You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2018 Group G BEL/PAN/TUN/ENG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:48pm
Belgium v England should be a good game, might not matter finishing 1st or 2nd either. Two teams to to just go for it would be great  
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

These clowns might just be the worst team to ever appear in the world cup finals and that includes those lads in the 70's who didn't seem to understand the rules.
If you’re referring to Zaire in 1974, you should read up on why they did what they did. Obviously they knew the rules. 

Very interesting read.The way they were treated was a disgrace. No surprise Zaire/ DR Congo never qualified again.It just seems to have gone into world cup folklore that he didn't understand the rules? He died in 2015, aged just 65.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Belgium v England should be a good game, might not matter finishing 1st or 2nd either. Two teams to to just go for it would be great  

Should be the worst game in World Cup history more like.

Because of how results have gone in the other groups it’s potentially more beneficial for either side to finish 2nd.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:55pm

I think it would require strategising as to how the QF's would pan out. Given what we have seen so far, there would be no reason to fear anybody in Group H.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Because of how results have gone in the other groups it’s potentially more beneficial for either side to finish 2nd.

Would the winners likely play Brazil? (Assuming they top their group and win the 2nd round?)

Belgium have said they will rotate the squad.
I think it makes sense for England to do the same.
Not mass changes, just 2/3 changes in the MF, wing backs etc.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 24 Jun 2018 at 3:02pm

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Would the winners likely play Brazil? (Assuming they top their group and win the 2nd round?)

Belgium have said they will rotate the squad.
I think it makes sense for England to do the same.
Not mass changes, just 2/3 changes in the MF, wing backs etc.

Yes. Whoever finishes top will, as it stands, play the winners of Brazil vs Germany where as 2nd will play the winners of Mexico vs Switzerland

I'd be scoring as many own goals as I possibly could rather than trying to play nice football LOL 
You could argue England's decision to score 6 today is a bad one as Belgium only need a draw now.

The fact the other group games are played before England v Belgium is massive also as they'll be aware of the permutations on match day.

Edited by coyne - 24 Jun 2018 at 3:42pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 4:25pm
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 4:51pm
Obviously Brazil and Germany would win but Mexico and Switzerland will beat England as well. The hype train is unreal and pathetic. All because they bet two really bad teams, one unconvincingly at that.
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Bo Jackson Bo Jackson wrote:

Obviously Brazil and Germany would win but Mexico and Switzerland will beat England as well. The hype train is unreal and pathetic. All because they bet two really bad teams, one unconvincingly at that.
What odds did they get?
deiseblue View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deiseblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:27pm

Horrifyingly I think you are wrong.
England look vibrant , move the ball well & have a World Class player in Kane & I think would account for either Mexico or Switzerland and would have no fears of Brazil or Germany who indeed seemed over hyped.
I think that they played well against Tunisia but were let down by appalling finishing & a refusal by the ref to award a couple of blatant penalties.
I think the best hope of seeing them beaten is their rather ponderous defense but equally these defenders are a huge threat from set pieces.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by deiseblue deiseblue wrote:

England look vibrant , move the ball well & have a World Class player in Kane & I think would account for either Mexico or Switzerland and would have no fears of Brazil or Germany who indeed seemed over hyped.
I think that they played well against Tunisia but were let down by appalling finishing & a refusal by the ref to award a couple of blatant penalties.
I think the best hope of seeing them beaten is their rather ponderous defense but equally these defenders are a huge threat from set pieces.

Totally agree.

I’ve been really impressed by Southgate and at the time I thought he was a terrible appointment.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:55pm

Totally agree.

I’ve been really impressed by Southgate and at the time I thought he was a terrible appointment.

Southgate has done very well, I think he knows from his time with England as a player how a squad should be at a tournament. 

I think he took a lot from 96 and venebles in regards to tactics and squad dynamics

He deserves credit for that
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:58pm
Southgate has been pretty dreadful up til now. If there's 1 thing he's got right however he's completely shifted the mentality away from the Capello/Hodgson days.

There's still alot of indecisiveness when things aren't going to plan, it showed against Tunisia - The midfield still looked clueless, out of ideas and ineffective.

His system is very unheard of also which keeps the opposition second guessing, the closest someone's ever gotten to a 3-6-1 is Spain but they used it with a false 9 whereas England use their man upfront as as an actual Striker.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Totally agree.

Southgate has done very well, I think he knows from his time with England as a player how a squad should be at a tournament. 

I think he took a lot from 96 and venebles in regards to tactics and squad dynamics

He deserves credit for that

Yeah it was telling that he brought on Vardy, Rose and Delph today. Last time it was Rashford and Loftus-Cheek.
That’s good squad management.

I’m still not convinced how good defensively they are but are trying to go forward and create chances.

So far Southgate has got everything right. Smooth qualification and now into the 2nd round after 2 games.

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 9:46pm
England's 4 goal today, well executed training ground routine. But, should they have used it and showed their hand to future opponents when there was no need. A routine like that could make all the difference in a tight game later on the competition. I'd imagine a more experienced team would have kept it under wraps.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 9:55pm
After tonight I think they will need to do all they can to avoid Colombia.

I expect Colombia will have enough to beat Senegal, which will either set up a fixture for the top team against Japan or Senegal, and on today's performances, the chance to play the Runner Up from H should be desired.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

After tonight I think they will need to do all they can to avoid Colombia.

I expect Colombia will have enough to beat Senegal, which will either set up a fixture for the top team against Japan or Senegal, and on today's performances, the chance to play the Runner Up from H should be desired.

You do realise Japan is ahead of Colombia on points right?
If anything Colombia's performance today has made finishing 2nd in this group even more appealing than before.

Finish 1st you either play Senegal or Colombia then Germany or Brazil
Finish 2nd you play Japan (as it stands) then Mexico or Switzerland.

I wonder which ones the easier route. 

Edited by coyne - 24 Jun 2018 at 10:03pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:29pm

You do realise Japan is ahead of Colombia on points right?
If anything Colombia's performance today has made finishing 2nd in this group even more appealing than before.

Finish 1st you either play Senegal or Colombia then Germany or Brazil
Finish 2nd you play Japan (as it stands) then Mexico or Switzerland.

I wonder which ones the easier route. 

Thats a fair point. But I think the assumption has to be that Japan may have enough to beat Poland. Playing for second may be a mistake, on the assumption that this Polish team will have anything in their locker. They have been the biggest failure in this tournament of any team that might have believed in their ability to reach the last 8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>
  Share Topic