You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - World Cup Group G Portugal, Germany, Ghana, USA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Group G Portugal, Germany, Ghana, USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 33343536>
Poll Question: Who will qualify?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [17.14%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
24 [68.57%]
2 [5.71%]
3 [8.57%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:29pm

Only after seeing the cross for Ghana's goal. An unbelievable piece of skill from the outside of his left foot.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Boban View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

The cross for the Ghana goal was sublime.

Just seen it.What a ball.
Kwadwo Clap

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:35pm
Aye, but the keeper.... Jaysus, he made a few good saves, but what the hell was he up to with the Ronaldo goal?
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Klingsman on BBC with the most American accent I've heard.

Married to a yank isn't he? His son is the youth keeper for the states, he's been living over there for years.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:41pm
Coach Klinsdude   
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 7:43pm
Three of the top four most read stories on fox sports are soccer related.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 8:09pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:27pm
The highest scoring Portuguese player in Portugal last season? Bebe, with 12. Yes, that Bebe. Eder? Three.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The highest scoring Portuguese player in Portugal last season? Bebe, with 12. Yes, that Bebe. Eder? Three.

Bebe
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Bebe

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
StephenHendrick View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StephenHendrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Married to a yank isn't he? His son is the youth keeper for the states, he's been living over there for years.

Your accent does not change that easily unless you are making a conscious effort to alter it.

Most female Dublin teenagers mimic an American accent despite half of them never being in the country.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by StephenHendrick StephenHendrick wrote:

Your accent does not change that easily unless you are making a conscious effort to alter it.

Most female Dublin teenagers mimic an American accent despite half of them never being in the country.

So half of the female teenagers in Dublin have been to America.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 10:03pm

Because everybody picks up accents the same way and its an exact science :).

They reckon the more musical you are the quicker you pick up accents. Not sure if there is any truth in that.
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 10:09pm

He's not changing his accent unless he speaks German with am American accent these days. How would you like him to speak his English, a bit more like Basil Fawlty in that episode of Fawlty Towers maybe?
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 10:55pm
Luis Ronaldo speaks English with a Dutch accent.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Luis Ronaldo speaks English with a Dutch accent.

So does Steve McClaren.
danger here View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danger here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2014 at 11:41pm

Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Can't beat Lync BigPodge Wink

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 3:16am

I have many friends from the continent who speak English with an American accent. One is Romanian and picked it up after school whilst watching the cartoon network, another is Turkish and picked it up whilst attending American College in Ankara.

Their accents are as a result of mimicking those who they interacted with whilst learning English...be it the cartoon network or a tutor at an American College.

Whilst the Mrs attended the University of St Andrews a few years ago there was a Polish society in the university who had members which actively took special accent tutorials in order to gain an English gentrified accent such was the discrimination they felt they would receive in London when applying for Graduate positions. Sad but true.

Anyway Klinsmann has been living in California since the 90's. I would have expected a non native speaker to have picked up the accent by now.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 33343536>
  Share Topic