Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup USA 94

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup USA 94
    Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 12:39am
So far this has been the best world cup I have seen in my lifetime. Italia 90 was brilliant but the football was sh*te in all rounds. France 98 was decent but Ireland not being there took away any fondness I had for it and the final was an anticlimax. Whatever happened Brazil was strange. 2002 was decent. It seems hot climates produce exciting football for some reason.

Anyway thought I would start a reminiscing thread about USA 94. 

The venues:

New York/New Jersey

Boston:

Washington:

Orlando:

Dallas:

Detroit:

Chicago:

Los Angeles:

San Francisco:

Edited by Trap junior - 01 Jun 2015 at 12:43am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 12:46am
Image result for world cup usa 1994      Image result for world cup usa 1994 

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 12:53am
Group Stages in Brazil were the best I've seen so far đź‘Ť
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:04am
BergkampLOL

Branco's goal

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:16am
90 was class cos of the buzz. 94 was brilliant the night we beat italy, after that it was a damp squib like euro 2012.

98 was class i thought. 2014 was brilliant up until the start of the quarter finals.

2010 was so boring, worst one in my lifetime by far. And those vuvuzelas....

There was a good group on facebook at the time: 

"Give a hungry African a fiver a month and what does he do? Buy a f**king trumpet"

Edited by rolo - 01 Jun 2015 at 1:17am
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:34am
There hasn't been a great World Cup since 1986.

2002 was sh*t.

1994 was definitely the best tournament since '86 but it was really let down by the awful final. 

Roberto Baggio dragged Italy to that final and it would have been more fitting had he and they won.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:44am
What about last year, sid? It was a great tournament. I know the later stages lacked some of the drama of the groups and last sixteen but it was still a top tournament.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:58am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

What about last year, sid? It was a great tournament. I know the later stages lacked some of the drama of the groups and last sixteen but it was still a top tournament.

After the Brazil-Chile match and that goal James (pronounced James) Rodriguez scored the tournament fell flat on its face, really.

The quarter-finals were awful.

Argentina-Holland was awful. 

The final wasn't much better than awful and only saved by what in fairness was a smashing winning goal.

Brazil 1 Germany 7 for its sheer car crash, shock value, was the only match that stood out. And I slept through the first 30 minutes, so basically missed it all. 

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 2:07am
That's two or three matches out of sixty four, though. There were plenty of amazingly entertaining matches in that tournament. Even in the knockout stage, there was plenty of drama.

Brazil Chile
Costa Rica Greece
Belgium USA
Brazil Columbia
Brazil Germany

And that's leaving aside the late drama of other games like Netherlands Mexico, Germany Algeria and Argentina Switzerland. Sure, a few of the games could have been better, but as World Cups go, it was pretty damn good. Hell, the England Italy game was probably the best draw between sides knocked out in the group stages of a tournament as there has been.

2014 is certainly the best since 1986, even if it doesn't surpass it in your mind. I agree that the final maybe wasn't brilliant (certainly, the final in 1986 was superior) but you can't tar the entire tournament just because a handful of the games in the knockouts (and by no means all of them) could have been better.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 2:19am
I was in Mexico for the Mexico Holland game watching the game on a big screen in the square in  San Cristobal de las Casas, amazing atmosphere, thousands of Mexicans all decked in green, in great spirits and then their hopes dashed.

That day encapsulated whats great about the world cup.

Whether it was good while watching on RTE I dont know, but it was an eventful and exciting game.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 2:23am
It's the knockout stages that determine whether a tournament is a classic. The knockout stages in 2014 didn't deliver enough. The group stage in 2006 was good too but again the knockout stages didn't deliver that much bar Germany-Italy.

Compare that to 1994 when all four quarter-finals were smashing matches altogether. Italy-Bulgaria was a good semi-final too. 1998 was reasonably decent, I suppose.

I won't hear anything about 2002 though which was muck, as was 2010.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 2:28am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

I was in Mexico for the Mexico Holland game watching the game on a big screen in the square in  San Cristobal de las Casas, amazing atmosphere, thousands of Mexicans all decked in green, in great spirits and then their hopes dashed.

That day encapsulated whats great about the world cup.

Whether it was good while watching on RTE I dont know, but it was an eventful and exciting game.
I was watching the final at 5am in a pub which emptied out continuously as the match wore on, and in which groups of steroid-addled freaks were going off five at a time to snort cocaine in the toilet cubicles.

I don't know what it was like watching it at home, but I bet it was better than being where I was.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 9:15am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

It's the knockout stages that determine whether a tournament is a classic. The knockout stages in 2014 didn't deliver enough. The group stage in 2006 was good too but again the knockout stages didn't deliver that much bar Germany-Italy.

Compare that to 1994 when all four quarter-finals were smashing matches altogether. Italy-Bulgaria was a good semi-final too. 1998 was reasonably decent, I suppose.

I won't hear anything about 2002 though which was muck, as was 2010.
Exactly, even if the group stages produce plenty of good/great games, excitement and entertainment which was the case last summer, it's the knockout stages that people generally remember world cups for so, for me, France '98 ranks up there for having excitement and drama right the way through even though the final was an anti-climax, US '94 was a fairly close second (completely let down by an absolutely dire final)

South Africa 2010 was on the opposite end of the scale, apart from a handful of group matches, as you say absolute muck from start to finish, and those bloody vuvuzelas...Dead
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

BergkampLOL

Branco's goal

Is he posing for a mug shot LOL
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 10:37am
Brazil was the most enjoyable month of football of my lifetime. Best world cup by a country mile
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:18pm
In my lifetime, in order ;

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:21pm
Giants Stadium was a stunning venue, really loved that day we beat Italy, shame we didn't reach any more highs in the other 3 games after that. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Giants Stadium was a stunning venue, really loved that day we beat Italy, shame we didn't reach any more highs in the other 3 games after that. 

Little Italy was fun that night.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic