Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup bids 2018 and 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 9:10am
Was reading up on this yesterday. Apparently the Uefa bigwigs of Platini & Beckenbaur are going to vote for Russia & will take a lot of votes with them about 7 votes, the Spain/Portugal has the most votes at the minute 8 or 9, the english have about 5/6 votes and the others have a few voting so after the first rounds of votes the likely hood is the floating voters will either plump for Russia or England & apparently some Belgian fella holds the key to england winning as his vote could mean the difference in the 2nd last round of votes as if he votes for say england then russia will lose out & all their voters are then likely to vote for the england bid in the last round of voting though if the Belgian votes for Russia then they are favourites to win. 

The biggest worry for england i would say is, if there is a split decision at any time then Mr Blatter has the casting vote & that will be an interesting vote i'd say - especially if he ends up voting the same as yer man Warner with all that has gone on between them which i woulg guess is the big topic of the panaroma programme tonight. Read a quote from Warner which is something like this - "i dont care what they write cause i just wont answer them" lol
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 11:42am
Quote Panorama: Three Fifa World Cup officials took bribes

Three senior Fifa officials who will vote on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids took bribes in the 1990s, according to the BBC's Panorama.

Nicolas Leoz, Issa Hayatou and Ricardo Teixeira took the money from a sport marketing firm awarded lucrative World Cup rights, the programme alleges.

The alleged bribes are included in a confidential document listing 175 payments totalling about $100m (£64m).

The three men did not respond to Panorama's allegations.

Fifa, world football's governing body, also declined interview requests to address the allegations.

Timing criticised

Panorama, to be broadcast later, also reports on evidence of a fourth senior Fifa executive's continued involvement in the resale of World Cup tickets to touts.

The BBC has received criticism over the timing of the programme, which comes ahead of Thursday's vote by Fifa's executive committee on who will host the 2018 and 2022 World Cup finals.

England is competing with Russia, Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belgium to host the 2018 tournament.

The BBC has defended the timing of Panorama, saying the programme is in the public interest.

The alleged bribes to the three members of Fifa's executive committee were paid by sports marketing company International Sport and Leisure (ISL) and date from 1989 to 1999, Panorama reports. The company collapsed in 2001.

Fifa granted ISL exclusive rights to market World Cup tournaments to some of the world's biggest brands and ISL received millions more from negotiating television broadcast rights.

A former account manager at ISL, Roland Buechel, said staff had long suspected bribes were being paid for the lucrative Fifa contracts.

"It is huge money, billions, that can be earned and all the sports marketing companies they fight, they want it," Mr Buechel said.

Some details of the alleged bribes emerged in 2008, when six ISL managers were accused of misusing company money.

Front company

One Fifa official - Nicolas Leoz, of Paraguay, the head of South America's football confederation - was named in court papers in connection with payments totalling $130,000 (£83,000).

But Panorama has obtained a confidential ISL document which lists 175 secret payments. It shows Mr Leoz was paid a further $600,000 (£384,000 using current conversions) in three instalments of $200,000.

Mr Leoz did not respond to requests for comment on Panorama's allegations.

The second Fifa official named by the programme, Ricardo Teixeira, is head of the Brazilian Football Confederation which is responsible for staging the 2014 World Cup.

The ISL list shows a front company in Liechtenstein called Sanud received 21 payments totalling $9.5m (£6m).

Mr Teixeira was closely linked to Sanud by an inquiry of the Brazilian senate in 2001. It found that funds from Sanud had been secretly channelled to Mr Teixeira through one of his companies.

Mr Teixeira also did not respond to Panorama's request for comment on the allegations.

The list obtained by Panorama also includes details of 100,000 French Francs (£12,900) paid to Issa Hayatou, the Fifa vice-president representing football in African nations.

Mr Hayatou also did not respond to the allegations when contacted by Panorama.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter said in a statement that the 2008 court case had largely exonerated the former ISL officials.

He said: "It is important to stress that no Fifa officials were accused of any criminal offence in these proceedings."

The recipients of most of the money paid by ISL into accounts in Liechtenstein cannot be traced.

These latest allegations of wrongdoing by Fifa executive members come after two of the 24 committee members were banned last month from voting in Thursday's ballot. The bans came after the London-based Sunday Times accused Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii of being willing to sell their World Cup votes.

Black market

Critics of Fifa say a full investigation is required.

"I can't help feeling it would be a better role for England to actually be insisting on the reform of Fifa, making Fifa transparent, making Fifa accountable instead of kowtowing to Fifa in order to get the World Cup finals," said David Mellor, the former chairman of the Football Task Force in Tony Blair's government.

The fourth Fifa executive named in the Panorama programme is Trinidad and Tobago's Jack Warner, one of the organisation's vice-presidents.

Panorama says it has seen e-mails and an invoice which show Mr Warner was involved in the procurement of $84,000 worth of 2010 World Cup tickets.

The e-mail trail suggests the tickets were destined for the black market but the planned deal - including 38 tickets for the final in Johannesburg - collapsed because the touts were not prepared to pay the asking price.

In 2006, Panorama revealed that Mr Warner had sold tickets on the black market for that year's World Cup tournament in Germany.

Fifa subsequently ordered Mr Warner's family business, Simpaul Travel, to make a $1m donation to charity to "compensate for the profits it had made through resale of 2006 Fifa World Cup tickets".

At a recent press conference, Mr Blatter was asked about the fresh allegations against Mr Warner by a Norwegian journalist who first broke the story of the e-mails.

Mr Blatter replied: "Should it be knowledgeable to us, by official means, or by official channels, then naturally we would have to look at that."

Fifa's media office, when asked by the Norwegian journalist what Mr Blatter meant by "official channels", reportedly replied: "We have no idea."

Panorama: Fifa's Dirty Secrets, BBC One, Monday, 29 November at 2030 GMT then available in the UK on the BBC iPlayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11841783

Edited by Denis Irwin - 29 Nov 2010 at 11:42am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 4:07pm
anyone watch this? i forgot to record it

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 4:13pm
Yeah was alright. They're some bunch of coonts the amount of money they're getting in backhanders is fookin sickening. They also basically put a gun to Government's of bidding nations basically telling them if they don't give them (FIFA) Tax Exemptions they won't be anywhere near  getting a World Cup.

Edited by Denis Irwin - 29 Nov 2010 at 4:14pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honey Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Yeah was alright. They're some bunch of coonts the amount of money they're getting in backhanders is fookin sickening. They also basically put a gun to Government's of bidding nations basically telling them if they don't give them (FIFA) Tax Exemptions they won't be anywhere near  getting a World Cup.

So it looked pretty bad on FIFA yeah? Cant see the English getting 2018 and if they dont, they will blame the BBC, banker.

samscafe View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samscafe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 12:57am
Blatter wants a legacy, what better than in his mind to use football to unite Korea, North and South together to host the WC
Certain mods are complete wankstains
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 2:29am
Sickening to watch. The facts are just so blatantly ignored by FIFA and it's just very frustrating to see how they are killing the game of football.
Try to get a copy and read ´Foul Play´ by the same journalist (Andrew Jennings) lads. It will astound you even more.
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 6:44am

Lets face it Steve if they FIFA lot were getting a cut as it were I amd Dam sure I know why they wanted to ignore the facts .

The whole lot of them are crooks from what I saw last night .

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 6:52am

Just watched the recording of the Panaroma programme there and I knew yer man Warner was the biggest crook of them all before this but telling another human being(the reporter) "i wish had spat on you, but i wouldnt dignify my spit to waste it on you" is totally out of order for someone so high up in any corporate business in my opinion.

The mad thing is the programme has only unearthed a tiny fraction of the corruption that is & has gone on in fifa in my opinion & the whole tax exemption thing is a complete joke & did i hear them say that during a world cup fifa is to have the final say on immigration into the host country - if so cant see the uk letting them have any of that with the way the fight about it in the parliment at the moment
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Lets face it Steve if they FIFA lot were getting a cut as it were I amd Dam sure I know why they wanted to ignore the facts .

The whole lot of them are crooks from what I saw last night .

Absolutely Murph, crooks of the highest order. And pretty obvious why the try to ignore it, as all of them kneedeep in the same sh*t.
Trust me Murph, read the book, and you'll be even more seething!
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
Karnage View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 7:48am
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

Just watched the recording of the Panaroma programme there and I knew yer man Warner was the biggest crook of them all before this but telling another human being(the reporter) "i wish had spat on you, but i wouldnt dignify my spit to waste it on you" is totally out of order for someone so high up in any corporate business in my opinion.

The mad thing is the programme has only unearthed a tiny fraction of the corruption that is & has gone on in fifa in my opinion & the whole tax exemption thing is a complete joke & did i hear them say that during a world cup fifa is to have the final say on immigration into the host country - if so cant see the uk letting them have any of that with the way the fight about it in the parliment at the moment

absolute gangsters fifa are, they make fianna fail look like amateurs
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 8:43am
Originally posted by samscafe samscafe wrote:

Blatter wants a legacy, what better than in his mind to use football to unite Korea, North and South together to host the WC

I'm not sure if this a joke or serious commentErmm
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Tash Kent View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tash Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 9:13am
Would hate Russia or England, Euro 96 in England was sh1te I think and loads of half empty stadiums, i can understand why it would be handy to get there and maybe even for cost staying with friends instead of using hotels but I cant see it being much craic there, and Russia is just way too hard to travel around and scum fans as well.Thumbs%20Down

Would be happy with Spain/Portugal or Holland/Belgium for European choice, Euro 2000 was well organised and was easy to get between games.

Think England have fooked themselves up anyway, FIFA and its voting members won’t like the bad publicity.

As for the non European choice Australia would be a good choice but would be expensive enough getting there if we are involved, good to have local Irish community to access tickets as well.

Edited by Tash Kent - 30 Nov 2010 at 9:39am
Philip Greene RTE Radio Legend
10 Seconds Gone Here In Limerick And No Score.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 9:29am
If you were in charge of FIFA would you take a back hander? I think most people would take bribes if offered and they thought they could get away with it. These journalists are all the same, setting traps for people to fall into. Be great to follow them home and see what they get up to in their private time
Ireland4ever View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ireland4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 9:34am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

If you were in charge of FIFA would you take a back hander? I think most people would take bribes if offered and they thought they could get away with it. These journalists are all the same, setting traps for people to fall into. Be great to follow them home and see what they get up to in their private time

ConfusedLOL Good man Andy!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Tash Kent Tash Kent wrote:

Would hate Russia or England, Euro 96 in England was sh1te I think and loads of half empty stadiums, i can understand why it would be handy to get there and maybe even for cost staying with friends instead of using hotels but I cant see it being much craic there, and Russia is just way too hard to travel around and scum fans as well.Thumbs%20Down

Would be happy with Spain/Portugal or Holland/Belgium for European choice, Euro 2000 was well organised and was easy to get between games.

Think England have fooked themselves up anyway, FIFA and its voting members won’t like the bad publicity.

As for the non European choice Australia would be a good choice but would be expensive enough getting there if we are involved, good to have local Irish community to access tickets as well.

Sh1te might be a bit strong Tash but alot of people have short memorys, as you said alot of stadiums werent full despite England being 'football mad', England had only 2 decent games and one of those was against a self imploding dutch and you wouldnt want to be driving a german car on the night of the semi final
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 12:11pm
FFS, this is getting ridiculous.  Ireland co-hosting the World Cup with England?!??

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/ireland-business-blog-with-lisa-ocarroll/2010/nov/30/ireland-world-cup-2018

Let's put aside the obvious reasons why not and say it'll never happen.

As for the Panorama programme last night.  there's been little comment about successful bidders having to change their labour laws, commercial protection laws, or providing tax exemption status to FIFA and their sponsors.

Seriously, is it worth hosting the World Cup?  Especially if you have to @r$elick corrupt sumbags like Jack Warner to get it?
Saint Sylvester View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Sylvester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 5:47pm
Would like to see England get the 2018 World cup, that German team will be about 29/30 average years of age by then, and it would be great to see such a great team win it right on that bunch coonts home soil.

Back the bid man.Thumbs%20Up

See I don't give a f**k, thats my problem,I see a mudda f**king cop I don't dodge em. NWA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
  Share Topic