Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Expansion to 40 no, 48 teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 31>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 8:57am
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

With so many non European players filling the European leagues it is getting harder to justify such a big number of European teams getting places. Europe is shooting itself in the foot.
Well 5 of the last 6 finalists and the last 3 World Champions have been European teams. I think we all know which is by far the strongest confederation.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sponsored Links

savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 9:32am
48 countries in Asia, 54 in Africa with another couple in dispute. There is no way they will stand for only 4 places going forward. If Europe went down to 10 for example the chances of us ever making the tournament would be almost nil unless we had a super generation coming through.
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 9:35am
Would only be good if it improved the quality of the teams. Not just to give the weaker associations all the places
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 9:39am

48 countries in Asia, 54 in Africa with another couple in dispute. There is no way they will stand for only 4 places going forward. If Europe went down to 10 for example the chances of us ever making the tournament would be almost nil unless we had a super generation coming through.
The power, best teams and most money is in Europe, if FIFA were to reduce UEFA's spots in the world Cup, I could see UEFA withdrawing from FIFA completely. Asian and African teams have done basically f**k all in World Cups so far. No way do they deserve more spots.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 10:04am

With so many non European players filling the European leagues it is getting harder to justify such a big number of European teams getting places. Europe is shooting itself in the foot.

I'll say it again .....

Have you ever watched the African Cup of Nations ?

Its so bad its funny.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 10:21am

Aside from UEFA only Concacaf deserve more places. AFC is over represented, CAF about right and there no way OFC should get a full place. Nab a half place off AFC and give it to Concacaf problem solved.

Edited by AnCearrbhach - 04 Dec 2015 at 10:25am
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 10:28am
After Italy 1990, when Cameroon made the QF's it was said that it was only a matter of time before an African side would win the world cup. We're still waiting. Likewise, Asia. Save for a dubious South Korean S/F in 2002, a couple more QF appearances for African sides (Ghana 2010, Senegal 2002) they've respectively achieved fcuk all at World Cups to merit substantially more places. 

Europe should get an additional 2 places out of the 8 new ones. 
South America +1
Oceania. None, still a play off. NZ are the highest ranked at 151.
Concacaf +1 
Asia +2
Africa +2
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Europe should get an additional 2 places out of the 8 new ones. 
South America +1
Oceania. None, still a play off. NZ are the highest ranked at 151.
Concacaf +1 
Asia +2
Africa +2

And even on the above only Europe and South America would be worthy of those additional places. There's a lot of muck in Concacaf so not sure about giving them an extra place at all. Asia and Africa plainly don't deserve any more slots.

Just shows really that there is no real need to change the existing format, bar political reasons.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Aside from UEFA only Concacaf deserve more places. AFC is over represented, CAF about right and there no way OFC should get a full place. Nab a half place off AFC and give it to Concacaf problem solved.
I always thought CONCACAF and CONNEMBOL should be merged. There's 35 teams there, let them play a preliminary round/group to get it down to 24.
6 groups of 4 teams, 6 group winners and playoffs for the runners up would get ya to the 9 teams they currently have.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I always thought CONCACAF and CONNEMBOL should be merged. There's 35 teams there, let them play a preliminary round/group to get it down to 24.
6 groups of 4 teams, 6 group winners and playoffs for the runners up would get ya to the 9 teams they currently have.
Apart from USA and Mexico none of them would have a hope in hell's chance of qualifying if lumped in with SA.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Apart from USA and Mexico none of them would have a hope in hell's chance of qualifying if lumped in with SA.

Costa Rica are ranked 37th and they got to the QF's in 2014 in Brazil and were only a penalty kick away from the semi's! The thing about the lesser federations, is that they have plenty of scope to improve.

But I agree that the federations overall strength is relatively weak compared to South America.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 9:00pm
If it goes to 40 teams. It also decreases the number of countries that can host it dye to costs infrastructure and stadiums.
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
HelloBarry View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HelloBarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 6:40am
Hoping they would also expand in Concacaf, Asia and Africa, a limited slot prevent those teams to showcase what they have. It feels like playing for Hunger Games. LOL
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:27am
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been updated.  Mods, can you please change the name of this thread to "World Cup expansion to 48 teams":-

Just when you thought World Cup expansion plans couldn't get any dumber.  So there's now plans for a World Cup where 16 teams will fly home after just one match?!?
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:56am
I don't think it's too bad an idea tbh, I wonder how the teams will be seeded will it be by straight up on the rankings or will it be x amount from one region x from another eg. 6 from Europe, 3 from SA, 3  from Africa, 1 from NA, 2 from Asia and the Host?

if it was straight from rankings there could be a danger of hosts missing out on seeding fro example Russia who will host 2018 were 18th in the rankings at time of 2014 draw they're currently 38th

Scrap the above statement the host are always seeded LOL

Edited by lassassinblanc - 05 Oct 2016 at 10:57am
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:24am
Lets make it 202 teams then we can all go to it Wacko
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 11:26am
I reckon by 2026 I won't be watching football at all and I doubt I will be the only former fan.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I reckon by 2026 I won't be watching football at all and I doubt I will be the only former fan.
A post Madonna.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 31>
  Share Topic