You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Expansion to 40 no, 48 teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 2:27pm
People complained when the World Cup was expanded from 16 teams to 24. They complained when it was expanded to 32. In both cases, it was to give more representation to the other confederations, not Europe and South America. Now they are proposing further expansion. Will Europe get any extra places? I'd be surprised if there was more than one extra European place. It will result in more dross from Asia, Africa and CONCACAF. Let's have a look at the worst team from every confederation last time round:

Honduras: 0 points, 1 goal scored, 8 conceded.
Cameroon: 0 points, 1 goal scored, 9 conceded.
Australia: 0 points, 3 goals scored, 9 conceded.
England: 1 point, 2 goals scored, 4 conceded.
Ecuador: 4 points, 3 goals scored, 3 conceded.

More teams will result in a less competitive tournament overall. The group stage already includes a degree of dross; with an expansion to 40 teams, there'll be even more dross.

Last time round, of Africa's five teams, 2/5 made the second round. Of Asia's four teams, 0/4 teams made it. Of CONCACAF's four teams, 3/4 made the second round. In the tournament before, 2/3 CONCACAF teams made it through. 1/6 from Africa and 2/4 from Asia. Only CONCACAF can have any real claim of under-representation. Europe and South America always have well over 50% of teams making it out of the group stages and never make up the whipping boys in the groups. An expansion of 8 teams will likely result in something like a guaranteed place for Oceania (an extra half a place), seven places for Asia (an extra two and a half places), seven places for Africa (an extra two places), five places for CONCACAF (an extra place and a half), six places for South America (an extra half a place) and fourteen places for Europe (one extra place). That'll be about the height of it. Europe was screwed on the expansion from 24 to 32 and will be screwed again if they expand it again.

If they are going to expand, however, I think it should be 32 extra matches: 8 groups of 5 teams. It makes qualification for the second round open to the top two only and doesn't have all this "best six runners up" stuff. It's much easier to figure out for players, fans, managers and nations, and makes hosting easier too.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 03 Dec 2015 at 2:28pm
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 2:46pm
8 groups of 5 would allow a repeat of the infamous 1982 game between Germany and Austria as there would be a team not playing on the last day
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 3:10pm
True..... but it's preferable to a ten group system. You'd also still have the teams who are playing on the last day kicking off at the same time. I know it's a different sport with less chance of draws, but the format doesn't seem to hurt the rugby world cup.

It can be partially avoided by having either the top seed or the bottom seed as the team not playing on the last day. The top seed should already have qualified and the bottom seed should already be out, although of course neither can be guaranteed, and a mutually convenient draw could be enough to knock out any team.

Also, the current system doesn't avoid mutually convenient results either, as the Sweden Denmark 2-2 in Euro 2004 demonstrated (although I don't think that was deliberate, just convenient).

Incidentally, it doesn't look like there would be any extra places for Europe at all:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/03/world-cup-expand-40-teams-fifa-reform

"The change is being seen as an attempt to appeal to the majority of the 209 Fifa members who feel Uefa currently has too many spots at the 32-team tournament. The World Cup was expanded from 24 teams to 32 in 1994 and the further expansion would allow Fifa to increase the number of slots available to those outside Europe."

The reason Europe has the most places is because it's the most competitive confederation. If there is an issue with the number of places each confederation has, then the solution does not have to be expansion: you can have a system that assesses the performance of the various confederations (be it by "average performance at a world cup", or otherwise), and use that to tinker with the allocations. Of course, we all know, on that system, Europe would only get *more* places. The expansion has absolutely nothing to do with increasing the quality of the tournament or the quality of the teams who get there: it's grubby politics.

The idea is awful.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 3:51pm
Awful idea. There really needs to be pre qualification tournaments to deal with the increased number of members, not an expansion of the finals themselves.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 5:20pm
Africa has the most countries attempting to qualify ifirc and lowest ratio per teams qualifying Europe and South America have the most.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 5:42pm
Perhaps, but why does that mean we should have more African teams? Is the World Cup about the best teams in the world, or a rigid selection of teams from around the world? Yes, the best teams from the poorer confederations should get in, but that doesn't mean each confederation should get a number of places proportionate to their number of members. You can't throw history out the window and keep good teams out just to let poorer ones in, with some misguided sense of "balance", when you'll actually harm competitive balance in the tournament.

Let's look at the teams who came closest to qualifying without actually doing so, at the last World Cup:

Oceania: New Zealand (lost to Mexico 9-3 in the playoff), current FIFA ranking: 151st
Africa: Burkina Faso (missed out on away goals), current FIFA ranking: 89th
Asia: Jordan (lost to Uruguay 5-0 in the playoff), current FIFA ranking: 87th
South America: Venezuela (sixth in the nine team group), current FIFA ranking: 83rd
CONCACAF: Panama (fifth in the Hexagonal), current FIFA ranking:64th
Europe: Ukraine (lost by the least of the defeated playoff teams), current FIFA ranking: 29th

Again, it's clear Europe are the ones screwed over by the current system. South America didn't fare too badly, but when you look at how the six South American teams actually got on the last world cup (5 out of 6 made the last sixteen, 3 made the quarters, the "worst" team actually finished third in their group), you can't say they were poor or that the continent was over-represented.

This proposal is a disgrace. If FIFA are not careful, they will kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 6:16pm
Anything that increases our chances is to be welcomed.

Who cares if the groups are sh*te, the classic games all come in the knock outs anyway
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 6:22pm
Obviously Id be delighted if it increases our chances of getting there but last year was the best world cup I've ever watched in regards to the group games. I thought the football was brilliant and feck all bad ones imo. It's probably better not to change it.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Who cares if the groups are sh*te, the classic games all come in the knock outs anyway

But it straight up doesn't: there'll likely be the same number of places of Europe and more for the other confederations.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

But it straight up doesn't: there'll likely be the same number of places of Europe and more for the other confederations.

Indeed. so if europes places increase then i am for it. Otherwise , down with that sort of thing . With 8 extra places then Europe should get 3 IMO
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 7:16pm
If they want to increase the World Cup to 40, why not abolish the confederation qualifiers completely?
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

If they want to increase the World Cup to 40, why not abolish the confederation qualifiers completely?

Exactly, its a joke.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 9:30pm
Great idea and people need to open their eyes. Europe are only going to lose places if it is not expanded and countries like us would be the losers. Africa and Asia are only getting stronger in football and for all their countries their 5 places each is not going to satisfy them. Compare the number of African and Asian players in the CL to the number of Irish, Scottish or Welsh. We need this as if Asia and Africa get an extra 1 place each only Europe will lose places.
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Great idea and people need to open their eyes. Europe are only going to lose places if it is not expanded and countries like us would be the losers. Africa and Asia are only getting stronger in football and for all their countries their 5 places each is not going to satisfy them. Compare the number of African and Asian players in the CL to the number of Irish, Scottish or Welsh. We need this as if Asia and Africa get an extra 1 place each only Europe will lose places.

Have you ever watched the African Cup of Nations.
Fcuking woeful stuff !!!
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 10:20pm
Africa have the power because they vote as one in the FIFA President elections. If you win Africa, you win the Presidency.

Considering we in Europe are financial powerhouse/lifeblood of the game, we have been severly let down by the powers that be. We should have at least 20 teams are a 32 team WC. We should be able to bully the rest into submission.
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

The clubs wouldn't have it and it would be a disaster for travelling fans. Imagine a double away trip to Fiji and Brazil. Friday, Tuesday job. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Africa have the power because they vote as one in the FIFA President elections. If you win Africa, you win the Presidency.

Considering we in Europe are financial powerhouse/lifeblood of the game, we have been severly let down by the powers that be. We should have at least 20 teams are a 32 team WC. We should be able to bully the rest into submission.

Spot on.

Indiscriminate airstrikes would be my suggestion along with a constant napalm barrage combined with delusions of grandeur leaflets being airdropped onto FIFA's HQ.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2015 at 12:45am
With so many non European players filling the European leagues it is getting harder to justify such a big number of European teams getting places. Europe is shooting itself in the foot.
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 31>
  Share Topic