You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 12:12pm
Wait, they are putting games in Kaliningrad?!?! That's farking mental. Has to mean flights a plenty, overland to Kaliningrad either means getting mutli-entry visas for both Russia and Belarus (pricy!) or else interminable travel via Lithuania and Latvia. Stupid idea.

FIFA don't care about fans (not that that's news).
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Wait, they are putting games in Kaliningrad?!?! That's farking mental. Has to mean flights a plenty, overland to Kaliningrad either means getting mutli-entry visas for both Russia and Belarus (pricy!) or else interminable travel via Lithuania and Latvia. Stupid idea.

When we were planning where we'd go during the euros trip one of my mates was looking at Kaliningrad and half suggested "we should go there for a day" before immediately changing his mind "arrah probably nothing there but a bunch of Russians" LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

When we were planning where we'd go during the euros trip one of my mates was looking at Kaliningrad and half suggested "we should go there for a day" before immediately changing his mind "arrah probably nothing there but a bunch of Russians" LOL

Plus, you'd have needed a visa. And you can't just rock up and roll in.

http://www.konigsberg.ru/eng/kaliningrad/express-visa.htm
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by fear-glas fear-glas wrote:

Wonder what they will do for the 100th anniversary of the World Cup, will they return to Uruguay, play it in England or do a Worldwide event?

Uruguayan plans to bid for the centenary World Cup have been going for a decade now.  But seeing as it's too small a country to host a 32-team World Cup, they hope to co-host it with Argentina:-

The campaign for the 2030 World Cup has started so early because of what happened to Athens for the centenary Olympics in 1996.  It was generally assumed that they would get it, only to be beaten by Atlanta in the end.  Through bribery it later turned out.  Not a stretch to imagine China have the means to do something similar.

I'll be an old man by 2030, but for years I've taken to the idea of going to the centenary World Cup in Uruguay as my last football trip, so I hope it happens.  Besides, you just know that FIFA will cynically decreed that Qatar is actually Middle East, not Asia, so China can get the 2024 World Cup.

Edited by newrynyuk - 26 Apr 2013 at 1:17pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 1:07pm

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Plus, you'd have needed a visa. And you can't just rock up and roll in.

http://www.konigsberg.ru/eng/kaliningrad/express-visa.htm

The visa was what put us off going there. It would've been nice to visit for a break away from the rest of the fans for a day or two
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 2:25pm

...first of all whether it was farking mental or not the Russians wanted Kalinigrad to host games for political purposes and FIFA made it happen.

Transportation wise (trains) it would be mental but you know full well the visa restrictions will be lifted by the Russians. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 26 Apr 2013 at 2:31pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by KingLeo KingLeo wrote:

Kaliningrad have chosen a very unique stadium plan:

What's happening in the corners there?
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 4:08pm
From what I can make out hoosay is a swimming pool (bottom), a ice hockey rink (left), a bandy pitch (top) but haven't a clue what that is on the right..
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

From what I can make out hoosay is a swimming pool (bottom), a ice hockey rink (left), a bandy pitch (top) but haven't a clue what that is on the right..

A giant version of whack-a-mole?
KingLeo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingLeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 5:21pm
colemany2k appears to be correct, no idea what the top right corner is though. Perhaps someone understands Russian?
The diving board will give a great view of the pitch Big smile
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 6:11pm

That's pretty cool.

UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 9:32am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

(Edit - false starter, wrong use of Dictionary)

центр единоборств -Centre Edinoborstv

Martial Arts Centre.  (also, Giant Twister for the team bonding sessions.)

Edited by UCDFAN - 27 Apr 2013 at 9:45am
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 8:21pm
WC mascots Russia 2018

Three candidates reach the final voting for the Mascot for Russia 2018.

Wolf (volk), Cat (kot) and Tiger (tiger).  As shown the first two professions are athletes and the tiger's profession is cosmonaut.

Tournament Website
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 8:30pm
Would have thought they'd go with a bear
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

WC mascots Russia 2018

Three candidates reach the final voting for the Mascot for Russia 2018.

Wolf (volk), Cat (kot) and Tiger (tiger).  As shown the first two professions are athletes and the tiger's profession is cosmonaut.

Tournament Website

Is it me or could the Wolfs thumbs up easily be mistaken for giving the middle finger there LOL LOL LOL Maybe it's Putins way of telling a lot of countries to go feck themselves

Edited by Hans Moleman - 25 Sep 2016 at 8:46pm
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 12:18am
Russia played their friendly tonight in Chechnya off all places. Obviously trying to win some love before the WC. If you watch the highlights, the crowd are decked in patriotism. Romania robbed of a penalty and the injury time Russian winner looks like a clear offside.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Peter Stöger Peter Stöger wrote:

Russia played their friendly tonight in Chechnya off all places. Obviously trying to win some love before the WC. If you watch the highlights, the crowd are decked in patriotism. Romania robbed of a penalty and the injury time Russian winner looks like a clear offside.

Taste of what to exepect in 19 Months time. Russia will 'win' that WC no doubt about it
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 1:33pm
I bet FIFA won't laugh if the US asks to be the 33rd team...........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic