You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - World Cup Group C Colombia,Greece,JPN,Ivory Coast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Group C Colombia,Greece,JPN,Ivory Coast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
Poll Question: Who will qualify?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [26.09%]
3 [13.04%]
14 [60.87%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 9:03am
I was very impressed with the Colombians last night. Uruguay weren't great yesterday so you'd fancy Colombia in knockout game. Good tournament for the American continent so far and not so good for Europe.
Sponsored Links

greengooner View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 9:51am
Colombia played some lovely football last night and finished off a plucky but techincally limited Japan near the end. Not sure if 4-1 flattered Colombia but fair play to them.

Hamann and Cunningham were truly embarrassing last night in their comments about Mondragon.

The only disrespectful thing last night was Japan being so poor that they were hammered 4-1. If mondragon was that bad/undeserving of a place in the squad, how come he made a brilliant save late on from a one-on-one?

Both Hamann and Cunningham made idiotic comments about the substitution.  Pair of gob**ites.

He's in the squad, hes one of the players, he gets game time - their time to be outraged was when Colombia picked the squad! FFS!!

What might have been disrespectful would have been Colombia brinnging off a player and playing with 10 men for the last 10 minutes...!!

In fairness Sadlier, whose comments i mostly disagree with, was spot on in his defence of Colombia briniging on Mondragon. Even the anchor (was it Alkin??) was laughing at the stupidity of the Cunningham/Hamann comments!
Platini are you listening
You'd better keep your trophy glistening
Cos we'll be over next year
To drink all your beer,
Walking in an Irish Wonderland.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 9:55am
darragh Maloney was the anchor. Stephen Alkin commentates on the world cup but does not do the anchor role.

I disagreed with hamman and Cunningham but to call it embarrassing is a bit OTT.

It would be a scary world if you agreed with someone or disagreed with someone on everything.

They made their point and it was valid just like its valid to disagree with it. As long as they are coming from an honest and well informed position I don't see the big deal to their opinion,
AKA pedantic kunt
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 10:07am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

James rodriguez

Is his first name pronounced james or yamez?
yamez

J is silent in Spanish

Is James in Spanish not Iago?
Was wondering why his name is James, probably an americanised influence like Jackson Martinez.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Best moment of the World Cup.

Shocking behaviour to belittle opponents like that..

Wink

Delighted he made a good save too, great reaction from the fans.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 10:19am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

James rodriguez

yamez

J is silent in Spanish

As in 'Santiago' (St. James) ?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 10:30am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

James rodriguez

yamez

J is silent in Spanish

As in 'Santiago' (St. James) ?

That's what I was thinking all right.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 10:50am
Thought the Greeks were brilliant last night and by no means boring. If they scored 4 or 5 the Ivory Coast couldn't complain. Ivory coast were appalling last night and they would have been blessed to have scraped through.

Japan very disappointing in this group. Really thought they'd be much better going forward.

Columbia the obvious standout team, have a feeling they'll knock Brazil out in the quarters after beating Uruguay and then make it all the way to the final.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Thought the Greeks were brilliant last night and by no means boring. If they scored 4 or 5 the Ivory Coast couldn't complain. Ivory coast were appalling last night and they would have been blessed to have scraped through.

Japan very disappointing in this group. Really thought they'd be much better going forward.

Columbia the obvious standout team, have a feeling they'll knock Brazil out in the quarters after beating Uruguay and then make it all the way to the final.

For a small enough team, Japan put in a serious amount of aimless, hopeful crosses (although they did score from one). Heard on RTE that before last nights game, they only had 6 shots on goal. That's appalling for 2 games.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 11:10am
Agree, Japan were very disappointing. I had the bolloxes to come out of that group with Columbia in a couple of bets!! They were exceptionally average.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 11:16am
Was disappointed in Quintero last night, given the opportunity to start and played quite poorly. Thought he had a great game against the IC but was poor last night.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 11:24am
Ivory Coast were shockingly bad last night. Thought they played very well against Colombia and I expected them to beat Greece as Greece were very poor against Colombia and Japan.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 11:37am
I hate Greece with a passion and will be mightly p1ssed off if they beat Costa Rica and make the 1/4 finals. 
They just play such ugly football!!

Boban View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 11:37am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Ivory Coast were shockingly bad last night. Thought they played very well against Colombia and I expected them to beat Greece as Greece were very poor against Colombia and Japan.
Greece had a man sent off in the first half against Japan and defended brilliantly with 10 men for the rest of the game.Certainly wouldn't describe them as poor in that game.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Boban Boban wrote:

Greece had a man sent off in the first half against Japan and defended brilliantly with 10 men for the rest of the game.Certainly wouldn't describe them as poor in that game.

They were poor but Japan was equally as poor even with a man advantage, didn't bring on Kagawa til 70th minute or so and Honda was anonymous - Story of their world cup.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

They were poor but Japan was equally as poor even with a man advantage, didn't bring on Kagawa til 70th minute or so and Honda was anonymous - Story of their world cup.
poor me arse. Down to 10 men after 20 minutes they implemented the only tactic they knew would give them the best chance of qualifying.

A brilliant defensive display from Greece in the second game earned them a shot at qualifying which they duly took last night.

They deserved it for resolutely digging in and fighting tooth and nail for every ball.

Edited by colemanY2K - 25 Jun 2014 at 11:47am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 12:41pm
Japan had a lot of good build-up play last night and just as many chances as Columbia but they're finishing in front of goal was atrocious.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2014 at 12:54pm

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

poor me arse. Down to 10 men after 20 minutes they implemented the only tactic they knew would give them the best chance of qualifying.

A brilliant defensive display from Greece in the second game earned them a shot at qualifying which they duly took last night.

They deserved it for resolutely digging in and fighting tooth and nail for every ball.
It was more to do with wastefulness from the Japanese than great Greek defending. I accept that they did well to get a draw, I don't think they were impressive though. They were absolutly no threat going forward.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>
  Share Topic