Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup 2018 Group B- POR/ESP/MOR/IRAN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:28am
I'm not that convinced by either Spain or Portugal's squads. Portugal's defence looks very old. I think Morocco could well nip in here and eliminate one of them - probably Portugal, who are serial underperformers in World Cups.

Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:29am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

I'm not that convinced by either Spain or Portugal's squads. Portugal's defence looks very old. I think Morocco could well nip in here and eliminate one of them - probably Portugal, who are serial underperformers in World Cups.

Spains squad is outstanding.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:45am

Care to elaborate about Spain's squad?
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:50am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

It was outstanding on paper in 2014 and 2016 too and they did nothing. 

To me it doesn't look to have the calibre of leadership that the 2008-2012 squads had and I'm not sure they have have the right balance. 

I think they might make a quarter-final, but I wouldn't be backing them to go any further. 

Should Russia get out of their group they could trouble them in the last 16 and I'd expect Uruguay to outfight them if they're paired with them at that stage.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 12:54am
Bruno Alves in the Portuguese squad at the rope old age of 53 Smilethey must be really stuck for players if he can make the cut. He was awful for the New Huns anytime i seen him the season gone.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 1:14am

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

It was outstanding on paper in 2014 and 2016 too and they did nothing. 

To me it doesn't look to have the calibre of leadership that the 2008-2012 squads had and I'm not sure they have have the right balance. 

I think they might make a quarter-final, but I wouldn't be backing them to go any further. 

Should Russia get out of their group they could trouble them in the last 16 and I'd expect Uruguay to outfight them if they're paired with them at that stage.

In both of those tournaments there was too many of the older generation in the squads. Now, Lopetegui has brought in some of the players he had through the youth teams, like Azpilicueta, Isco, Rodrigo, Asensio etc.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 6:37am
Agree about Portugal squad the defence is old and lacks pace but they do play very deep and will depend on a team collective and will look to catch teams on the counter similar to how they played at the Euros.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 7:49pm
Spain currently playing Tunisia live on the freeview channel 422 on sky.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2018 at 5:10pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 10:35am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/world-cup-2018-football-the-constant-of-iran-s-revolution-years-1.3522780?mode=amp

Very Western-influenced Keith Duggan is a terrible journalist and sports journalist. Cold Wars (Economic theory and Religion)language appear in his articles. Gaps of information, gaps of timelines appear in his articles.

Proper names of sports teams could of been mentioned, while fixating on one football match mentioning any of the scorers would given some context. IRI with USA was the 2nd game of group mentioning other group teams would give match sporting context. IRI played a WC match after their qualifier against AUS. It is an article on a sports page.

1991 USA v Islamic Republic of Iran was one of the football games at World Student Games/XVI Universiade held at venues around Sheffield. Cobi Jones played in that match too, but this is a football statistic and a relevant sporting connection to the IRI/USA WC game 1998, it's not likely to be on Duggan's radar.
This was the same Tournament where Democratic People's Republic of Korea played Republic of Korea in the quarters. Normal and ordinary behaviour as sports teams share the same space.

"How they looked, how they were dressed and what they ate." It's not as important as Keith Duggan believes it is.

I blame the Irish Times's Sports Editor.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 10:45am
He also states that the ginger icon of US '94 Alexi Lalas was a striker. Unforgivable.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:24am
👀

Seems quite possible that Rubiales / Lopetegui press conference in about an hour will be to announce Spain will have a different coach on bench v Portugal on Friday. Hierro and Celades candidates to step in

Would be some story if Spain win it now LOL

Edited by Denis Irwin - 13 Jun 2018 at 9:28am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:39am
that would be madness and not great prep for a World Cup you'd have to think
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:40am
Don't blame them in away. ****ish thing that was done yesterday. Hierro hopping mad about it supposedly which suggests they weren't in the loop 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Don't blame them in away. ****ish thing that was done yesterday. Hierro hopping mad about it supposedly which suggests they weren't in the loop 

I've heard that it was only announced as some of the Real players knew and had let slip and it caused slight issue in the camp
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:20am
I know someone who loves a short-term role as Manager who would be suitable.

El Grande Sam Allerdyco.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:45am
Seems the players have stepped in. Iniesta and Ramos are going to be at the conference (once it actually goes ahead)
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:56am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I know someone who loves a short-term role as Manager who would be suitable.

El Grande Sam Allerdyco.

Gary Lineker (™)(®)© 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic