Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2022 Qualifying-Nations League Link

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Maybe they knew sh*t was about to go down with Platini and they're worried, very worried.

That would be delicious 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:17pm
i see Donny Orange and his beareau bringing the cup to the USA . Along with the Intelligence office people
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

not a hope in hell that qatar will not hold this , if they get shafted they will bring FIFA down with them 

If Qatar were stripped of the 2022 World Cup, it would only be because there was undeniable proof that they had bribed their way to victory. That being the case, how would Qatar have any grounds for a big lawsuit against FIFA?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:52pm
It's not about a lawsuit, it's about the amount of dirt they have on absolutely everyone in FIFA who they bribed or coerced or "persuaded" to get the tournament. Those lads are all out to protect their own backs and a wounded Qatar would be a very dangerous beast. Qatar may be discredited, of course, but they could still take a lot of people down with them.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:18pm
With 32 teams in League A and B now it is very likely they'll adopt the format of 12 teams entering a playoff for 3 World Cup spots. 10 group runner ups and 2 teams from the 2020/21 Nation's League.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:24pm
Nah, no runners up.

Four winners from League A, four group winners from League B and four group winners from League C, unless otherwise qualified.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:30pm

Nah, no runners up.

Four winners from League A, four group winners from League B and four group winners from League C, unless otherwise qualified.

I was referring to the runner ups in the World Cup qualifying groups. 

"For the qualification structure, the second season of the Nations League has been partly linked with European qualification for the World Cup, similar to the UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying play-offs.[2] In the first round, the ten group winners will qualify directly. A possible option for the second round is to add two teams based on their Nations League performance to the 10 group runners-up to make it 12 teams that will play in two knockout stages, from which an additional three teams will also qualify" 

“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2019 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Nah, no runners up.

"For the qualification structure, the second season of the Nations League has been partly linked with European qualification for the World Cup, similar to the UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying play-offs.[2] In the first round, the ten group winners will qualify directly. A possible option for the second round is to add two teams based on their Nations League performance to the 10 group runners-up to make it 12 teams that will play in two knockout stages, from which an additional three teams will also qualify" 

A possibility only. The next sentence from the Wikipedia entry is key "The format will be finalised during the UEFA Executive Committee session with the union's national teams competitions panel on 24 September 2019 in Ljubljana, Slovenia."

However, they did not formalise it today. I assume it will be formalised at some stage before the actual Nations League draw but that could change.

I should have been clearer in my earlier post that I was only hypothesising.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 24 Sep 2019 at 11:45pm
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 12:09am

Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Nah, no runners up.

A possibility only. The next sentence from the Wikipedia entry is key "The format will be finalised during the UEFA Executive Committee session with the union's national teams competitions panel on 24 September 2019 in Ljubljana, Slovenia."

However, they did not formalise it today. I assume it will be formalised at some stage before the actual Nations League draw but that could change.

I should have been clearer in my earlier post that I was only hypothesising.

Yes you are correct. It's all guess work at this stage. Be interesting to see how they link it to World Cup qualifying. Personally I would be surprised if the World Cup qualifying group runner ups didn't advance to the playoffs. I think it would be quite controversial to have the Nation's League as the only route to the world cup playoffs. There is less spots on offer in comparison to the Euros
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 3:31am
Feel like there need to be runners up advancing to a playoffs or the qualifiers would get pretty boring pretty quickly when there's a runaway group winner. UEFA should have more spots than it already has, but that's another discussion. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic