You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup in Ireland
    Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:32pm
our friend Mr Blatter has said that England along with Scotland wales and Ireland deserve the 2030 World Cup. Be fantastic for the country (well Dublin) and the future of Irish soccer here.
Sponsored Links

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:36pm
Mustnt have taken his medication today
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:51pm
I saw the interview but can't believe it would happen. They would have to give 5 automatic qualifying places including one to a 'country' without even one suitable stadium. If it ever happened I'm sure only England, Scotland and wales would be feasible, like the 3 hosts of 2026. Would England be that keen on the idea? It might bring the old chestnut of why the UK has 4 separate associations back into focus.I'm sure they'd must rather host it themselves given the choice.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:55pm
He was either taking the piss or on the piss. I can see world cup games in Killarney and Llanelli alright.
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:03pm
16 stadiums needed for a 48 team World Cup so England would find it hard to host alone, 35,000 minimum sized stadium
Wembley
Olympic
Spurs
Arsenal
Liverpool
Man Utd
Man City
Newcastle
Sunderland
Leeds
Villa
Everton
Sheffield Wednesday.
Might need Celtic park, Hampton, Cardiff and Aviva to supplement them.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:04pm
LOL Hampton. That really tickled me!
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:08pm
Millenium Stadium, Croke Park, Lansdowne Road, Hampden, Ibrox, Murrayfield and Celtic Park all exceed 50,000. I've no doubt the the WRU and the SRU would take the money if it was offered to them to host World Cup games. Edinburgh would definitely want games and Murrayfield's the only stadium there worth using.

That's 7 stadiums. There are only 8 in England exceeding 50,000, and one of those is Twickenham, which I can't see the RFU allowing to be used... plus, FIFA wouldn't want that many stadiums in London, what with Wembley, the Emirates, the new Spurs stadium and London Stadium all on the likely list, and needing an exception from the usual rules to begin with.

Having said all that, I can't see a tournament proposal that has four automatic qualifiers would go down well with the rest of Europe. They'd have to cut out either Dublin or Cardiff, and I fear it would be Ireland to lose out, with England, Scotland and Wales having the bid.

Then again, having said all that, 2030 is going to Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 20 Jun 2018 at 3:17pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:17pm
There are plenty of stadiums in Ireland that would be fit to hold World Cup games if they were to undergo relatively minor renovations (as we see in basically every country that hosts a major tournament, very few countries have 16 stadia just ready to go off the bat...). Ireland - north and south - Scotland, and Wales would be a more than viable possibility for hosting a major tournament. I don't see the point in adding England into the mix, they don't really need the rest of us in order to put forward a good case.
We're decent enough..
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

There are plenty of stadiums in Ireland that would be fit to hold World Cup games if they were to undergo relatively minor renovations (as we see in basically every country that hosts a major tournament, very few countries have 16 stadia just ready to go off the bat...). Ireland - north and south - Scotland, and Wales would be a more than viable possibility for hosting a major tournament. I don't see the point in adding England into the mix, they don't really need the rest of us in order to put forward a good case.

Where?  Surely you dont mean these dumps of GAA stadiums like Thurles etc?  They would have to lay state of the art pitches which cost more than the GDP of Thurles alone, knock the whole thing down and build it with corporate boxes and everything.  You need stadiums the standard of Lansdowne with all the mod cons, state of the art dressing rooms and tv facilities.  The GAA stadiums are the standard you would see in the 3rd world.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The Aviva is ready, everywhere else is a while off. Even if they put a whole new end in Croker that's be two stadia in Dublin which isn't ideal considering they'll be doubling up elsewhere. Thomond Park would have to double in size and lose 4 terraces, Windsor Park would need 30,000 extra seats. The Pairc was cited in the rugby world cup bid as not being up to standard, and that's a much lower benchmark. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:29pm
Imagine 20,000 Colombians descending on Thurles!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:29pm
Does O'Shea reckon we'll be seeing Colombia v Japan in Clones?
The Japanese going up the Clones hill with their sake and sushi, instead of tea and sandwiches, and the Colombians off their tits on coke in Creightons hotel beer garden.

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:35pm
A group started on the back of the most corrupt man in World Football spouting sh*t. Ireland will NEVER see a world cup match. Not in my lifetime anyways.

Anyone else struggling to care about Russia? Sitting at work cursing everyone thinking we should be there. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

A group started on the back of the most corrupt man in World Football spouting sh*t. Ireland will NEVER see a world cup match. Not in my lifetime anyways.

Anyone else struggling to care about Russia? Sitting at work cursing everyone thinking we should be there. 

No, I'm enjoying it so far.

And we shouldn't be there, weren't good enough.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The Japanese going up the Clones hill with their sake and sushi, instead of tea and sandwiches, and the Colombians off their tits on coke in Creightons hotel beer garden.

The DJ from Papa Joes out in crowd as MANIAC 2000 belts out of the speakers hanging out the upstairs windowsLOL
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:51pm
Lads JD will be FIFA President by the time the bidding for this is on so anything is possible 
houghton88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote houghton88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Games are excellent for the neutral supporter. Non football entertainment is all we are missing out on with Ireland not being there. We shouldnt be there. We are sh*t, we were sh*t in qualifiers and would be sh*t in this World Cup. 

Even Tunisia and Saudi Arabia can play better football than us. It would have been Euro 2012 levels of embarrassment times 10 for us.  
To alcohol!!!! The cause of and solution to all lifes problems.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Colombians don't actually consume much cocaine. Usage of whatever the fook is actually passed off as coke is much higher in Ireland. 

El Puto Amo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic