Topic ClosedWorrying times for the LOI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worrying times for the LOI
    Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 8:30am

The long-term objective of the FAI has always been to have a fully professional top-flight league in Ireland, which will massively improve the standard of Irish football. But while this vision is the one that all clubs should be aiming to follow, it won’t be easy for some to switch from full-time to part-time without hindering their chance as a major league competitor.

And as Eircom League luminary Keith Fahey packs his bags and gets ready to head cross-channel this winter, general secretary of the PFAI, Stephen McGuinness, has sensationally claimed that "although a return to part-time football would see a lot of the best Eircom league player’s following in (…Fahey’s) footsteps, until we bring the crowds in and bring sponsors that can sustain the wages for full-time players, I think part-time is the way to go."

This admission comes off the back of what has been a turbulent season for many Eircom League clubs. Cork City’s debts were recently revealed to be in the region of 1.3 million and unless some serious investment can be found, they face a rocky road over the next few months. City join a growing list of Irish clubs that have found themselves in financial strife over the last few seasons, regardless of the fact they boast one of the country’s largest home support.

And now with the potential implosion of the title-winners, even the most successful clubs are finding themselves staring into the financial abyss.

The move to part-time is quickly becoming the principal solution to the growing problem within League of Ireland football, and with the demise of the bigger more successful clubs being blamed on their focus on European competition McGuinness has claimed "it is time to focus on the game at a domestic level before branching out in Europe. We need to stabilize the league financially and unfortunately going part-time is the only way to achieve this".

Today however, Drogheda United boss Paul Doolin, spoke out against the proposed plan for some clubs to return to part-time football; "If we go back part-time, how are we going to start off again? It would take another 10 or even 15 years to get back to where we are now. We need to find another option."

"It is heart-breaking" moaned Doolin, "it makes you wonder do Irish people have a hunger for a domestic league anymore?"

Sponsored Links

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 8:42am
the leagues gone down the sh*tter since the FAI have taken over
gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 8:43am
I think the league has gone to the sh*tter when shels went down. It will be all back to normal next season dont worry Thumbs%20Up
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 8:46am

Domestic football went down the sh*tter when it came easily affordable for people to travel to England or anywhere in europe every week for next to nothing.

we went to Limerick by train during the summer for kildare/limerick. Think it cost us €120 euro each.and thats just the one night and train.

Wheras if I wished, I could fly to Boro,stay a nite and watch the mighty reds for the same.....
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 8:53am
of course its cheap to go to middlesboro its the worst place in britain
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 8:54am
dont be a moron youre entire life
ye know what i mean
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 9:00am
ah dont be like that i know what your saying. i dont think it really makes a difference. football tourists wouldnt go to games whatever the price is the plane to the uk are. i think its a long process of building the league. more children are interested now a days. Im not too worried on the state of the league. People need to be patient.
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 9:02am

Regardless of prices, which is one of the problems, the league seem like it could be going backwards.

You can see both arguments for and against going back to part time but the bottom line is that the LOI, as Doolin says, will be going backwards if clubs start doing this. Maybe it’s the case of making this sacrifice for the good of the future of the league, but as stated, it would be heart breaking for everyone involved in the league.

gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 9:07am
i Think clubs like Famagusta, Bate Borislav and CFR Cluj show that if you invest the rewards are great. Im worried for Pats because Kelleher looks like he is going to lose a bomb on his building project in Chicago.
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 9:11am
Originally posted by gouldinho gouldinho wrote:

i think its a long process of building the league. more children are interested now a days.. People need to be patient.

yeah i agree with that great post 10/10

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 9:11am

Didn’t know that about Pats Gouldy.

But look at Bohs – they could be screwed now. And look at what happened Shels FFS. Also Cork City in big trouble along with Drogs………the list just goes on and on. Whatever way you look at it, it’s definitely worrying times

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Didn’t know that about Pats Gouldy.

But look at Bohs – they could be screwed now. And look at what happened Shels FFS. Also Cork City in big trouble along with Drogs………the list just goes on and on. Whatever way you look at it, it’s definitely worrying times

were in serious trouble
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 9:15am

Drogs still look like they have to go part time though Glen yeah?

gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 9:20am
Shels will be the power we once were in a couple of years. Clubs should of learned from what happened with us but didnt. Shelbourne now is one if not the best run club in the country right now because we have learned from the past. Now the likes of Bohs, Drogs and Cork have seen 1st hand on how not to run a club and not spend money they dont have. Sometimes you need to take one step back to go forward and i hope now that everyone has learned the lesson. I think we have already hit the low point and its onwards and upwards.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 9:35am

Shels had one of the best, if the not the strongest LOI side in the last few years when they last won the league before the sh1t hit the fan. I thought you’s seriously had a decent chance in Europe and you’s did indeed do the league very proud. You’s are finally getting back on your feet and fair play to them for that but you’s had to start from square one again and will take years before you’s be that strong again. But it just seems that when LOI clubs get to a certain high, they seemed to be knocked down pretty bad over the last few years. It seems like this could happen to Drogs, if they go part time and Bohs, if they are indeed poxed from the high court decision.

Can understand what you say when you’re talking about patience, but fook me, it seems like it’s a slow process at the moment.

Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

Drogs still look like they have to go part time though Glen yeah?

thats if we have a clubOuch
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 11:06am
simple solution - needs to be on the telly more so more exposure, then people will go to games after a while as they will know players names and wont feel like a dope going to games where they dont no anyone. first exposure to kids aswell who are stuck in on a friday night,
The Rovers View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 11:17am
Defo worrying times for league at moment, part time may well be way to go for a period while some thought can then be put in what to do. Alot of clubs in financial trouble, however if bohs do manage to sort theyre ground situation out, they will be filthy rich and it is possible that nobody will be able to compete with them. Unless these rich millionaires decide to start buying our clubs think part time mite have to be way to go for time being anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic