunky dorey didn't

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Depends on your criteria of what makes it the 'worst ground'! I love the likes of Drogs away end tbh!

Defo the best ground for atmosphere.
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
Jason Kelly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Drogheda by a long way.

As bad as parts of our ground is, it still gets a European license up to a certail lever, hunky dorey didn't

At least Drogheda has a roof.

Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:34pm
Cork is the worst for toilets in the away section. Two portaloos for a few hundred fans to share. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:38pm
My first "proper" game I remember attending was a LOI selection against Everton at United Park in 1988. 
Judging by what I can see on Soccer Republic, the ground hasn't changed at all since !
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Los Aros Los Aros wrote:

Cork is the worst for toilets in the away section. Two portaloos for a few hundred fans to share. 

Its grand for a piss.

Who takes a dump in a LOI ground?
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Jason Kelly Jason Kelly wrote:

Its grand for a piss.

The queue is the problem. Did cork not get a grant a few years ago that was supposed to go towards toilets in the away section? I remember reading something like that before.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:24pm

We have planning permission for a toilet block in the away end. Something to do with property ownership is holding it up. It's supposed to be sorted this year.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:28pm

Its grand for a piss.

What kind of a sh*t excuse is that? Sometimes people need to take a dump.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:36pm

Its grand for a piss.

The queue is the problem. Did cork not get a grant a few years ago that was supposed to go towards toilets in the away section? I remember reading something like that before.

No, the MFA did.

They own the ground.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Its grand for a piss.

What kind of a sh*t excuse is that? Sometimes people need to take a dump.

If someone is that badly stuck they'll leave them use the toilets under the Donie Forde stand.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 5:42pm
There is no real 'right' answer to this question, I am sure it has been done to death before anyway, and what you want from a football ground is very different in the circumstances. As an away fan Oriel was definitely my least favourite, a falling down kip without any of the charm of some other grounds that are in need of repair. It doesn't even feel like a football ground in the away end, I am sure if you have been turning up  regularly there for 20 or 30 years you will hold a different view.
The RSC is another one like that, although seems to be improving. I used to always get the feeling I was in the wrong ground and that I wouldn't be watching Cork City but the under 14 heptathlon.
United Park is mentioned a lot but I have always enjoyed it, I think it is the Kenilworth Road of the LOI; a run down ground in a dodgy area, only I have never had to dodge local young fellas throwing stones in Luton!
Turners Cross hasn't really felt like a football ground since they knocked the Shed either, great location and quite comfortable but the ground lost its soul when the Shed went. Everything that was good about Cork was in there and it has been replaced by a 'Joe Delaney Stand' full of kids banging drums and repeating incongruous Celtic chants.
It is a shame that Dalymount and Tolka have both become so rundown, the former especially, it really felt like the home of Irish football down the narrowest of alleys which made it feel like an occasion. The Jodi is still the best stand in the league, I hope the renovation can hold on to the history.
Tallaght is as bad a new build as you can get, very soulless and very badly designed, I don't know how much of an impact the prolonged court case may r may not have had on it but I would hate to have to go there every fortnight.
Flancare is another worthy of a mention, located where it is makes it quite soulless as well, it always seemed much bigger than it is.
I always enjoyed Colmans, the Carlisle, the Showgrounds and Terryland, all for different reasons but they all maintain some form of character.

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:26pm
That sums it up for me

Also, athlone is like a half tallaght, another one I didn't like
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic