Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Womens World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:26am
on a side note the one beside gabby Logan was quite pleasant on the eye

(It was a defo penalty) 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:52am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Also, the whinging about the drinking tea celebration from some of the pundits was embarrassingly pathetic.
LOLIt’s ridiculous alright
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 9:36am

Also, the whinging about the drinking tea celebration from some of the pundits was embarrassingly pathetic.

Ha what exactly was their problem with it? Saw it as a slight on the glorious Lionesses, was it? I actually thought she was pretending to smoke a reefer for a second...maybe that's the plan if she scores against the Dutch in the final!

As for the penalty, I'm surprised people are so vehement in their views about it - I watched it the 100 odd times it was shown and still couldn't be 100% sure either way. Definitely didn't fancy being in the ref's shoes for that wan. In the end I thought it probably was the right call - penalty and a yellow. Because of the almost synchronised movement of their legs it was very hard to see the actual contact, but there probably was just enough to knock an off balance player off the ball. In fact it was almost Ramos-esque in it's execution. Also the US player didn't seem to have any real issue with it being given which was also pretty telling.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:14am
You should go to specsavers Dev. 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:19am

LOL

It was great. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Ha what exactly was their problem with it? Saw it as a slight on the glorious Lionesses, was it? I actually thought she was pretending to smoke a reefer for a second...maybe that's the plan if she scores against the Dutch in the final!

As for the penalty, I'm surprised people are so vehement in their views about it - I watched it the 100 odd times it was shown and still couldn't be 100% sure either way. Definitely didn't fancy being in the ref's shoes for that wan. In the end I thought it probably was the right call - penalty and a yellow. Because of the almost synchronised movement of their legs it was very hard to see the actual contact, but there probably was just enough to knock an off balance player off the ball. In fact it was almost Ramos-esque in it's execution. Also the US player didn't seem to have any real issue with it being given which was also pretty telling.
That’s how I saw it, although with a different conclusion. The English player should have scored anyway. It seemed like she wanted the contact more than an unmissable opportunity.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:15pm
Never a penalty.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Never a penalty.

The Yank clipped the English players heel as she was about to shot. Thats a peno all day, all night and for life everlasting. Amen. 
El Puto Amo
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:24pm
That was a great game of ball last night. Both teams went for it. On another note.....Alex Morgan Heart
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 1:09pm
Jaysus when this is finally over they be all heading home to some amount of washing 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Never a penalty.

The Yank clipped the English players heel as she was about to shot. Thats a peno all day, all night and for life everlasting. Amen. 

I took about two replays to come to that conclusion, how it's debatable I'm not sure, if someone said that it was an accidental coming together then yeah I could believe that, but she was gonna score. If a player falls over on the line and the ball hit the hand it would be a penalty 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Was watching it on Bein and can't remember the name of the guest but she's an ex-England player and she was raging with it. Calling it offensive LOL  

It was that bizarre that I thought she was joking at first.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 2:31pm
Re the penalty, I agree it was marginal and couldn't have blamed the ref had she not given it.

But everyone is looking towards the English player's movement etc to try to determine whether it was a penalty (naturally enough).

Whereas with the replays from behind the players, if you looked for the American player's movement, she too was clearly affected by the contact i.e. she was knocked off course as well (albeit v.slightly).

So imo a penalty, just.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:12pm
It's a clear penalty. Her knee clips the heel of the English striker as she's about to score. When you are lining up to kick a ball like that, any clip from behind will totally put you off your stride. It's the defenders duty to not run into the back of the attacking player in such a scenario, so even if she was thick enough to run into the back of her accidentally it's still a penalty.

Imo though it's very cynical by the USA player. These are elite level players, she knows exactly what's she's doing there and she's just hoping to get away with it. It's a clear red card as well. Big mistake made by the referee there.

Btw if that's not a penalty in some people's eyes, then what is an actual penalty? Any slight clips of the heels won't warrant a foul in the box, especially if the fouled party exaggerates the fouled party - is that where we are now? Very strange times. It's like people are so conditioned by their reactions to people diving that they won't believe someone is fouled unless they are laid out in an absolute heap on the pitch.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:22pm
Btw, 10 million viewers on the BBC last night and a peak of 320k on RTE2

Looks like the women's game has well and truly arrived
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Btw, 10 million viewers on the BBC last night

Second highest TV audience in the UK this year, behind only "Line of Duty" (final episode, I presume).

I think the Lionesses should appoint Ted Hastings as manager instead of Phil Neville - he'd soon have them sucking diesel, that's for sure...
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Never a penalty.

It’s a no for me MC.

Free kick out would have been the correct call.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 03 Jul 2019 at 3:50pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Btw, 10 million viewers on the BBC last night

Second highest TV audience in the UK this year, behind only "Line of Duty" (final episode, I presume).

I think the Lionesses should appoint Ted Hastings as manager instead of Phil Neville - he'd soon have them sucking diesel, that's for sure...

Big smile

I would imagine women's football is here to stay and those audiences are not a fluke. It's already the most popular spectator sport in the world. This tournament will probably be a massive boost to the game in the UK and Ireland in terms of getting girls interested in playing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic