Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 1:06pm
Why would anyone want games hosted here?

I was asking a few mates in Vancouver how they felt about it not being used for the 2026 World Cup and they were delighted. According to them you have to allow FIFA to operate in your city tax free for 10years, local labour laws don't apply, work permits for anyone FIFA requests to be granted, city bears all the policing costs for any games held etc.

Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

this is a complete joke and will never happen in little Paddyland.
You're right,Ireland will never host a major Championship on its own. There's absolutely no reason, however, why we couldn't host in joint partnership with other nations. That is all anyone has been saying.
Two of the criteria for a Category 5 stadium refer to the local airport and the number of 5 star Hotels.

Dublin is lacking in both these categories.

Yes we could be a co-host (third in a Tri-Host) and they could throw us a few mickey mouse games like Morocco v Iran and Saudi v South Korea.

To imagine that anywhere outside Dublin would get a game you'd want to be smoking large quantities of crack-cocaine Ted.
Dublin lacking an airport, I've heard it all now LOL
Indeed you have.
Oh and you're welcome.

Dublin airport is the 14th busiest airport in Europe

I can think of at least  four 5 star hotels in the city centre alone

Westbury
Westin
Shelbourne
Fitzwilliam

How many do you need?

Edited by lassassinblanc - 21 Jun 2018 at 1:45pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 1:55pm
This must be the most ridiculous thread ever on here. This I completely mental stuff!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

This must be the most ridiculous thread ever on here. This I completely mental stuff!

Not totally! The 46A bus sometimes comes three at a time. We should have that in this bid. Guaranteed selling point.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 2:07pm
Mexico v Holland could be held at Pairc Esler in Newry.
The local Armagh natives could support their fellow orange dutch, while there might be a hard border by then so the Mexicans will be at home hopping over that

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Not totally! The 46A bus sometimes comes three at a time. We should have that in this bid. Guaranteed selling point.
LOL
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Just wondering what is the capacity for visitors to Dublin?
I assume between Hotels and BnBs etc Dublin could hold 50-60k...

Between the two stadiums in Dublin and all the accommodation in the sourounding areas they could easily host one group in a WC. That’s only 3 matches over 2 weeks.

They could host half a group as is happening in the Euros. A whole group is 6 games, the last two of which have to happen simultaneously. 

We are talking about a 48 team World Cup....
Only 3 teams in a group.  They only play 2 games each.

Last game will always be the score required to knock the other non-playing  team out (if this is possible*)

You're dead right sorry. We could do that I'd agree. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 2:29pm
We could feasibly enough host 6 games in a 48 team tournament, 3 in Croker and 3 in LR. There's plenty of accommodation in Dublin and, what's more, fans would not be here for all of it. Plenty will be in & out; plenty more will travel around the country in the period between games (look at the time we spent in Torun, for example). You can easily host 6 games, if the games are appropriately staggered. There are something in the region of 10 ferries a day from the UK to Dublin, leaving aside Rosslare and Belfast, plus a huge number of flights from all over the UK every day. There is no shortage of ways between the UK and Ireland, even for 70,000 fans travelling in a 3 day period.

16 groups of 3, 3 games in each, 3 games a day - that means you can quite feasibly use 2 stadiums in 1 city to host 6 games, and still keep 3 days between games (say with games on days 1, 4, 7, 10, 13 and 16). It is 6 games over 16 days. That means the fans have the opportunity to get in & out without needing four sets of fans to be in the city at any time, even assuming all fans stay the night before and after the game, and even assuming Ireland aren't one of the teams.

It would be feasible to that extent for Dublin alone to host 6 games out of 48 group games, and 3 knockout games too. Assuming Wales did the same (whether all in the Millennium, or whether Swansea joined in) and Scotland hosted 12 group stage games (or more, with extra in Glasgow compared to Edinburgh), then England only needs to host half the group stage games.

As a concept, it is feasible. Dublin definitely has the facilities to be part of such a bid and to host a significant number of games. Hell, Croke Park has the capacity to host a quarter final, at 73,500 all seater with seats on the Hill. Whether FIFA would go for 4 host nations or not is entirely another matter... that's liable to be the biggest problem.

Logistically, as part of a 4 nation bid, it could be made to work. Politically, there are 2 major problems: the first is the number of automatic qualifiers, at 4, and the fact that would alienate other UEFA members; the second is the difficulty of having a bid here without including them'uns. The first problem could be alleviated by saying only England qualify automatically and the others have to go through normal qualifying, although it may be hard to persuade the FAI, FAW and SFA of that. Politically, it is more likely to have a 4 nation UK only bid, with Windsor tarted up to a 35,000 all seater for the occasion, leaving them with a stadium twice the size they need.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 21 Jun 2018 at 2:37pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

LOL

Surely the fact that the 70 runs every 2 hours at the weekend could help swing the vote too.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 2:47pm
Let's not forget we have the Darndale Hilton to offer as accommodation 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

You're right,Ireland will never host a major Championship on its own. There's absolutely no reason, however, why we couldn't host in joint partnership with other nations. That is all anyone has been saying.
Two of the criteria for a Category 5 stadium refer to the local airport and the number of 5 star Hotels.

Yes we could be a co-host (third in a Tri-Host) and they could throw us a few mickey mouse games like Morocco v Iran and Saudi v South Korea.

To imagine that anywhere outside Dublin would get a game you'd want to be smoking large quantities of crack-cocaine Ted.
Indeed you have.
Oh and you're welcome.

Westbury
Westin
Shelbourne
Fitzwilliam

How many do you need?
What's the Metro like to the airport ?

Hotels - more than 4
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:13pm

Indeed you have.
Oh and you're welcome.

Westbury
Westin
Shelbourne
Fitzwilliam

How many do you need?

Hotels - more than 4

Well there are more than four anyway I just named 4 in the middle of the city.

Also Ireland is a relatively small country you could drive from one side of the country in 3-4 hours I'd imagine there are at least "more than 4"  5 star hotels within 2 hour drive from Dublin.

The metro is in the works with a 2027 finish date mooted

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:15pm
Shelbourne
Westin
Fitzwilliam
Intercontinental
Dylan
Westbury
Marker
Conrad
Merrion
Clarence

Close to Dublin you have the likes of

K Club
Druids Glen
Powerscourt
The Herritage Killenard
Portmarnock
Carton House
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

Non-white Football Fans would be able to enter the precious jurisdiction with their FAN IDs, this will cause outrage among many Football Fans in Ireland. OMG! or more commonly FFS.

What in the name of god are you on about? You really do come out with some bizarre stuff Confused 

Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Logistically, as part of a 4 nation bid, it could be made to work. Politically, there are 2 major problems: the first is the number of automatic qualifiers, at 4, and the fact that would alienate other UEFA members; the second is the difficulty of having a bid here without including them'uns. The first problem could be alleviated by saying only England qualify automatically and the others have to go through normal qualifying, although it may be hard to persuade the FAI, FAW and SFA of that. Politically, it is more likely to have a 4 nation UK only bid, with Windsor tarted up to a 35,000 all seater for the occasion, leaving them with a stadium twice the size they need

You're mixing extravagant daydream on the one hand with acceptance of FIFA's usually unnecessary and often ludicrous criteria for choosing venues on the other.

If we ever get to the stage where 

a) FIFA award it to England (if only because no-one else can afford to bid), plus

b) England are prepared to share with rump UK while other UEFA members can be persuaded/ bought off into accepting only 12 other qualifying teams

then Windsor Park isn't a problem. You just compensate residents moved from Olympia Drive, rebuild a bigger North Stand, and relax the minimum capacity down to 25,000 or whatever. Don't forget that BelAir has two separate airport terminals* (albeit 25-30km apart) with railway lines 500m from both. They could even widen Templepatrick High Street to give the FIFA  limos an easier ride...

* supposedly for eased segregation, more likely to suit the dignitaries and goons   
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:41pm

Indeed you have.
Oh and you're welcome.

Westbury
Westin
Shelbourne
Fitzwilliam

How many do you need?

Hotels - more than 4

You're really pushing the boat out on ridiculousness if you don't even think that Dublin could host a few WC games. We have an enormous airport and any amount of hotels. In terms of city rankings, Dublin is rated alongside the likes of Vienna, Zurich, Stockholm, Melbourne, New Delhi, Washington, Buenos Aires, etc. I suppose none of them would be fit to hold a few tournament games either? LOL But yeah, Yekateringburg must trump all of them...

Edited by The O'Shea - 21 Jun 2018 at 3:43pm
We're decent enough..
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:44pm

You're really pushing the boat out on ridiculousness if you don't even think that Dublin could host a few WC games. We have an enormous airport and any amount of hotels. In terms of city rankings, Dublin is rated alongside the likes of Vienna, Zurich, Stockholm, Melbourne, New Delhi, Washington, Buenos Aires, etc. I suppose none of them would be fit to hold a few tournament games either? LOL
FIFA is not Trip Advisor !!!

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Shelbourne
Westin
Fitzwilliam
Intercontinental
Dylan
Westbury
Marker
Conrad
Merrion
Clarence

Close to Dublin you have the likes of

K Club
Druids Glen
Powerscourt
The Herritage Killenard
Portmarnock
Carton House

Those hotels outside of Dublin would be ideal for teams to stay in. And the Gardaí can whip coaches in and out of town extremely quickly with motorcycle outriders and a blue light escort.

A lot of the other activity of the city would have to be put on hold though. So the airport would be capable, as would the hotels, but not if the current utilisation were to continue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic