You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Expansion to 40 no, 48 teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 28293031>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

After watching Spain v Portugal last night I totally get the calls to reduce the number of teams in the World Cup.
It should be the best v the best.
Like the champions league there is too many teams in there just to make up the numbers.

It’s not good from an Ireland perspective but would make for a much better tournament.

Also I would do a draw each round.
I don’t see why we need to know Brazil’s potential path to the final. It would create more drama and uncertainty. 

Travelling fans are screwed over enough already. No need to make it worse. If you're a fan in, say, Kaliningrad, do you fancy having to get to Yekaterinburg inside 72 hours? Or Sochi? Without having any advance notice, it would be a disaster. There's simply no way to organise it without it being a clusterf**k for fans.

I much prefer the present system. Plus, under your potential system, you run a real risk of teams playing each other on a vastly different number of days of rest. You could have a team who haven't played in 7 days playing a team playing their second match in 4 days. That's not acceptable. The current system minimises that.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 16 Jun 2018 at 12:04pm
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 12:09pm
Spot on, SD. I do think they should get rid of the seeding and just have a geographical spread in the draw
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:35pm

After watching Spain v Portugal last night I totally get the calls to reduce the number of teams in the World Cup.
Like the champions league there is too many teams in there just to make up the numbers.

It’s not good from an Ireland perspective but would make for a much better tournament.

I don’t see why we need to know Brazil’s potential path to the final. It would create more drama and uncertainty. 

I don't think it should be expanded but it certainly shouldn't be reduced. You will have decent teams missing out every tournament. I don't like the idea of tournaments played in 3 or more countries. The champions league is sh*te because its not a champions league , its a Europe's richest league and it will never appeal to me the way the world cup does and that's saying something considering the state of international football. Teams like Panama , Iceland , South Korea , and Ourselves when we get there aren't just making up the numbers , they are carrying the hopes of millions of football fans as the underdogs
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

I don't think it should be expanded but it certainly shouldn't be reduced. You will have decent teams missing out every tournament. I don't like the idea of tournaments played in 3 or more countries. The champions league is sh*te because its not a champions league , its a Europe's richest league and it
will never appeal to me the way the world cup does and that's saying something considering the state of international football. Teams like Panama , Iceland , South Korea , and Ourselves when we get there aren't just making up the numbers , they are carrying the hopes of millions of football fans as the underdogs
Couldn't agree more.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Travelling fans are screwed over enough already. No need to make it worse. If you're a fan in, say, Kaliningrad, do you fancy having to get to Yekaterinburg inside 72 hours? Or Sochi? Without having any advance notice, it would be a disaster. There's simply no way to organise it without it being a clusterf**k for fans.

I much prefer the present system. Plus, under your potential system, you run a real risk of teams playing each other on a vastly different number of days of rest. You could have a team who haven't played in 7 days playing a team playing their second match in 4 days. That's not acceptable. The current system minimises that.

Agree what your saying SD.
Fans are totally screwed as it is. Before USA 94 they used to organise the groups to minimise the travelling for fans and teams.
Since then the aim seems to be maximise the travel for fans to generate more income for the host country.

A draw for 1/2 final would be no issue. The 1/4 final could also work. Agreed the 2nd round would be impossible.

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

An indirect consequence of US/Canada/Mexico getting World Cup 2026 is that it will mean it's less likely Qatar will be stripped of hosting in four year's time.

If the 2022 World Cup were to be taken away from Qatar, the US would have been the most likely alternative hosts.  But now they've been awarded the 2026 edition...

Germany, France and England could all host it at (relative) short notice 

It would be a far better option than Qatar given the weather difference.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:34pm
Seems to be a lot of media attention now again about Qatar and allegations of bribery and sabotage in regards to the other bidders for 2022.

Nothing will be done but love to see it be moved
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Seems to be a lot of media attention now again about Qatar and allegations of bribery and sabotage in regards to the other bidders for 2022.

Don't think there was much new in what came out yesterday and nothing that would really cause them to move the World Cup now, in comparison to all that is already out there.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:44pm

Deutschland 2022 Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:51pm
If that's proven, it means that they obtained the tournament by deception. That is surefire grounds to strip them of it.

The big issue would be replacement hosts - if UEFA and South America aren't allowed to host it because they've hosted the last two and CONCACAF aren't allowed because they're hosting the next one, then you have to ask which country from Asia or Africa is ready to stand in at very short notice.... it's a small list. It is really only Japan and South Korea, and Japan already have the 2020 Olympics.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:54pm

Allegations of bribery you say....
The country is the size of Cork+Kerry with a population of 3M with no footballing history.

They basically swapped oil for the World Cup.

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:54pm

If that's proven, it means that they obtained the tournament by deception. That is surefire grounds to strip them of it.

The big issue would be replacement hosts - if UEFA and South America aren't allowed to host it because they've hosted the last two and CONCACAF aren't allowed because they're hosting the next one, then you have to ask which country from Asia or Africa is ready to stand in at very short notice.... it's a small list. It is really only Japan and South Korea, and Japan already have the 2020 Olympics.

Image result for good day mate

Edited by lassassinblanc - 30 Jul 2018 at 2:55pm
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 2:55pm

America bumped up and reopening of bidding for 2026 ?

Or as Lassie says give it to the Aussies 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 30 Jul 2018 at 2:56pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 3:02pm
The only issue with Australia having it would be the ridiculously early matches it would be the same for Japan & Korea though

looking at the voting for WC

Qatar> 14
USA > 8
Korea> 5 (eliminated rd3)
Japan> 2  (eliminated rd2)
Australia > 1 (eliminated rd1)

If going by that Korea would be next in line
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 3:09pm
Ask those three.

If none of them want it, or aren't up to scratch (the Aussies needed to build or renovate a heap of stadiums), open it up completely, without geographic restriction.

Then we get Germany or England.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 3:26pm

Ask those three.

If none of them want it, or aren't up to scratch (the Aussies needed to build or renovate a heap of stadiums), open it up completely, without geographic restriction.

Germany or England could host a World Cup tomorrow if you asked them to.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 4:41pm

Ask those three.

Germany or England could host a World Cup tomorrow if you asked them to.
And the climate in those countries would mean being able to keep the tournament to the normal June/July set-up. Clap

I'll believe it when I see it though, I can see this one fizzling out just like the other scandals have. Disapprove
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 2:24pm
Qatar being stripped of the 2022 World Cup is actually more likely now than before.

Thw 2018 and 2022 tournaments were tied together in terms of TV rights, sponsorship, contracts etc.  You couldn't cancel one without cancelling the other.  But now that Russia 2018 is over...

Yeah, I'm bring too optimistic Unhappy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 28293031>
  Share Topic