You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Final 82

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kopkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup Final 82
    Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 9:45am
Sittin here watchin the 82 Final on ESPN Classic.
What are the best finals people has seen? My own favourite is the 86 final between Argentina and West Germany.
Also what honour/distinction does Alessandro Altobelli hold from the 82 final????

Edited by kopkid - 07 Mar 2013 at 9:45am
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 10:37am
Altobelli came on as sub (Graziania), scored, taken off as sub (Causio)........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
kopkid View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kopkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Altobelli came on as sub (Graziania), scored, taken off as sub (Causio)........
Clap
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 10:57am
Out if 4 finals I saw 98,02,06,&10 I have go with 06 as best I seen.

Edited by theheff1989 - 07 Mar 2013 at 10:57am
Jackthelad View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 10:58am
Watched the game the other nite on ESPN Classics, the pace of the game has seriously increased with improved fitness. The time midfielders had on the ball without bein pressed was shockin, as were the tight shorts LOL
Oh Poland we loved you.....
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 10:59am
World Cup Finals have by and large been disappointing although that 82 one was pretty good and that Italian team, after a dreadful group stage performance, really came good after that and were worthy champions with some truly great players (Scirea, Cabrini, Tardelli, Conti and Rossi for example).  The finals I recall are as follows:

1974, Germany 2, Holland 1, not a great game, Holland should've won that tournament.

1978, Argies 3, Holland 1 (aet), decent Argie team who were the better team on the day and had a match winner in Kempes who scored two.

82, see above

86, Argies 3, WG 2, despite five goals it was a poor game on a dreadful pitch for a final, notable for Matthaeus marking Diego out of it, although it was Maradona's pass that set up the winner by Buuruchaga

90, Germany 1, ARgies 0.  An abomination of a final, disgraceful cynicism by the Argies and the birth of the Klinsmann dive, utterly forgettable

94, Brazil 0, Italy 0.  Brazil won on penos, another sh*te 120 minutes of a final.

98, France 3, Brazil 0, the Ronaldo Riddle when he was supposedly ill or whatever. Great French team though, deserving winners, one-sided final.

2002, Brazil 2, Germany 0.  Ronaldo's Revenge, another one sided final overall.

2006, Italy 1, France 1, Italy on pens. Decent enough game I thought, notable fore Zizou's headbutt, sad end to a glittering career.

2010, Spain 1, Holland 0, notable for Howard Webb's dreadful performance and Holland's cynicism.  Only one team tried to win it and thankully Iniesta did so.

So since 1974, very few memorable finals in my opinion.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:22am
I remember all Finals (fully I was 5 for 90)  from 94 onwards 2002 I would say prob sticks old in my mind, Two Goals From Ronaldo (wouldn't really call revenge more redemption).

One unlucky for Oliver Kahn who parried to the feet of Ronaldo, the second goal Was a good goal imo nice dummy by Rivaldo confused German defence to give Ronaldo enough time to slot in his second.

Was a poor World cup though in general Brazil prob deserved to Win it. but it could have been us had it not been for those pesky spaniards

Jackthelad View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
It's OUR year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackthelad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:41am
Sadly world cup finals in general havent been classics. Its not as if its the only big big game ever to be played so i dont think nerves are an excuse. Id say sooner or later we'l have a belter to talk about. I mean is it that much bigger than the Champions league final for players anymore.
Dont get me wrong, nothing compares to it and I love the world cups, hopefully we get the final a world cup in Brazil deserves next year.
Oh Poland we loved you.....
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 11:55am
I loved that '82 World Cup, so much drama, controversy and great football - the German-Austria "fix", Shumachers assault on Battison, the Kuwait players being summoned from the pitch by a Sheik, Norn Irn beating the hosts, El Diegos self defence against Brazil, Kevin Keegans shorts, the emergence of Cameroon, ..............some great games USSR - Brazil, Italy-Brazil, Germany-France, Scotland-Brazil, Scotland-USSR and the final itself........
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 12:20pm
The Italy-Germany semi-final in 06 is probably the best World Cup game I've watched in my lifetime (from 98 onwards)
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I loved that '82 World Cup, so much drama, controversy and great football - the German-Austria "fix", Shumachers assault on Battison, the Kuwait players being summoned from the pitch by a Sheik, Norn Irn beating the hosts, El Diegos self defence against Brazil, Kevin Keegans shorts, the emergence of Cameroon, ..............some great games USSR - Brazil, Italy-Brazil, Germany-France, Scotland-Brazil, Scotland-USSR and the final itself........

Agreed, 1982 was a brilliant tournament. It's where we first came across Roger Milla.  The player, not that thieving, Mussolini, Rovers-hating "mod" from here.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 12:30pm
My folks were on honeymoon in BArcelona at the time - went to the Italy/Poland semi final in the Nou Camp. My mam spent 90 minutes reading a book at it apparently!
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I remember all Finals (fully I was 5 for 90)  from 94 onwards 2002 I would say prob sticks old in my mind, Two Goals From Ronaldo (wouldn't really call revenge more redemption).

One unlucky for Oliver Kahn who parried to the feet of Ronaldo, the second goal Was a good goal imo nice dummy by Rivaldo confused German defence to give Ronaldo enough time to slot in his second.

Was a poor World cup though in general Brazil prob deserved to Win it. but it could have been us had it not been for those pesky spaniards

I had Brazil 2-0 and Ronaldo to score first at 18-1Smile
Vivakenbarlow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivakenbarlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 12:44pm
98 was prob the best ive seen

I was sure brazil would beat them but france were excellent
It took City 44 years to win the league and 10 months to lose it
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 1:11pm

If you get a chance to see the 1982 official FIFA film (might be on ESPN) theres a great slow-mo sequence of Claudio Gentile marking Diego and Sean Connery (the narrator) saying "Gentile is the type of player who likes to swap shirts during the game" as  Gentile drags at Diegos shirt for the umpteenth time in the match......

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 1:18pm
And Gentile did the same to Zico in the next match.
kopkid View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kopkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 1:23pm
Is it Scirea that is dead from that Italian team?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2013 at 1:29pm
'66 Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic