You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup 2018
    Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 4:02pm
The new build 45,000 seater Stadium in Kazan, Tartarstan hopes to get a Quarter-Final in 2018.
Kazan is the venue for the XXVII Universiade (World Student Games), 12 events compulsory. Hopefully Ireland can send a Mens and Women's team next year.  The IUFA didn't send Football teams to Shenchen near Hong Kong in 2011.

Having concluded their tour of Kazan’s FIFA World Cup competition and non-competition venues, the delegation of the Russia 2018 Local Organising Committee headed by its CEO Alexey Sorokin together with representatives of the FIFA inspection team led by Jürgen Müller.

Sorokin
"The matches will be distributed on the principle of  a stadium’s compliance with FIFA’s seating and capacity requirements and based on the draw results. Semifinals of the FIFA World Cup must be staged in stadiums able to seat the minimum of 60,000 people, while stadiums bidding to host the final must have the capacity of not less than 80,000 people,» said Alexey Sorokin, CEO of the Russia 2018 Local Organising Committee.

Special consideration was also given to fans’ safety at football matches. The experience of the 2012 UEFA Euro Cup that is currently taking place in Poland and Ukraine has demonstrated again the significance of developing a code of conduct for football fans and providing safety at such high-profile events as football championships.

Müller
For his part, Jürgen Müller, FIFA’s head of the 2014, 2018 and 2022 World Cups, said that the results of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Host Cities selection process would be revealed as early as in September 2012.

Sponsored Links

UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 12:48am
September 29th 2012 is the promised big day for the announcement of venues for Russia 2018.
Up to TWO venues may be cut from a current list of THIRTEEN. (unlucky for some).

"A FIFA delegation spent much of the spring and summer visiting the 13 candidate cities of Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kaliningrad, Yekaterinburg, Yaroslavl, Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, Samara, Saransk, Volgograd, Sochi, Krasnodar and Rostov-on-Don."

cannot wait.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:41am
This is very interesting. Cheers for the heads up.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
AlexLoxate View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexLoxate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:03pm
Kazan is turning out to be quite a good place for football. They have a pretty nice stadium and a good team to go along with it. Will be a great venue both for the Student Games and the World Cup.
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 4:07pm
Will many of the current stadiums be renovated?
AlexLoxate View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexLoxate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 6:25pm
That would make sense, but seeing as Russia will probably want to make an impression they're likely to build a few new ones, if not most.
Joe Stalin View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Stalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 10:44pm
Far too much emphasis on the stadium and not enough on the infrastrcture necessary for a big finals as we saw in Ukraine this summer. Lovely stadiums but empty seats at most matches because fans couldn't/wouldn't travel
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 12:43am
While I understand why the final will be at the Luzhniki,I think it's an awful stadium to have it in it's current state.Major games should be kept well away from stadia with running tracks
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 2:48pm
Would love to visit Volgograd, says it's a dump though.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Joe Stalin Joe Stalin wrote:

Far too much emphasis on the stadium and not enough on the infrastrcture necessary for a big finals as we saw in Ukraine this summer. Lovely stadiums but empty seats at most matches because fans couldn't/wouldn't travel

If Joe Senior was still around he wouldn't let any of that sh*t happen...another five year plan and they be sorted LOL

Some great potential host cities...would echo corkery above ... I would love to go to Volgograd. The biggest pain in the hole though would Kalinigrad. The logistics of getting across Belarus or Ukraine for the group games would be a balls plus you would need a double entry visa for Russia. Can't see it making the final list. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 10 Sep 2012 at 5:32pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

While I understand why the final will be at the Luzhniki,I think it's an awful stadium to have it in it's current state.Major games should be kept well away from stadia with running tracks

it's a class stadium, was pleasantly surprised how much you can see despite the track, no worries on atmosphere either, was more than half empty when we played and noise was incredible
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 9:57pm
Didnt see it mentioned anywhere but they were announced the other day. Krasnodar and Yaroslavl dropped.

Wonder will there be a visa waiver like the CL final in 08'.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Didnt see it mentioned anywhere but they were announced the other day. Krasnodar and Yaroslavl dropped.

Kerrzy , if i recall part of the deal when they went for the world cup is that that it would be visa free for everyone Thumbs Up just have to pay €325 to leave the country , nahhhhh only joking i hope .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Kerrzy , if i recall part of the deal when they went for the world cup is that that it would be visa free for everyone Thumbs Up just have to pay €325 to leave the country , nahhhhh only joking i hope .

i think you re right about the visa thing murph, heard that somewhere before. you d imagine russia would offer incentives like that to get the votes
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 1:07am

Russia reveals World Cup venues

September 30, 2012

FIFA have announced the 11 cities which will host matches during the 2018 World Cup.

The tournament wil comprise of 64 matches and will be staged at 12 different stadiums with Moscow being the only city with two venues selected - those of Luzhniki, which hosted the 2008 Champions League final, and Spartak.

Sochi, who will stage the 2014 Winter Olympics, St Petersburg, Kaliningrad, Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, Samara, Saransk, Volgograd, Rostov-on-Don and Ekaterinburg will also host matches. Yaroslavl and Krasnodar missed out on being named host cities after putting in bids.

"The announcement of the host cities is the first concrete step taken in the delivery of the 2018 FIFA World Cup," FIFA president Sepp Blatter said.

"They make a decisive contribution to the success of the most popular sporting event. We look forward to a productive partnership on our road to the first FIFA World Cup in Eastern Europe.

"We are very pleased with the pace of the 2018 LOC (Local Organising Committee) from day one when they were awarded the hosting of the event in December 2010. Their achievements show their enthusiasm and commitment."

Vitaly Mutko, Russian minister of sport and chairman of the Russia 2018 LOC, said: "The final selection of the 2018 FIFA World Cup host cities is an important milestone en route to hosting the tournament in 2018.

"This decision launches the full-scale preparation for the FIFA World Cup in the 11 host cities across the country."

Russia beat England and joint bids from Holland/Belgium and Spain/Portugal in December 2010 for the right to host the World Cup.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 6:51am
Could be some great trian trips on that one if we get there .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 1:37pm
Whatever about their human rights issues this World Cup is shaping up to be a travellers dream (apart from kaliningrad). 
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 1:41pm
Yeah there's an article about it in World Soccer Magazine this month, contrasting the nightmare of 2014 with 2018's 'cluster' set up. The cities in Russia nearest to each other form a cluster basically, sort of like Poznan/Gdansk at Euro 2012 for example. Brazil will be a nightmare for the Germans and the Swedes Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic