Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 190>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 2:49am
Quite funny to read the contrasting attitudes tonight on the Welsh and Scottish forums. The Welsh seem sensible after their setback but by god the tartan army message board is a good read tonight LOL
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

Quite funny to read the contrasting attitudes tonight on the Welsh and Scottish forums. The Welsh seem sensible after their setback but by god the tartan army message board is a good read tonight LOL
Read it myself,  really hard to blame them though, even if I find it amusing. Strachan with another great media performance, I used to like him at Celtic, if I was a Scotland fan I would have him hanging by his balls though.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:41am
performances have not been the best and the defence looks shaky, but before the draw anyone would have taken 7 points from our first 3 games.
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:56am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Read it myself,  really hard to blame them though, even if I find it amusing. Strachan with another great media performance, I used to like him at Celtic, if I was a Scotland fan I would have him hanging by his balls though.

Yeah it's been a real nightmare for them. Wasnt enjoyable seeing it last night because that all too familiar feeling in the pit of your stomach of a campaign rapidly turning to absolute sh*te comes to mind
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

performances have not been the best and the defence looks shaky, but before the draw anyone would have taken 7 points from our first 3 games.

Exactly. We've had some luck etc, but bottom line is that 7 out of 3 is a very good return.
Just need to ride our luck for 1 more and then we have a few months to regroup.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
KILCRUISE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KILCRUISE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 12:18pm
well, I will not knock the team really, 7 points out of 9  for two away trips and one home game is good going. jaysus what would we be like if had got lesser points.
just hope they get it right in Vienna. 

may the road rise to meet you but make sure it does not slap you in the face
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Yeah it's been a real nightmare for them. Wasnt enjoyable seeing it last night because that all too familiar feeling in the pit of your stomach of a campaign rapidly turning to absolute sh*te comes to mind

Hopefully to Scot's can get it together before their games against England.
Salzburglilly View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salzburglilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Hopefully to Scot's can get it together before their games against England.

Couldn't give a fook about either of them!

Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 1:31am
A great start to the group. Two banana skins avoided and an away point against one of the main 3 rivals.

As I said at the onset, this group could likely be similar to our failed 2006 qualification attempt. I can see lots of draws or traded wins between the top 4 seeds. I doubt if any side is going to run away with this group, unless it's us!
Generally in tight groups where one team doesn't dominate, 21 or 22 points is often enough to top the group, although France topped our qualifying group in 2006 with just 20 points.

Assuming we beat Georgia and Moldova again, given us a 12 point haul (although not a given either, as one rival has already slipped up)
A further five draws and beat one of our main rivals, would leave us on 20 points.
It will be tough to get five draws against the top 3 seeds though. 
Lose one game somewhere, then two wins will be required to get us to 21 points. 
Lose 2, then 3 wins will be required to get us to 22 points. 
Lose 3 and the most we can get is 19 points.

With Wales already dropping two points against Georgia, they will need two wins minimum against the other 3, just to get to 20 points.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 2:01am
As far as Wales are concerned, so much depends on Bale's fitness, and to a slightly lesser extent, Ramsey, and then Allen after that. 

Without those players (particularly the first two) they are a shadow of the team they can be.  

Both Bale and Ramsey have serious gruelling schedules with the champions league and likely to be in the mixer for national league and cup honours, so there must be a good chance of them both missing a few games a long the way.  

That could throw a spanner in the works for Wales.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 1:24pm
Can't afford to lose any game at home, and if we lose the away game we must beat them in Lansdowne.

So, if we lose in Vienna, we beat them in Lansdowne - 3 points
Wales - 2 x draws - 2 points
Serbia - 1 point in the bag plus another draw at home - 2 points
Moldova - 3 points in the bag plus another 3 at home - 6 points
Georgia - 3 in the bag plus say 1 away - 4 points

The above is the worst case scenario as I see it and we would finish on 17pts but I think we can draw in Vienna, beat one of either Serbia, Austria or Wales at home (drawing the other games), and scrape a win in Georgia - 5 x wins, 5 x draws - 20 points. The only team I can see bettering that at the moment is Serbia. There'll be a lot of draws and Georgia aren't done yet!
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 1:37pm

I can't believe how far backwards they've gone since the Euro qualifiers. If they had even stayed still they surely would have majorly challenged Slovenia and Slovakia for second spot.Instead they will almost already look out of it if they lose at wembley next month.

Looking at the Scotland forum the last couple of years, and their views on Ireland seem generally to fall into 4 main categories :
25% of them hate us (probably lots of Rangers fans there Smile )
25% of them dislike us as the "jammiest team ever" (I actually agree with those as over the last 9 years or so we have been very lucky under Trap & MON Thumbs Up)
25% like us and want us to do well (probably lots of Celtic fans in there Hug )
25% couldn't give a monkeys LOL
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

Can't afford to lose any game at home, and if we lose the away game we must beat them in Lansdowne.

So, if we lose in Vienna, we beat them in Lansdowne - 3 points
Wales - 2 x draws - 2 points
Serbia - 1 point in the bag plus another draw at home - 2 points
Moldova - 3 points in the bag plus another 3 at home - 6 points
Georgia - 3 in the bag plus say 1 away - 4 points

The above is the worst case scenario as I see it and we would finish on 17pts but I think we can draw in Vienna, beat one of either Serbia, Austria or Wales at home (drawing the other games), and scrape a win in Georgia - 5 x wins, 5 x draws - 20 points. The only team I can see bettering that at the moment is Serbia. There'll be a lot of draws and Georgia aren't done yet!

Looking at the above and those results are all reasonable it wont be enough. We will need to beat 2 out of the three at home. 
3 draws at home is the same as 1 win and 2 losses. We should be looking to beat all 3. We will prob lose one of them but if we win 2 thats better.

Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 2:01pm
If we win all our home games, beat Georgia away that should leave us with 22 points. At home we should be beating anyone we face and if we do so we will qualify and this doesn't take into account us getting something in Austria/Wales.
Hi Lads
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 3:41pm
The way I'd see it going is like so:

MD4
Austria 1-1 Rep of Ireland
Georgia 2-0 Moldova
Wales 2-1 Serbia

MD5
Georgia 1-2 Serbia
Austria 4-0 Moldova
Rep of Ireland 1-0 Wales

MD6
Moldova 1-2 Georgia
Rep of Ireland 2-1 Austria
Serbia 3-1 Wales

MD7
Georgia 1-1 Rep of Ireland
Serbia 6-0 Moldova
Wales 0-2 Austria

MD8
Austria 3-1 Georgia
Moldova 1- 4 Wales
Rep of Ireland 2-1 Serbia

MD9
Georgia 1-2 Wales
Austria 1-1 Serbia
Rep of Ireland 3-0 Moldova

MD10
Moldova 1-3 Austria
Serbia 2-1 Georgia
Wales 2-1 Rep of Ireland
It also means we'll be guaranteed top spot before the Wales game

GP W D L GF GA GD PTS
Rep of Ireland 10 6 3 1 17 9 8 21
Serbia 10 6 2 2 24 12 12 20
Austria 10 5 3 2 21 12 9 18
Wales 10 5 2 3 18 13 5 17
Georgia 10 2 2 6 11 15 -4 8
Moldova 10 0 0 10 4 34 -30 0

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 4:02pm
Can't see us winning all the home games against Wales, Serbia and Austria.  I'd say we might get 2 wins and a draw at best.

Realistically I'd say we might win one and draw the other two.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 4:05pm
I think we beat Georgia away, draw with Austria at home and Serbia draw away to Wales. Otherwise i'd agree with the predictions up there.

1 win and 2 draws in the big home games is likely but it could be enough. 2 wins and a draw would be fantastic

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 14 Oct 2016 at 4:06pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Can't see us winning all the home games against Wales, Serbia and Austria.  I'd say we might get 2 wins and a draw at best.

Realistically I'd say we might win one and draw the other two.

Me too, crazy prediction but each to their own.

We'll huff and puff and get 4 to 6 maximum 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 190>
  Share Topic