You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Women Pundits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 2:55pm
nomissue with your original point on which i generally agree in fact. However, when i looked it was two lads being silly by replying...if you hadnt of replied, id have seen Bhobs comment on its own and then just told him to cop on. 

Anyway...moving on
Sponsored Links

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think the biggest problem is that the whole thing has been made massively complicated in the name of style over substance. Referees, four-strong panels and inane questions mean we get very little tactical insight or well researched responses, (which, in fairness, could be why people were surprised at Aluko's response, it was highly unusual for this World Cup!) and end up with lots of 'bantz' and bad jokes.
I have said it many times, but I don't understand why the bigger names are automatically seen as ideal pundits, I would argue as to why they would have to be former players at all. I would much rather listen to Honigstein, Auclair, Wilson or Marcotti than Rio or Wrighty. 

Agreed.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:02pm
NSFW

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:05pm
Ok i'll respond properly so.

For years now we've been subjected to substandard commentating on matches by ex professionals and males alike yet we've just become accustomed to it. Now for once we're having ex professional women in the studio giving their thoughts on matches, which for me will break down barriers around the womens game in general. There are a lot of cavemen still out there that think women can't play football or know f**k all about football, sure how could they they're only women.

It's a step in the right direction having female footballers or ex pro's adding their thoughts and insight in analysis during and after matches.

"I know there are plenty of male pundits/commentators that are fairly sh*te too, but I'm sick of this need in modern society to fill up certain quotas for the sake of it."

So it's acceptable to have sh*te male commentators that complete a panel but not females because they're filling up certain quotas? 
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:11pm
Have any of these women pundits started a sentence with “For me”? If not, they can’t be too bad
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:12pm
The more we see of Alex Scott the better
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

For years now we've been subjected to substandard commentating on matches by ex professionals and males alike yet we've just become accustomed to it. Now for once we're having ex professional women in the studio giving their thoughts on matches, which for me will break down barriers around the womens game in general. There are a lot of cavemen still out there that think women can't play football or know f**k all about football, sure how could they they're only women.

It's a step in the right direction having female footballers or ex pro's adding their thoughts and insight in analysis during and after matches.

"I know there are plenty of male pundits/commentators that are fairly sh*te too, but I'm sick of this need in modern society to fill up certain quotas for the sake of it."

So it's acceptable to have sh*te male commentators that complete a panel but not females because they're filling up certain quotas? 

Just because I made a point, you were half implying I was one of those?

Which couldn't be further from the truth, you take womans sport, it's dominated by female pundits and commentators, who said women haven't got a place in sport? 

In regard to a mix during male sporting events the likes of Joanne Cantwell and Jaqui Hurley are there on merit because they're very good at what they do.

I just don't feel there's a need to now suddenly try fill quotas for the sake of it, why not select these people male or female on merit.

Big difference.

Edited by Green Devil - 18 Jun 2018 at 3:14pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:16pm
The  good old days of the 70's before PC went mad.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:20pm

Some of the women pundits/commentators are good. Some of them are sh*te. Same with the men, good ones and crap/annoying ones.

However, I've totally no interest in women's football. Or women's rugby, GAA, camogie, boxing or many other sports for that matter. Not sure what barriers they want to break down, but I never see the day when I will sit and watch any of those women's sports above.
Does that make me sexist?

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:21pm
Sweet baby Jesus, fckin women causing trouble ever since that eve bitch gave Adam a hard time about eating the apple with her, bitch 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

She made a point, he slow clapped after she’d finished. Twas seen as patronising. 

She made a point....then the female host of the show addressed both Evra and Henrik Larsson and said '''she's good isn't she??". The way it's being reported you'd swear as soon as Aluko finished talking Evra piped up but in fairness he's only answering the question put to him. Unfortunately the snowflake generation have taken offence of this.

Watching it in real time I cringed. The host did make a point, but several times Evra either gave a patronizing clap or said 'wow' - it came across as ridiculously condescending.

And anyone who uses the word 'snowflake' in a context that isn't about frozen water would want to have a word with themselves.
LOLClap
LOLCompletely agree 
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:38pm
This RTE panel is a bit grim.I suppose the next time this many unionists will be tuned into RTE we'll have a united Ireland
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:59pm
Do you get men commentating/punditing on the Women's World Cup ?

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Some of the women pundits/commentators are good. Some of them are sh*te. Same with the men, good ones and crap/annoying ones.

However, I've totally no interest in women's football. Or women's rugby, GAA, camogie, boxing or many other sports for that matter. Not sure what barriers they want to break down, but I never see the day when I will sit and watch any of those women's sports above.

@Roberto Baggio
Thanks for volunteering the reasons for some of your sports choices.
Your choices are Gender-specific, you divide Sports by Gender and make the choices based on that.
FIFA also divide the sport up and with Gender it's Football and Women's Football which let's more malicious people off the hook and devalue Women's Football. Print Media content follow the FIFA labels with headings in their pages. Perhaps TV studios also identify their staff as Pundit and Woman Pundit.

The Universities Governing Body FISU, have Women's and Men's Football attempt at equality by having both competing at same event World University Games. Football at Universiade

30th Universiade, Naples and Campania, 02- 14th July 2019 (Football always starts one day before Opening).
http://www.fisu.net/sport-events/summer-universiades-events/30th-summer-universiade
You'd be very welcome, very good chance you may meet your namesake.

If you were derogatory based on Gender or disrupted the flow of information about an event based on the Gender of participants or providing resources for one sports event but not another based on Gender (eg not surrendering the remote control when a Women's Football match is on tv) that would be sexist. Because it's taking resources away based on Gender.

Edited by UCDFAN - 18 Jun 2018 at 4:02pm
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 11:41pm
another unpopular opinion - Martin O’Neill isn’t a good pundit. Repeats himself a lot, says things like “I tell you what” a lot and comes out with a lot of cliches 
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:27am
Don't understand the big deal over the women pundits, they have done the basic minimum research needed and just reading things off Wikipedia will get a bit boring soon when the novelty wears off. 

If anything it just shows the fallacy of just throwing a few ex pros together and expecting them to be good pundits. I would rather listen to a couple of journalists with genuine insight pre match rather than someone just rattling off goalscorer stats from the internet
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 6:39am

I agree with Baggio. 
Of course women can play and know about football. That doesn’t mean they will be a good pundit. Same with the men.

People are trying to make a big deal out of nothing. 

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:17am

another unpopular opinion - Martin O’Neill isn’t a good pundit. Repeats himself a lot, says things like “I tell you what” a lot and comes out with a lot of cliches 
Detest this.

He's implying that he knows more than you.

This was true in the 70s and 80s but now he knows fcuk all.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic