You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 190>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:28pm
I think people will underestimate the group.

It's 4 teams of similar quality battling it out for just 2 spots.
Sponsored Links

Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:30pm
There's 4 teams in that could top the group. I wouldn't be getting carried away that we'll walk it or anything like it.
If Bale stays fit he has the talent to turn game son his own.
Serbia have been hindered by outside factors, mostly their fans behaviour meaning they've lost home advantage by playing behind closed doors or points.
Austria are a strong side too.
The thing that would worry me is Austria/Wales are a similar standard to Poland right now. I'd expect Serbia to get up to that level too.
There's no doubt we are in the melting pot but people comparing this to the group Northern Ireland got are well of the mark. Wales Austria and Serbia are on the up. All the teams NI got were declining.

Edited by Bitored - 25 Nov 2015 at 6:32pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

There's 4 teams in that could top the group. I wouldn't be getting carried away that we'll walk it or anything like it.
If Bale stays fit he has the talent to turn game son his own.
Serbia have been hindered by outside factors, mostly their fans behaviour meaning they've lost home advantage by playing behind closed doors or points.
Austria are a strong side too.
The thing that would worry me is Austria/Wales are a similar standard to Poland right now. I'd expect Serbia to get up to that level too.
There's no doubt we are in the melting pot but people comparing this to the group Northern Ireland got are well of the mark. Wales Austria and Serbia are on the up. All the teams NI got were declining.

If Serbia are on the up then its from a very low starting point indeed.

In fact, there is very little evidence to suggest that they are even on the up.

Wales and Austria I feel are underestimated by many. But they are still exactly what they say on the tin: Wales and Austria.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:41pm
I feel Serbia and Austria are in and around the same standard as Bosnia. Particularly Serbia who i personally feel are weaker then Bosnia..
Austria and Serbia bought have a few key players the wrong side of 30 i.e. I could see this being Marc Jankos last campaign with Austria. 

Wales, are the best top seeds we'd of hoped for. 4 points of Wales for us is a real target, 4 points of all those teams should be our minimum. With MON we've build a fortress at Landsdowne Road, I'd fear a trip to Belgrade a lot more then a trip to Vienna. I feel with the likes of Arter likely to come in long with McCarthy we can only improve. Walters will stick around i'd imagine, Keane and O'Shea will possibly move aside.. I'd be confident in a Clark Keogh partnership. 

Hopefully Derby make a push for the PL so Christie and Hendrick,keogh get to play at that level which only benefit them!

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm
This is how I expect the games to go
Serbia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND -  D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Georgia - W
Moldova v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND W
Austria v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND  - L
 REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Wales - W
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Austria - D
Georgia v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND - W
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Serbia - D
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND v Moldova - W
Wales v REPUBLIC OF IRELAND  -D

That would have us finish on 19 points which should be enough to get 2nd place at least

As you mention we will have a few retirements after Euros expect our team to look something similar to below

------- ---------Randolph------------
--Coleman--Clark------Keogh-- Kavanagh*
------------------Whelan---------------
Walters----Hendrick--McCarthy---Brady--
--------------------Long----------------

*would like to see Kavanagh given a go perhaps in the friendlies in March or as part of the extended squad  at least

i've stuck with Whelan in holding mid role  with both Hendrick and McCarthy ahead of him with both given more licence to get forward.

Would also like to see likes of Jack Byrne given a role in team. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 7:50pm
Serbia will be a different animal next year lads in their own place, new campaign as well.

I hope they don't catch us cold. It'll be a tough game and none of the other teams will have it easy there imo.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

If Serbia are on the up then its from a very low starting point indeed.

In fact, there is very little evidence to suggest that they are even on the up.

Wales and Austria I feel are underestimated by many. But they are still exactly what they say on the tin: Wales and Austria.

They are reigning u20 world champions and have a serious conveyor belt of talent coming through comparable to the players that elevated Belgium from a comparable low Base and built their current success on. As I said the behaviour of their fans has done untold damage to their fortunes.

I fully expect Serbia to step up. There is no way Belgrade will be a handy trip and I'd say when it comes around we'll be more than happy to take a draw.

Edited by Bitored - 25 Nov 2015 at 7:58pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:03pm
Will be very like the group for 2006 world cup
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:35pm
One point i would like to make about playing Austria , i think it's 53 years since we last beat them , now i could be wrong but sure i read that somewhere . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

One point i would like to make about playing Austria , i think it's 53 years since we last beat them , now i could be wrong but sure i read that somewhere . 

The auld boy's first Ireland game he went to in the early 60s was at home to Austria in Dalymount. I think they lost 3-2 (without googling it). They lost it anyway I think.

I'm open to correction on this

Edited by irishmufc - 25 Nov 2015 at 8:40pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 8:42pm
Think Austrians will top group and perhaps go unbeaten
Ruel Fox View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruel Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:11pm
Austria are streets ahead of us to win 9 and draw 1 in a group with Russia and Sweden is some achievement. Especially going to Russia and Sweden and winning.We will never  do as good in any group ever. We will be in the mix for 2nd id say!
Jerryfromkerry View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerryfromkerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:25pm
Can see us lining out like

...... Randolph
Coleman Clark Keogh Brady
.........McCarthy
Hendrick Arter McGeady
.....Walters
.........Long

Good chance of a playoff.
No man has the right to fix the boundary to the march of a nation. No man has the right to say to his country “thus far shalt thou go and no further"
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:29pm
Austria are something of a bogey team for us all right, a bit like Wales, they have one world class player who can (& did in the last group) make the difference in winning & losing a match. Dont think there is anyone to fear in there either though, it could well be a similar effort to this one, in that there are multiple dropped points in games with & between Serbia, Austria, Wales & ourselves. Saying all that, would be disappointed not to get to final game V Wales with at least 2nd place to play for. 

The Euros will have a bearing on the start, we saw a very sluggish performance in Kazachstan after the last one, lucky to get away with the win when we shouldn't have, and bar Sweden away, we more or less played like that for the entire campaign. I think to be fair, the players had lost belief in the manager & his system during the Euros & never really recovered from that, instead of late goals being scored in this campaign under MON, we were conceding them in that campaign under Trap, no worse example than Austria at home. We then played like the beaten dockets we were V Sweden home (once they got the equaliser, all belief drained from the team), Austria away & Germany away. 

Not sure about the mass retirements, other than the obvious.  Keane, Given , O'Shea will call it a day, the likes of Forde might as well, Whelan retiring is probably wishful thinking by his army of detractors, but he is one of the most committed players we have, be surprised if he did meself. Hoolahan may have the age profile to retire, but given his late international career, may wish to get a bit more out of it, Walters much the same to a degree, Murphy would probably call quits on it alright, he was close to doing so last year. 

Bar the lads over 32/33 (as opposed to everyone over 30) I think most of the current squad will still be about in September 16, I don't think there will be mass changes for the sake of it, and with our small playing pool, MON certainly won't want too many to retire after the Euros either. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 10:22pm
Austria 
 I'd Expect us to take 2 points out of 6 If we're lucky,they dismantled us in the last campaign and made a decent well organised Swedish side look average in this current campaign. 

Wales 
4 points out of 6 at the least it's hard to know how this group of players will look after the Euros if Wales don't perform well at the summer like their expecting we could see a very different side to what's being shown now. Bale and Ramsay seem passionate and willing to play for and perform for Wales, something Giggs and to a lesser extent Bellamy, we don't play them till March 2017 so a lot will depend on how the trips to Belgrade and Vienna go.

Serbia. 
4 points out of 6 Belgrade will be a tough place to go, as mentioned we haven't had a big away win still under MON can't see it happening next September,but here's an unfortunate positive situation in their past two groups the Serbians have been docked points could easily happen again given their history and their fans. 

Georgia
I'll go for 6 out of 6 but not certain, the unfortunate time about playing these is the fixture dates away in September 2017 around the same time they put the Scots out of the group, mark my words these will takes points of either ourselfs, Austria or Serbia,Wales a very tough place to go. 

Moldova 
6 out of 6 straight forward.

Edited by irelandfan - 25 Nov 2015 at 10:28pm
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

They're definitely something of a bogey team for us over the years. Having said that, we've only met them four times since 1971. We've always seem to have run into them when we were going through a really bad spell of form : 1995 and 2013, and they failed to qualify themselves both times they met us.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Not sure about the mass retirements, other than the obvious.  Keane, Given , O'Shea will call it a day, the likes of Forde might as well, Whelan retiring is probably wishful thinking by his army of detractors, but he is one of the most committed players we have, be surprised if he did meself. Hoolahan may have the age profile to retire, but given his late international career, may wish to get a bit more out of it, Walters much the same to a degree, Murphy would probably call quits on it alright, he was close to doing so last year. 

You're getting a bit too hung up on the word retirement I also said "maintain their current level". That's the big question. It doesn't matter what you're game is be it pace or strength players in their mid 30s need game time managed.
Take Walters as an example. It was probably a blessing that he was suspended for the first leg of the play off. He was fresh as a daisy and ready to make a big impact. I've no doubt only playing one game had a big impact on his performance.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by irelandfan irelandfan wrote:

Austria 
 I'd Expect us to take 2 points out of 6 If we're lucky,they dismantled us in the last campaign and made a decent well organised Swedish side look average in this current campaign. 

Wales 
4 points out of 6 at the least it's hard to know how this group of players will look after the Euros if Wales don't perform well at the summer like their expecting we could see a very different side to what's being shown now. Bale and Ramsay seem passionate and willing to play for and perform for Wales, something Giggs and to a lesser extent Bellamy, we don't play them till March 2017 so a lot will depend on how the trips to Belgrade and Vienna go.

Serbia. 
4 points out of 6 Belgrade will be a tough place to go, as mentioned we haven't had a big away win still under MON can't see it happening next September,but here's an unfortunate positive situation in their past two groups the Serbians have been docked points could easily happen again given their history and their fans. 

Georgia
I'll go for 6 out of 6 but not certain, the unfortunate time about playing these is the fixture dates away in September 2017 around the same time they put the Scots out of the group, mark my words these will takes points of either ourselfs, Austria or Serbia,Wales a very tough place to go. 

Moldova 
6 out of 6 straight forward.

Did they though? Drew 2-2 in Dublin with a 93rd minute equaliser and had to wait until the 84th minute to beat us 1-0 in the return leg in Vienna and that was in a campaign where we weren't even playing well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 190>
  Share Topic