Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2018 Group E- BRA/SWI/CRI/SER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Brazil and Germany both look ordinary on the same day.The 5/1 odds on Spain suddenly looks generous.

None of the favourites have impressed at all so far. Even peripheral dark horses like Uruguay have looked ordinary. Spain were defensively very suspect last Friday. France were anything but convincing in beating a poor Australian team. Germany were bad today, and Brazil have just not done well today.
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 8:46pm
Whoever wins this tournament won't go down as one of the great winners of it IMO
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 8:55pm
Spain draw, Argentina draw, Germany lose, Brazil draw, France win but unconvincing...just wait for the hullabaloo if England beat Tunisia
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 8:56pm
Fantasic performance from Switzerland, Brazil thought they only needed to show up.

The Serbs will make things hard for Brazil too and will physically bully them, wouldn’t be surprised to see another draw there. 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 8:58pm
Ripping with that. 

Cannot bear Switzerland and that horrible cxxt Lichsteiner Angry
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Fantasic performance from Switzerland, Brazil thought they only needed to show up.

The Serbs will make things hard for Brazil too and will physically bully them, wouldn’t be surprised to see another draw there. 

Brazil play Costa Rica next so assuming they win that they may be in a better position with the other result going their way before they meet the Serbs.

Costa Rica are definitely screwed after that result LOL
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:10pm
Neymar is some little prick. State of that barnet as well
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Spain draw, Argentina draw, Germany lose, Brazil draw, France win but unconvincing...just wait for the hullabaloo if England beat Tunisia

Confused

What is your obsession with England?

You were the very one who claimed the English media were talking them up as potential champions, along with their fans etc when it couldn't have been further from the truth.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:17pm
Anyone who watched that game tonight could see Brazil were undone by two very poor decisions.

Noway should Zubar's goal have been allowed to stand and that was a foul on Jesus all day long.

Granted, what will frustrate Tite most is the fact Brazil went asleep for the last 20 minutes of the first half and were slow to start in the second half.

Still when Paulinho and Jesus went off they looked far more lively, big improvement needed but they won't panic and should still win the group.

Edited by Green Devil - 17 Jun 2018 at 9:17pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Anyone who watched that game tonight could see Brazil were undone by two very poor decisions.

Noway should Zubar's goal have been allowed to stand and that was a foul on Jesus all day long.

Granted, what will frustrate Tite most is the fact Brazil went asleep for the last 20 minutes of the first half and were slow to start in the second half.

Still when Paulinho and Jesus went off they looked far more lively, big improvement needed but they won't panic and should still win the group.

Wouldn't bank on them winning the group tbh. If Serbia beat the Swiss, I wouldn't be 100% confident Brazil would beat them to get 1st. 
alihau41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alihau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:28pm

No way should jesus have had a peno for that. Flung himself in a way that no tackle would have ever done
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by alihau41 alihau41 wrote:

No way should jesus have had a peno for that. Flung himself in a way that no tackle would have ever done

It doesn't matter what way he flung himself though, the Swiss defender had his two arms around him which is a foul.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Wouldn't bank on them winning the group tbh. If Serbia beat the Swiss, I wouldn't be 100% confident Brazil would beat them to get 1st. 

Serbia aren't as good defensively as the Swiss, who are probably one of the best organized sides in international football.

I think Brazil will beat Serbia comfortably enough tbh.

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Whoever wins this tournament won't go down as one of the great winners of it IMO

Can see England go deep into the tournament 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 11:10pm
Brazil were chiselled a bit with the two decisions, but it was a very unimpressive performance by them - there was little urgency from them, they were disjointed and they were outnumbered in midfield. They didn't have many ideas about to break the Swiss down.

The Swiss are usually dreadful to watch, but they played really well in the second half - they had a real go and looked dangerous on the break, particularly down the right flank where Marcelo never bothered his arse to get back. 

Brazil very much had a look of a collection of individuals about them rather than a team, which Tite by accounts had fixed during qualification. 

They'll need a significant improvement from that to challenge. Firmino and Fernandinho should come in for Jesus and Paulinho. It's hard to shake the feeling that Neymar is a bit of a toxic influence in a dressing room. He wasn't at the races tonight and shirked out of challenges a good few times.

I certainly wouldn't be putting the house on them to beat Germany should they have to meet in the last 16. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Can see England go deep into the tournament 
There's a real chance that all the big favourites could end up on one side of the draw. 

Winning Group F is now out of Germany's hands. 

Spain are in a goal race with Portugal in Group B. 

Argentina could be lucky to even get second in Group D. 

There's a real chance the bottom half of the draw could end up something like:

Portugal v Russia
Croatia v Denmark
-----
Mexico v Switzerland
Colombia v England

Whereas the top half could be:
Uruguay v Spain
France v Argentina
-----
Brazil v Germany
Belgium v Senegal

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Jun 2018 at 11:17pm
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 11:22pm
Who wins the group in that scenario?Belgium or England?
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:37am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Who wins the group in that scenario?Belgium or England?

For the above scenario I've gone with Belgium winning England's group. 

At the moment it looks like second place is where you want to finish in that group as it will line that team up with Mexico/Serbia/Switzerland in the quarter-finals, presuming Mexico can follow through and win Group F, and Brazil still win Group E. 

As regards England's last 16 opponents, Group H is really tricky one to predict, but there's nothing particularly fearsome looking in it.

Edited by sid waddell - 18 Jun 2018 at 12:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic