Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2018 Group F- GER/MEX/SWE/KOR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup 2018 Group F- GER/MEX/SWE/KOR
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 2:48pm

With a month to go and squads starting to be announced I thought it would be an idea to start threads for the World Cup. I've put together a guide to all the teams and these threads can then be used to discuss any further developments and of course the games:

Group F

GERMANY
MEXICO
SWEDEN
KOREA REPUBLIC

Schedule
June 17th 16:00        Germany v Mexico
June 18th 13:00        Sweden v Korea Rep

June 23rd 16:00        Korea Rep v Mexico
June 23rd 19:00        Germany v Sweden

June 27th 15:00        Korea Rep v Germany
June 27th 15:00        Mexico v Sweden

Team Overviews

Germany

FIFA ranking: 1st

Star Player: Take your pick the team consists of World Class operators all over the field. If I had to pick one I’d go for the World Cup loving goal scorer Thomas Muller at 20-1 he is worth at the least punt.

WC History: 4 times champions 54, 74, 90 (as West Germany) and the previous WC 2014. They are a team who know what to do in tournament football, finishing runners up and 3rd place up 4 times.

Odds: 9/2

Synopsis: Compiling the best-ever World Cup qualifying campaign by a European team, Germany were absolutely ruthless, winning all 10 of their games and ending up with a gargantuan goal-difference of +39. Coach Joachim Low would have been especially pleased with the way his team shared the goals out, with no fewer than 21 players on the scoresheet. Anything other than the Final and champions would be seen as a disappointment for the Germans and they are well capable they’ll be the team to beat. Joint favourites with Brazil.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona), Kevin Trapp (Paris Saint-Germain)

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Matthias Ginter (Borussia Monchengladbach), Jonas Hector (FC Cologne), Mats Hummels (Bayern Munich), Joshua Kimmich (Bayern Munich), Marvin Plattenhardt (Hertha Berlin), Antonio Rudiger (Chelsea), Niklas Sule (Bayern Munich)

Midfielders: Julian Brandt (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Paris Saint-Germain), Leon Goretzka (Schalke 04), Ilkay Gundogan (Manchester City), Sami Khedira (Juventus), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Sebastian Rudy (Bayern Munich)

Forwards: Mario Gomez (VfB Stuttgart), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)

Mexico

FIFA ranking: 15th

Star Player: I think it would be a cop out to say Javier Hernandez so I won’t I’m going to go for the young winger Hirving Lozano moved to PSV in the summer and had a fine season as PSV won the Eredivisie will be watched by several scouts during this tournament.

WC History: Quarter finals in the top tournaments they hosted is the furthest they have been have reached last 16 in each of their last 6 appearances and will be looking to at least match that this year.

Odds: 100-1

Synopsis: topped the CONCACAF qualifying table with ease. As pointed out they will look to qualify from their group and have a decent strike force to hopefully fulfill this though a last 16 tie with Brazil most likely awaits them.

Squad: 

Goalkeepers: Guillermo Ochoa (Standard Liege), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca), Jesus Corona (Cruz Azul)

Defenders: Diego Reyes (Porto), Carlos Salcedo (Eintracht Frankfurt), Hector Moreno (Real Sociedad), Miguel Layun (Sevilla), Jesus Gallardo (Pumas), Hugo Ayala (Tigres UANL), Edson Alvarez (Club America)

Midfielders: Hector Herrera (Porto), Andres Guardado (Real Betis), Rafa Marquez (Atlas), Jonathan dos Santos (LA Galaxy), Marco Fabian (Eintracht Frankfurt), Giovani dos Santos (LA Galaxy)

Forwards: Javier Aquino (Tigres UANL), Jesus Corona (Porto), Raul Jimenez (Benfica), Oribe Peralta (Club America), Javier Hernandez (West Ham United), Carlos Vela (LAFC), Hirving Lozano (PSV Eindhoven)

Sweden

FIFA ranking: 23rd

Star Player: Emil Forsberg- with the retirement of Zlatan the RB Leipzig winger became the main attacking and creative force for the Swedes

WC History: runners up as hosts in 1958

Odds: 150-1

Synopsis: Amid all the euphoria of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup due to their remarkable play-off victory over Italy, it should not be forgotten how impressive Sweden were in the group phase, pipping Holland to the runners-up spot, beating France in Solna and being undefeated at home. Under Coach Janne Andersson, they are first and foremost a highly effective defensive unit. The proof? Their seven clean sheets. They will be looking to at least finish 2nd in this group and I believe it will be a tight battle between themselves and Mexico for it.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Robin Olsen (Copenhagen), Karl-Johan Johnsson (Guingamp), Kristoffer Nordfeldt (Swansea)

Defenders: Mikael Lustig (Celtic), Victor Lindelof (Manchester United), Andreas Granqvist (Krasnador), Martin Olsson (Swansea), Ludwig Augustinsson (Werder Bremen), Filip Helander, Emil Krafth (both Bologna), Pontus Jansson (Leeds United)

Midfielders: Sebastian Larsson (Hull), Albin Ekdal (Hamburg), Emil Forsberg (RB Leipzig), Gustav Svensson (Seattle Sounders), Oscar Hiljemark (Genoa), Viktor Claesson (Krasnador), Marcus Rohden (Crotone), Jimmy Durmaz (Toulouse)

Forwards: Marcus Berg (Al Ain), John Guidetti (Alaves), Ola Toivonen (Toulouse), Isaac Kiese Thelin (Waasland-Beveren)

Korea Republic

FIFA ranking: 61st             

Star Player: Son Heung-min, the Spurs man is teams attacking focal point and will be key should the Koreans upset the odds to progress.

WC History: 4th place in 2002 as hosts

Odds: 500-1

Synopsis: Korea  Rep. qualified for the 2018 World Cup, but that is about the only positive thing that can be said about the final round of the campaign. In their 10 games they won just four and picked up a single point in five games on the road. That they qualified says as much about the failings of others as it does about Korea.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Kim Seung-gyu (Vissel Kobe), Kim Jin-hyeon (Cerezo Osaka), Cho Hyun-woo (Daegu FC)

Defenders: Kim young-gwon (Guangzhou Evergrande), Jang Hyun-soo (FC Tokyo), Jung Seung-hyun (Sagan Tosu), Yun Yong-sun (Seongnam FC), Oh Ban-suk (Jeju United), Kim Min-woo (Sangju Sangmu), Park Joo-ho (Ulsan Hyundai), Hong Chul (Sangju Sangmu), Go Yo-han (FC Seoul), Lee Yong (Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors)

Midfielders: Ki Sung-yueng (Swansea City), Jung Woo-young (Vissel Kobe), Ju Se-jong (Asan Mugunghwa FC), Koo Ja-cheol (FC Augsburg), Lee Jae-sung (Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors), Lee Seung-woo (Hellas Verona), Moon Seon-min (Incheon United)

Forwards: Kim Shin-wook (Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors), Son Heung-min (Tottenham Hotspur), Hwang Hee-chan (FC Red Bull Salzburg)

Edited by lassassinblanc - 04 Jun 2018 at 7:07pm
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:53pm
Mexico squad updated
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:06pm
Germany squad updated
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:19pm
Good man Lassie I'll have a read through your threads Thumbs Up
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 8:06am
Sweden Squad updated
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:15am
This seems to be the tightest of the groups so it must be the group of death! There has to be one.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:22am
Really? The Germans will stroll it, South Korea are pretty average, meaning a straight battle between Sweden and Mexico for second.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:28pm
Germans will romp this group you would think. Can see them scoring goals galore as well. Argentina group, on paper at least, looks by far the toughest.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:34pm
I think that German forward line will struggle to score.
Also if Boateng misses out then the central defence will be weakened a lot.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by BohsinMunich BohsinMunich wrote:

A lot will come down to who starts at 9. Are the Germans expecting Gomez to start some games? That would an awful decision imo. If Werner plays at 9, with some of the other wide attacking players they have and Ozil as playmaker, they could do serious damage to some teams I would think.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

A lot will come down to who starts at 9. Are the Germans expecting Gomez to start some games? That would an awful decision imo. If Werner plays at 9, with some of the other wide attacking players they have and Ozil as playmaker, they could do serious damage to some teams I would think.

Very surprised to see Gomez in the squad tbh he did score 8 in 16 for Stuttgart after he went back to them in Jan so he does come in with a bit of form.

Petersen was the top scoring German in the Bundesliga with 15 and was very good in Olympics two years ago actually surprised he wasn't given his chance sooner

, I'd expect Werner to be the starting number 9 for them though
Reus, Ozil and Muller behind him, then you have Draxler, Sane or Brandt who could step in for them
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:16pm
Would Muller be a good bet for the Golden Boot  ? 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Would Muller be a good bet for the Golden Boot  ? 

@ 25-1 with PP and his usual love of the World Cup he'd be worth at least an each way bet
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 1:53pm
I don't think Müller has scored as many as in previous years (he made Team of the Year)  though I may be wrong. 25s is a good price but I don't think you will be collecting.

Werner had a poor enough 2nd half of the season though he managed to score in his last 2 matches

Gomez is the "new" Klose - scored his goals against the likes of Köln, Freiburg

Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 2:43pm

I don't think Müller has scored as many as in previous years (he made Team of the Year)  though I may be wrong. 25s is a good price but I don't think you will be collecting.

Werner had a poor enough 2nd half of the season though he managed to score in his last 2 matches

Gomez is the "new" Klose - scored his goals against the likes of Köln, Freiburg

Thomas Mueller - Bundesliga

29 games - 8 goals - 16 assists.

Agree with you on Mario Gomez, will play the same role as Klose did at WM 2014.

Edited by Mulvanystrasse - 23 May 2018 at 2:43pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 12:46pm
Germany have not won any of their last 5 games.
Lost to Austria and Brazil. Drew with France, England and Spain.

Tough opponents but not ideal prep for one of the favs.
They are playing their usual whipping boys next week before the tournament starts. Expect Saudia Arabia to get trashed by a few goals next week.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 2:28pm
I'm not sure how losing 5 in a row when 4/5 of them are against the world's biggest sides is relevant.

Sweden are about as average as you can get
Mexico a bit of a mixed bag
and Korea are 500/1 to win for a reason, they got pushed all the way by a Syrian side who don't have a football pitch to play on in their own country, that's how woeful Korea were in qualifying. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 5:02pm
I don't think anyone has any fears for Germany in the group, it is later on in the tournament that these results throw up a little bit of doubt about.
In saying that, I still think that whoever beats them will win it. They have a settled management structure and are not reliant on any player, or players, in the way nearly all the other contenders are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic