Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 12:42am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Does O'Shea reckon we'll be seeing Colombia v Japan in Clones?
The Japanese going up the Clones hill with their sake and sushi, instead of tea and sandwiches, and the Colombians off their tits on coke in Creightons hotel beer garden.

I reckon there are good stadiums in most of our major cities/towns, with some of those cities having more than one potential stadium (or at least the potential to build one, which people seem to have conveniently forgot...)

I think people are being a bit ridiculous here, talking about needing 16  ready-made 50,000+ stadia when only two stadia being used in Russia hold over 50,000! As for hosting a World Cup match in a smallish town, like say, Kilkenny, I again see no issue. Do you think that every venue used in major Championships is located in a bustling metropolis? Is it f**k... People have a habit of naysaying when it comes to evaluating their own back yard, completely ignoring what the situation was in other countries that have held major championships.
The world's press can all share rooms in Nora's bed and breakfast.

Ah yes, because building an extra hotel or two is also banned... Jaysis, imagine if Brazil or Qatar (who essentially started from scratch in terms of the facilities they'd need to host a World Cup) had our attitude towards it. Sure why bother at all unless you have literally every last thing in place prior to even considering making a bid LOL
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 12:51am
I would say a lot of people in Brazil wish they had the same attitude to it! Qatar is a ridiculous example too, I think we all know that.
The smallest city to host a game in this world cup has a population just shy of 300,000. When was the last time, if ever, a place the size of Kilkenny, or any other small Irish town or city, held a World Cup game? What do they do with the massive hotels after the World Cup? Do you expect people from all over the world to start flocking to Langan's for a late drink?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:24am

The Japanese going up the Clones hill with their sake and sushi, instead of tea and sandwiches, and the Colombians off their tits on coke in Creightons hotel beer garden.

I reckon there are good stadiums in most of our major cities/towns, with some of those cities having more than one potential stadium (or at least the potential to build one, which people seem to have conveniently forgot...)

I think people are being a bit ridiculous here, talking about needing 16  ready-made 50,000+ stadia when only two stadia being used in Russia hold over 50,000! As for hosting a World Cup match in a smallish town, like say, Kilkenny, I again see no issue. Do you think that every venue used in major Championships is located in a bustling metropolis? Is it f**k... People have a habit of naysaying when it comes to evaluating their own back yard, completely ignoring what the situation was in other countries that have held major championships.

Ah yes, because building an extra hotel or two is also banned... Jaysis, imagine if Brazil or Qatar (who essentially started from scratch in terms of the facilities they'd need to host a World Cup) had our attitude towards it. Sure why bother at all unless you have literally every last thing in place prior to even considering making a bid LOL

And who is going to pay for this new stadium in Kilkenny ??

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:45am
The only way we get World Cup games in Ireland is if England/GB win it and throw Dublin some games/one group.

With 48 teams needing hotels and training facilities etc you would think FIFA may consider  relaxing the rules a bit so you could have one host country but allow some of the neighbouring countries host a few groups but not be official co-hosts.
That avoids the issue for giving places to all the hosts.

England could host it and Scotland / Wales / Ireland could all host a few groups each.

You could have 2 groups between Dublin and Belfast.

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:59am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The only way we get World Cup games in Ireland is if England/GB win it and throw Dublin some games/one group.

With 48 teams needing hotels and training facilities etc you would think FIFA may consider  relaxing the rules a bit so you could have one host country but allow some of the neighbouring countries host a few groups but not be official co-hosts.

England could host it and Scotland / Wales / Ireland could all host a few groups each.

If England determine they can't host it on their own (No doubting they could) then Scotland and Wales are the logical additional co-hosts. Little or no chance of them turning to us given we really only have 1 stadium to offer. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:07am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

If England determine they can't host it on their own (No doubting they could) then Scotland and Wales are the logical additional co-hosts. Little or no chance of them turning to us given we really only have 1 stadium to offer. 

Sure it’s all hypothetical but if Windsor could be increased to over 35k then you have three stadiums that could be used : 2 in Dublin and 1 in Belfast.  

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:15am

Sure it’s all hypothetical but if Windsor could be increased to over 35k then you have three stadiums that could be used : 2 in Dublin and 1 in Belfast.  

Croke Park would need serious alteration - As would Windsor Park. And it's very possible that Windsor might not be possible. So given that or existing stadia in England, Scotland and Wales, it's a bit of a no-brainer. 
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:13am
Dont think there's a chance of this happening as england would surely use scotland/wales over us but if by chance it did become reality could temporary seating not be used in croke park for the hill 16 end sure isnt 1 of the stadiums in russia using it at the minute

*not that theres a chance we will ever co host a world btw
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Dont think there's a chance of this happening as england would surely use scotland/wales over us but if by chance it did become reality could temporary seating not be used in croke park for the hill 16 end sure isnt 1 of the stadiums in russia using it at the minute

*not that theres a chance we will ever co host a world btw

*It will never happen but yes Russia is using temporary stands which I’m sure Croke Park could do.

Windsor would need development but they are probably looking to upgrade anyway and if they could guarantee revenues with WC games it’s could make sense.

I do like the idea of one host and some of the neighbouring countries hosting some group games. Not to the extent of Euro2020 but it allows other countries invest in their stadiums.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:15am

Eh, there's already a 28,000 capacity stadium in Kilkenny.... It was included in our 2023 Rugby World Cup bid. Presumably, as with any other country, the government would invest in increasing the capacity of the stadium, safe in the knowledge that they'd recoup said investment multiple times over....
We're decent enough..
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:17am
Plans to enlarge Windsor Park? Can't see it happening. The North Stand is looking its age but is hemmed in by terrace housing on Olympia Drive.

Hampton [Court, west London] as mentioned above would be a good venue. I refereed a Sunday Cup Final there a few years ago 
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:19am

Eh, there's already a 28,000 capacity stadium in Kilkenny.... It was included in our 2023 Rugby World Cup bid. Presumably, as with any other country, the government would invest in increasing the capacity of the stadium, safe in the knowledge that they'd recoup said investment multiple times over....

Nowlan Park would be a complete tear down and re-build job. Rugby WC is a much lower standard to meet and we still didn't get there. People really over-rate the standard of our GAA stadiums.

Image result for nowlan park
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:21am

Croke Park would need serious alteration - As would Windsor Park. And it's very possible that Windsor might not be possible. So given that or existing stadia in England, Scotland and Wales, it's a bit of a no-brainer. 

Croke Park would need serious alterations... Is that a joke? Croke Park would need the addition of plastic seats on Hill 16 in order to be ready to go, as was done for all of our matches there in the late 2000's.... Again, all of this is relatively simple stuff nowadays. Sure the Irish cricket team literally build an entirely new stadium in Malahide every time they have a test match; so the addition of auxiliary seats/stands to already existing stadia is hardly an unachievable or outlandish endeavour...

Edited by The O'Shea - 21 Jun 2018 at 10:22am
We're decent enough..
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:22am
That's probably not even up to standards to be a training ground in the world cup being honest

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:23am
this is a complete joke and will never happen in little Paddyland.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:25am
People being far too negative here. Sure isn't there a load of extra chairs in the parish hall that could be brought up to Nowlan in a few hours? And if everybody took one fan in each we would only need one hotel. Better yet, just leave them camp on the pitch after the game.

Edited by pre Madonna - 21 Jun 2018 at 10:25am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

this is a complete joke and will never happen in little Paddyland.

You're right,Ireland will never host a major Championship on its own. There's absolutely no reason, however, why we couldn't host in joint partnership with other nations. That is all anyone has been saying.
We're decent enough..
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 10:39am

Sure the Irish cricket team literally build an entirely new stadium in Malahide every time they have a test match; so the addition of auxiliary seats/stands to already existing stadia is hardly an unachievable or outlandish endeavour...

Aren't the cricketers moving out West (M50/ Blanchardstown, not Ballina) which suggests a stadium with permanent structures?

The U-19 Women's Euros were held in NI last year and at least some of the crowds were encouraging if ever a senior women or u-21 men goes ahead (4,300 at first NI game, 3,100 at the final)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic