You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 190>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Doesn't seem to say anywhere online but if Ireland finish 2nd and get into the playoffs, do the top 4 placed teams in the playoffs play at home in the second leg or is it decided by seeding? I assume it is the latter.   
Think it depends on the draw ie team that comes out of the bowl 1st plays the 1st leg at home, as with the Euro 2016 play-offs.

Not 100% certain that'll be the case again though, I'm only presuming that for now, as the 'European Qualifiers' are again being played under that brand with the same procedures being used ie centralised marketing and fixture scheduling etc. Like yourself, I can't seem to find any reliable info about it online.

Knowing FIFA though, they're bound to stick their nose in and come up with some sort of trick or tweak to the procedures that they'll only announce at the last minute (in the sort of fashion in which they suddenly decided to use seedings for the 2010 WC play-offs when we had been presuming it would be an open draw).  LOL

That was an even bigger scandal than the handball for me the governing body of football basically telling the World they only want the elite glorious nations in the tournament at the expense of little old Ireland. The ****s could easily shaft us and bring this in again with the fact that one of the seeded teams will be Spain or Italy. We're in for a tough Playoffs not that we have a great record in them anyway think we will have to top the Group to go to Russia. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Is there a best runner up stop available?
no, there is a worst runner-up spot, which our group should avoid.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 3:56pm

No, the opposite actually - the runners-up from all 9 groups are ranked and the team with the worst record misses out (could well be group E which has Montenegro, Denmark, Romania taking points off each other for 2nd place with Poland running away with top spot) with the others going into the play-offs.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Doesn't seem to say anywhere online but if Ireland finish 2nd and get into the playoffs, do the top 4 placed teams in the playoffs play at home in the second leg or is it decided by seeding? I assume it is the latter.   
Think it depends on the draw ie team that comes out of the bowl 1st plays the 1st leg at home, as with the Euro 2016 play-offs.

Not 100% certain that'll be the case again though, I'm only presuming that for now, as the 'European Qualifiers' are again being played under that brand with the same procedures being used ie centralised marketing and fixture scheduling etc. Like yourself, I can't seem to find any reliable info about it online.

Knowing FIFA though, they're bound to stick their nose in and come up with some sort of trick or tweak to the procedures that they'll only announce at the last minute (in the sort of fashion in which they suddenly decided to use seedings for the 2010 WC play-offs when we had been presuming it would be an open draw).  LOL

That was an even bigger scandal than the handball for me the governing body of football basically telling the World they only want the elite glorious nations in the tournament at the expense of little old Ireland. The ****s could easily shaft us and bring this in again with the fact that one of the seeded teams will be Spain or Italy. We're in for a tough Playoffs not that we have a great record in them anyway think we will have to top the Group to go to Russia. 
That was an absolute stinker alright. Once France started struggling in their group and looking like they were going to end up in the play-offs, FIFA moved the goalposts and decided there would be seeding for the play-offs to give the marquee teams like France a better chance to qualify.  Angry

At least they've made it clear from the off this time that there'll be seeding used for the play-off draw. God knows what other tricks UEFA/FIFA have up their sleeves this time though...

Which means that we really should be aiming to win the group, and God knows, we'll never have a better chance than with this group.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 4:52pm

No, the opposite actually - the runners-up from all 9 groups are ranked and the team with the worst record misses out (could well be group E which has Montenegro, Denmark, Romania taking points off each other for 2nd place with Poland running away with top spot) with the others going into the play-offs.

Denmark were the team to finish runner up in 2014 and still miss the play offs. Could they do it two world cups in a row? Just imagine how frustrating that would be.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Denmark were the team to finish runner up in 2014 and still miss the play offs. Could they do it two world cups in a row? Just imagine how frustrating that would be.
That would be just sickening. And their group is on course for that to happen again. Cry

At least the Euro 2020 groups won't have that issue, top 2 qualify automatically.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 8:02pm
If their going to seed the playoffs they should seed them based on how the second placed teams are ranked. We have a worst second placed team so the best 4 second placed teams should be seeded, if they insistent on using seeding. An open draw would be fairest. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 2:55pm
A lot of speculation linking Chris Coleman with the Crystal Palace job. All they have to do is wait two weeks. Ireland beat Austria and Wales lose in Serbia, Wales as good as out of contention. Everyone's happy. Well maybe not the lads over on apostle. Smile
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

A lot of speculation linking Chris Coleman with the Crystal Palace job. All they have to do is wait two weeks. Ireland beat Austria and Wales lose in Serbia, Wales as good as out of contention. Everyone's happy. Well maybe not the lads over on apostle. Smile
Or the Crystal Palace fans! He would be an awful appointment for them.
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 4:37pm
Wales still unbeaten I think they won't lose
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:14pm
A lot of the Welsh fans on apostle seem to be fairly optimistic about their chances in Belgrade despite missing Bale.

I assume most on here fancy Serbia to win.

I think Serbia will by a goal though wouldn't be shocked by a draw.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:27pm

A lot of the Welsh fans on apostle seem to be fairly optimistic about their chances in Belgrade despite missing Bale.

This game for me is the game within a game, Wales mentally need to be absolutely their otherwise it's game over. The loss of Bale for me makes it very difficult to win as I can't see them scoring unless they go out to attack and therefore lose their defensive structure.
Hi Lads
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

This game for me is the game within a game, Wales mentally need to be absolutely their otherwise it's game over. The loss of Bale for me makes it very difficult to win as I can't see them scoring unless they go out to attack and therefore lose their defensive structure.

"This for me is the game within a game Wales mentally need to be absolutely"

Wtf are you on about?

Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:44pm

Wtf are you on about?

Swap their with there.
Hi Lads
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 7:54pm

Wtf are you on about?

Swap their with there.

What?!

Neither of those words are in my quotation. Are you on drugs?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 8:11pm
Last qualifier Wales played there they lost 7-1. No Bale. The match will be played in the summer heat. The English leagues ending weeks earlier than the continental leagues is another disadvantage.

Can only see one winner. 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 8:16pm
A draw or a Serbia win coupled by a win for us would be unreal. Make it a 2 horse race
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 8:20pm
But is it not better if we win and Serbia draw rather than both win?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 190>
  Share Topic