You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2022 Qualifying-Nations League Link

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup 2022 Qualifying-Nations League Link
    Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 11:12am
PARIS — European teams will get a qualifying path to the 2022 World Cup via the Nations League competition.

UEFA is preparing a qualifying format that should see teams earn places in the playoffs by winning a Nations League group in 2020.

It would fulfil UEFA’s pledge when creating the competition five years ago to make it feed into major tournaments.

“It will be part of the plan that the Nations League will fit in,” UEFA’s competitions expert Giorgio Marchetti told The Associated Press on Tuesday”.

Group winners in all four Nations League tiers are also assured of a place in the 2020 European Championship qualifying playoffs next March, if they don’t advance directly. The playoffs will decide the last four entries in a 24-team lineup at Euro 2020.

The 55 European national teams will compete for 13 places in the 32-team World Cup lineup in Qatar. Ten places will be earned by winners of the traditional qualifying groups played in 2021.

That leaves three World Cup entries to be allocated in playoffs.

“Obviously we will have to include in the playoffs all the runners-up in the 10 groups,” Marchetti said.

One option is adding two teams based on their Nations League results to create a 12-team playoffs with two knockout rounds, where three winners advance to the 2022 World Cup.

“I think it’s good to give it (Nations League) that status,” said Gijs de Jong, secretary of the Netherlands soccer federation. The Dutch failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup and Euro 2016, but returned to form in the Nations League.

Marchetti said UEFA expects to finalize its World Cup qualifying format in September. The national team competitions panel is scheduled to meet before a UEFA executive committee session on Sept. 24 in Ljubljana, Slovenia.

“The Nations League is already very important by itself,” said Marchetti, who is one of UEFA’s deputy general secretaries. “There are objectives and incentives for all. And teams can be involved to the end.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dcunited/uefa-plots-2022-world-cup-qualifying-path-via-nations-league/2019/06/04/110ec68c-86f3-11e9-9d73-e2ba6bbf1b9b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7f776cd6795d

My personal opinion on this is that you have to commend UEFA again. I was worried that the 2nd place teams in World Cup Qualifying would lose out on the playoffs due to the Nations League but this system is actually fairer. For World Cup 2018 Qualifying there were 9 groups of 6 teams and the 8 best runner ups got a playoff spot. Going by the above there would be 10 groups and all 10 runner ups would get a playoff spot alongside 2 teams from the Nations League. There would be 3 playoff paths so I assume it would be similar to the Euro 2020 playoffs. 3 playoff paths with 4 teams each. A one legged semifinal and a one legged final to decide the final 3 teams to qualify to Qatar 2022.

“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Sponsored Links

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:15pm
That's surely a positive for us? 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Correct, the lower Nations League we're in the better. Ideally, you'd have a sh1t nations league ranking and a great qualifiers ranking (World Ranking)
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:53pm
Surely FIFA will kick up a sh*tstorm over this. They’d be freaked if someone like France missed out and Macedonia qualified instead through a group D playoff. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Surely FIFA will kick up a sh*tstorm over this. They’d be freaked if someone like France missed out and Macedonia qualified instead through a group D playoff. 

There is only 2 spots on offer through the Nations League so I assume it’ll only be on offer to League A and B. It might be beneficial to be in a lower league for Euros Qualifying but not for World Cup Qualifying.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Correct, the lower Nations League we're in the better. Ideally, you'd have a sh1t nations league ranking and a great qualifiers ranking (World Ranking)
So our relegation to League C for the next NL won't come back to haunt us after all as I thought it would (when it seemed like only teams in Leagues A and B would be in the play-offs)? Thank God for that. Clap

Incidentally, the qualifying draw is 19th July 2019 according to Wikipedia - that clearly won't be happening now. LOL

Edited by ConorMac77 - 16 Jun 2019 at 1:02pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 1:59pm
It’s just a f**king farce at this stage. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It’s just a f**king farce at this stage. 
No sh*t, Sherlock! LOL

To be fair though, at first glance, it looks like it might be a bit more straightforward than the NL link with the European Championships. But I'm sure UEFA will soon throw in a few curveballs in the coming months and years to leave us all confused again. LOL
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

So our relegation to League C for the next NL won't come back to haunt us after all as I thought it would (when it seemed like only teams in Leagues A and B would be in the play-offs)? Thank God for that. Clap

Incidentally, the qualifying draw is 19th July 2019 according to Wikipedia - that clearly won't be happening now. LOL

Well it can - they are drawing ten qualifying groups and the ten winners qualify automatically. That's all that needs to be drawn at this stage. The exact format thereafter is a matter for decision but the first phase can be drawn without the format for the second stage having been decided.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 2:47pm
But we connect the two at all? The NL was been very well received, the only flaw is this confusing and pointless attempt to intertwine it with the Euro qualifiers. Between the ridiculous hosting of this Euros, the choice of hosting the next World Cup and this attempt to make qualifying for these things look like they have been drawn up by the GAA, they are trying their best to make international football as ridiculous as possible. 
I am sure they are making extra money, in the short-term at least.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Well it can - they are drawing ten qualifying groups and the ten winners qualify automatically. That's all that needs to be drawn at this stage. The exact format thereafter is a matter for decision but the first phase can be drawn without the format for the second stage having been decided.
Could it though? How do they decide who goes into the 5-team groups when they don't know which teams will be in the NL semi-finals until the group stage of the next NL is completed in November 2020? They would need to be able to keep those teams in 5-team groups so they would be able to keep June 2021 free to play in the NL finals that month (presuming they keep the same format as the one just finished). 

Edited by ConorMac77 - 16 Jun 2019 at 3:05pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:03pm
It's mostly about eliminating friendlies; for that, it has been a great boost.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:06pm

100%, but it could surely have done that without devaluing the Euros and  the World Cup?
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:08pm

But we connect the two at all? The NL was been very well received, the only flaw is this confusing and pointless attempt to intertwine it with the Euro qualifiers. Between the ridiculous hosting of this Euros, the choice of hosting the next World Cup and this attempt to make qualifying for these things look like they have been drawn up by the GAA, they are trying their best to make international football as ridiculous as possible. 
I am sure they are making extra money, in the short-term at least.

I disagree to be honest. You wouldn’t have had such competitive games in the Nations Leagues B to D if there wasn’t the allure of qualifying for Euro 2020. I actually think it’s a much better system then allowing 3rd placed teams enter a playoff in a 6 team group. It might be a bit complicated but it’s done no harm to the competitiveness of European international Football. Allowing 2 teams from the Nations League enter a World Cup Playoff does no harm either in my opinion. The 10 runner ups in the normal qualifying still get a playoff spot. In the old system it was 8 best runner ups out of the 9 groups. The the new format is much better in my opinion.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:16pm

100%, but it could surely have done that without devaluing the Euros and  the World Cup?

Without the link to qualifying (beyond the tenuous connection that seeding provides), it makes lower division games less meaningful.

On the other point, they can't do the World Cup draw: I forgot about the fact nations league finalists have to be drawn in groups of five.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 3:28pm

Without the link to qualifying (beyond the tenuous connection that seeding provides), it makes lower division games less meaningful.

On the other point, they can't do the World Cup draw: I forgot about the fact nations league finalists have to be drawn in groups of five.
Surely the point should be that playing in a higher group gives you a higher ranking and seeding and a better chance of qualifying? Thus getting promoted should be competitive? One of the silliest things about it is having a Group D qualifier for the very obvious reason, as well as the fact that you have teams with less of an interest in the actual qualifiers in favour of the playoffs from the NL. 

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 4:40pm

Surely the point should be that playing in a higher group gives you a higher ranking and seeding and a better chance of qualifying? Thus getting promoted should be competitive? One of the silliest things about it is having a Group D qualifier for the very obvious reason, as well as the fact that you have teams with less of an interest in the actual qualifiers in favour of the playoffs from the NL. 

Having 6 team groups where the 3rd placed team in the group gets a playoff spot also made qualifying dull in my opinion. The bigger nations basically knew they were qualified less then halfway through. It really was an absolute disgrace that the Dutch couldn’t even get a playoff the more I think about it. Allowing a League D team into the Euros is the only controversial aspect of the Qualifying format but this won’t be used for World Cup Qualifying and Kosovo have already shown they are well and capable of competing with the teams from higher divisions, even Georgia to a lesser extent. To be honest I think there is more merit in getting a playoff spot in winning your Nations League Group than finishing 3rd in a 6 team qualifying group. Sure the majority of the teams who end up in the League A and B playoff path will likely have finished 3rd anyways. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 5:06pm
Agreed, that's why there should only be 16 teams in the Euros. The decision to make it 24 was the first piece of stupidity here.
Kosovo are unlucky in that they are a new member. 

The whole thing really is farcical. I used to laugh at the GAA and their 'back door' but it is far more logical than this mess. It really is a shame as the NL is great, but it is dragging down the Euros as much as it is removing friendlies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic