Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2018 Group E- BRA/SWI/CRI/SER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

if James McCarthy scored for us and did a bagpipe celebration I wouldn’t expect FIFA to charge him 

That would be hilarious not to mention totally bamboozle the Scots LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:55am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

"Following Switzerland's first game at Euro 2016, Shaqiri declared he would switch allegiance to Kosovo if their manager would make him captain, in reaction to Swiss manager Vladimir Petković's decision to omit him from that position. Although already an international for the Swiss, FIFA rules would permit Shaqiri to represent Kosovo, who joined the federation earlier that year."

It was Albania I was referring to. Surely he wouldn't be allowed to represent them? I can understand how he'd be permitted to play for Kosovo as they're a new member. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:05am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

If himself and Xhaka are that proud of their roots could they not both have played for Albania or do they want the best of both worlds because they made the rational decision to represent Switzerland who have a proven record of qualification for major tournaments? 

I was going to reply with a rational response then I realised you’re an idiot mate.

Brendan mo chara have I done something to offend you in a previous life 'mate'? You seem to be having a pop the last while towards little old me Smile

Of course not I just find some of your posts tedious, if you can’t understand how a person could be proud of their roots I see no point in debating further.

Regarding the tediousness I cause, you'll just have to suck it up baby. 

You also misunderstood my post. I was questioning why they'd play for another national team if they felt as strongly as they seemed to do towards their Albanian roots at the final whistle. 

You do realise you can have a personal connection to more than one country? 

Of course but if Shaqiri is going to go out of his way to celebrate a goal for a country he could've played for, well then as an Albanian supporter, I would've preferred if he played for Albania rather than resorting to an empty gesture to wind up the Serbs. 

Imagine Grealish scoring for England and dedicating it to Ireland or referencing something Irish in his celebration. He'd be told where to go. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 9:50am
This is slightly different to the likes of McCarthy and Grealish. Grealish descended from Irish stock, and had that inculcated into him through his links to the GAA, a catholic education etc. However, he was born in Birmingham.

The geo-political landscape in the region Shaquiri was born was riven with uncertainty and political unrest. He left in 1992 during the first Balkan war, and of course in the late 1990s the Kosovon region and people were the victims of some of the most egregious political crimes in the last 20 years. The treatment of Kosovo by Serbia in the late 1990s was utterly savage, and it is unsurprising that it has left its mark with Shaquiri who was the child of that era.

I agree with keeping politics and football separate as it is one of the levellers between enemies. I can think of various examples of football transcending conflict, or going on in spite of conflict. 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Xhaka was born in Switzerland therefore can't play for Albania (he's of Albanian Kosovan extraction not Albanian) nor Kosovo (as per FIFA rules) ye smart arses... Shaqiri might still switch to Kosovo (as he was born there) although his ego is so f**king inflated who knows. For balance the Swiss flag is stitched onto the other boot.

Bit strange how his brother plays for Albania isn't it.....Confused

He had the option to play for Albania but turned it down, Taulant used to play underage for Switzerland but switched.

Also, Shaqiri can't switch and play with Kosovo because he was also given the option when they got UEFA approval, as soon as a nation gets approval and a player who has dual nationality plays for whatever country in a competitive game he can't switch or switch back.

Had Shaqiri said back in September 2016 I no longer want to play for Switzerland but Kosovo, his caps for Switzerland become void and he would have been free to play with Kosovo, but he didn't and in turn played in numerous competitive internationals since so the door was closed.

A player who only appeared in friendlies for another nation or who hasn't played in a competitive international since Kosovo got accepted by UEFA and now FIFA can still switch to them.

Did you miss the FIFA rules bit regarding Granit Xhaka? He even went to the trouble of releasing an open letter explaining that because he has played at a major tournament with Switzerland he isn't eligible to play for Kosovo. His brother never played for the Swiss senior team therefore was eligible to switch to any other nation (except Kosovo as they were not recognised by FIFA at the time) that met FIFA's criteria therefore he chose Albania. Since he too played at Euro 2016 he is no longer eligible to switch from Albania to Kosovo (if he was so inclined to do so).

Afaik Shaqiri is in the same boat as Granit i.e. having played at Euro 2016 he was/is not eligible for the switch.

This was a rule neither the players nor Kosovan FA seemed aware of. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 24 Jun 2018 at 10:04am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 10:06am
So it had absolutely nothing to do with him being born in Switzerland?
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 6:14pm
Xhaka and Shaquiri have avoided bans but both fined 10000 Swiss Francs 

Lichtsteiner also fined 5000 for making celebration too
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 6:55pm
What is Serb keeper wearing
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 7:01pm
So Brazil could potentially go out too if they lose this?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

So Brazil could potentially go out too if they lose this?

Yep barring a Costa Rica win over Switzerland 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 8:37pm
Serbs have lost all belief after Silva goal
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 9:00pm
Brazil were impressive bar a shaky 10 minute spell in the second half! Neymar getting fitter every minute he plays and looked much better in the second half, Coutinho one of the stand out performers at this years World Cup too! Really like Felipe Luis at left back and wouldn’t be too concerned if Marcelo was injured for the rest of the tournament.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 27 Jun 2018 at 9:00pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 9:18pm
So many teams have looked special after the group stages and never went on to win it, Argentina in '06 being one that stands out. Often the team that wins it improve as the tournament goes on and I feel that is what Brazil are doing here. Neymar is starting to look close to his best, Coutinho and a few other important players are probably at it. 
There are also few teams that I think would really worry them until the semis. It all seems to be opening up for them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic