Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2018 Group H- POL/SEN/COL/JAP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup 2018 Group H- POL/SEN/COL/JAP
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 2:51pm
With a month to go and squads starting to be announced I thought it would be an idea to start threads for the World Cup. I've put together a guide to all the teams and these threads can then be used to discuss any further developments and of course the games:

Group H

POLAND
SENEGAL
COLOMBIA
JAPAN

Schedule

June 19th 13:00        Colombia v Japan
June 19th 16:00        Poland v Senegal

June 24th 16:00        Japan v Senegal
June 24th 19:00        Poland V Colombia

June 28th 15:00        Senegal v Colombia
June 28th 15:00        Japan v Poland

Poland

FIFA ranking: 10th

Star Player: Robert Lewandowski- The Bayern man is a goal machine simple as he’ll be the man who will look to fire the Poles into the knockout stages

WC History: 3rd place in 74 and 82

Odds: 50-1

Synopsis: Despite only dropping 5 points in qualifying and topping the group they weren’t great at the back conceding 14 goals the most of any team finishing in the top two in a European group. A potential tricky group for the Poles but if Lewandowski is in form then they should have enough at least make it through.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Bartosz Bialkowski (Ipswich), Lukasz Fabianski (Swansea City), Wojciech Szczesny (Juventus)

Defenders: Jan Bednarek (Southampton), Bartosz Bereszynski (Sampdoria), Thiago Cionek (SPAL), Kamil Glik (AS Monaco), Artur Jedrzejczyk (Legia Warszawa), Michal Pazdan (Legia Warszawa), Lukasz Piszczek (Borussia Dortmund)

Midfielders: Jakub Blaszczykowski (VfL Wolfsburg), Jacek Goralski (Ludogorets Razgrad), Kamil Grosicki (Hull City), Grzegorz Krychowiak (West Bromwich Albion), Rafal Kurzawa (Gornik Zabrze), Karol Linetty (Sampdoria), Slawomir Peszko (Lechia Gdansk), Maciej Rybus (Lokomotiv Moscow), Piotr Zielinski (Napoli)

Forwards: Dawid Kownacki (Sampdoria), Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich), Arkadiusz Milik (Napoli), Lukasz Teodorczyk (Anderlecht)

Senegal

FIFA ranking: 28th

Star Player: Sadio Mane- the Liverpool forward is their best attacking threat and will be the man they look to help them repeat their 2002 heroics

WC History: Quarter Finalist 2002

Odds: 200-1

Synopsis: Won their group undefeated an initial loss to South Africa was annulled after the ref was found guilty of match fixing, the match was replayed in November 2017 and a 2-0 win seen them qualify. A hardworking team which have good pace. They will be looking to cause an upset like 2002 and hopefully get out of their group.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Khadim Ndiaye (Horoya AC), Abdoulaye Diallo (Rennes), Alfred Gomis (Torino)

Defenders: Kara Mbodji (Anderlecht), Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli), Moussa Wague (Eupen), Saliou Ciss (Angers), Youssouf Sabaly (Bordeaux), Lamine Gassama (Alanyaspor), Armand Traore (Nottingham Forest), Salif Sane (Hannover 96)

Midfielders: Pape Alioune Ndiaye (Stoke), Idrissa Gueye (Everton), Cheikhou Kouyate (West Ham), Cheikh N'Doye (Birmingham)

Forwards: Sadio Mane (Liverpool), Diao Balde Keita (Monaco), Ismaila Sarr (Rennes), Diafra Sakho (Rennes), Moussa Konate (Amiens), Mame Biram Diouf (Stoke), Mbaye Niang (AC Milan).

Colombia

FIFA ranking: 16th

Star Player: James Rodriquez- the star of 2014 WC for them will also be key for them here. Radamel Falcao will also be looking to put the 2014 injury hit campaign behind him and will be their biggest goal threat.

WC History: 2014 Quarter finalists

Odds: 33-1

Synopsis: Crept over the line to qualify in the end but they are here and that is all that matters. With the talent they have in their team they will be looking to top the group and will be hopeful of at least repeating their 2014 QF place.

Squad: 

Goalkeepers: David Ospina (Arsenal), Camilo Vargas (Deportivo Cali), José Fernando Cuadrado (Once Caldas).

Defenders: Cristian Zapata (Milan), Dávinson Sánchez (Tottenham), Santiago Arias (PSV Eindhoven), Óscar Murillo (Pachuca), Frank Fabra (Boca Juniors), Johan Mojica (Girona), Yerry Mina (Barcelona).

Midfielders: Wílmar Barrios (Boca Juniors), Carlos Sánchez (Espanyol), Jefferson Lerma (Levante), José Izquierdo (Brighton Hove & Albion), James Rodríguez (Bayern Múnich), Abel Aguilar (Deportivo Cali), Mateus Uribe (América), Juan Fernando Quintero (River Plate), Juan Guillermo Cuadrado (Juventus).

Forwards: Radamel Falcao (Mónaco), Miguel Borja (Palmeiras), Carlos Bacca (Villarreal), Luis Fernando Muriel (Sevilla).

Japan

FIFA ranking: 60th

Star Player: Keisude Honda alongside Shinji Kagawa are their best creative players and they will be key to their hopes.

WC History: two round of 16 places in 2002 and 2010

Odds: 250-1

Synopsis: Done enough to qualify and were commanding enough in the games that mattered but dropping points to UAE and Iraq were blotches on the copybook. A tough group for them they will looking to at least finish 2nd and repeat their Last 16 places of 2002 and 2010.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Eiji Kawashima (Metz), Masaaki Higashiguchi (Gamba Osaka), Kosuke Nakamura (Kashiwa Reysol)

Defenders: Yuto Nagatomo (Galatasaray), Tomoaki Makino (Urawa Reds), Wataru Endo (Urawa Reds), Maya Yoshida (Southampton), Hiroki Sakai (Marseille), Gotoku Sakai (Hamburg), Gen Shoji (Kashima Antlers), Naomichi Ueda (Kashima Antlers)

Midfielders: Makoto Hasebe (Eintracht Frankfurt), Keisuke Honda (Pachuca), Takashi Inui (Eibar), Shinji Kagawa (Borussia Dortmund), Hotaru Yamaguchi (Cerezo Osaka), Genki Haraguchi (Fortuna Dusseldorf), Takashi Usami (Fortuna Dusseldorf), Gaku Shibasaki (Getafe), Ryota Oshima (Kawasaki Frontale)

Forwards: Shinji Okazaki (Leicester), Yuya Osako (Werder Bremen), Yoshinori Muto (Mainz)

Edited by lassassinblanc - 04 Jun 2018 at 6:57pm
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:26pm
Busy day in work?
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:55pm
Very LOL
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:24pm
Colombia Preliminary Squad updated
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 9:28am
Senegal final 23 named
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 1:02pm
Japan Squad updated
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 7:33pm
All final World Cup Squads updated
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:13pm
I reckon Colombia beat Japan 2-0 and Poland and Senegal draw 1-1

There is a Colombian guy at work over at this. He was so excited to be going over to see his team play at the World Cup. 
That’s all he talked about for the last month.
I was jealous as f*** but it was great to see his excitement. He doesn’t drink but will be going wild at the match.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 12:19pm
James Rodriguez will be a miss for Colombia though not sure if he’s fit enough to come off the bench.

Seen a good bit of Inui play this season in La Liga, always looked a threat! should be a good game.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:00pm
If France or Germany have the best national anthem, Japan definitely have the most depressing
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:04pm
Shocked
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:05pm
Has penalty and red card not been changed in international football?
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Handball denying a goal is always a red.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Handball denying a goal is always a red.
Although, to be fair to him, he made a really genuine effort to play the ball there.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

If France or Germany have the best national anthem, Japan definitely have the most depressing

It sounds like a crap attempt to copy "I vow to thee my country".
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

It sounds like a crap attempt to copy "I vow to thee my country".
I'm pretty sure the Japanese anthem is older than the other dirge.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:19pm
1880 for Japan as opposed to 1921 for Holst's (1914 for Jupiter, which it comes from).

Huh. Good spot.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 19 Jun 2018 at 1:24pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:20pm
I actually assumed it was even older, the lyrics to the Japanese anthem are the oldest in the world, so I assumed the lyrics would have been even earlier.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic