You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wolfe Tones tickets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wolfe Tones tickets
    Posted: 18 Sep 2023 at 10:48pm
Looking for two for the Olympia on Sunday Oct 22.

Like all their gigs these days, tickets hard to come by which is great to see. 

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 10:31am
Catalpa are the warm up act so give FW a shout to see if he can help out
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 10:48am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Looking for two for the Olympia on Sunday Oct 22.

Like all their gigs these days, tickets hard to come by which is great to see. 

Where do you think the change has happened 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 11:53am
The women’s soccer team controversy put them back in the spotlight where we had people in media here and abroad basically criticising people for singing republican songs.

I think we now have a cohort of people who have said, no f**k that they are good songs and part of our culture and actually I am going to double down and make it my business to go see them and sing along. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 19 Sep 2023 at 11:53am
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 3:44pm
Joe Duffy, Alan Shatter, Irish Indo reporters mainly the editor who is so far up Fine Gaels hole its actually laughable etc etc put them back on the map.
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Catalpa are the warm up act so give FW a shout to see if he can help out

Have asked CW.

My niece is playing on the night too. Gold dust
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:20am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

The women’s soccer team controversy put them back in the spotlight where we had people in media here and abroad basically criticising people for singing republican songs.

I think we now have a cohort of people who have said, no f**k that they are good songs and part of our culture and actually I am going to double down and make it my business to go see them and sing along. 
The "part of our culture" thing cracks me up. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Why?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:41am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Why?
People can go to any gigs they want, sing whatever songs they want (and other people are allowed not to like the music also).
But a song written about a Scottish Football Club 30 odd years ago isn't something I would consider part of my culture, for example.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:45am
I think it's more to do with the band and not the song, and there is a tonne of songs about the good old IRA, which we would have all been brought up listening too.

The problem with Celtic symphony is that it's a very catchy tune.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:45am

Why?
People can go to any gigs they want, sing whatever songs they want (and other people are allowed not to like the music also).
But a song written about a Scottish Football Club 30 odd years ago isn't something I would consider part of my culture, for example.

That's one song in isolation but the vast majority of their songs are about irish history or the Irish social experience (such emigration).

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:56am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Why?

That's one song in isolation but the vast majority of their songs are about irish history or the Irish social experience (such emigration).

A number of those songs weren't written by them - Which isn't a swipe at them at all.
Maybe it's just me but considering songs 20/30 years old (of any genre) as part of my culture is something I struggle with. The old songs that they cover I would consider more in that way but they when people seem to "defend" listening to the Wolfe Tones now (and I throw that in inverted commas as people can listen to what they like) it isn't really the old covers they seem to reference. 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 11:09am

A number of those songs weren't written by them - Which isn't a swipe at them at all.
Maybe it's just me but considering songs 20/30 years old (of any genre) as part of my culture is something I struggle with. The old songs that they cover I would consider more in that way but they when people seem to "defend" listening to the Wolfe Tones now (and I throw that in inverted commas as people can listen to what they like) it isn't really the old covers they seem to reference. 

I think what is meant by culture can vary. From an artistic and musical point of view, the Wolfe Tones are undoubtedly central from an Irish cultural point of view. They really are trailblazers from the point of view of rebel and traditional music.

That being said, I would believe that they are being used from a political culture point of view, by people who have little interest in promoting the Wolfe Tones on a musical level.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I think what is meant by culture can vary. From an artistic and musical point of view, the Wolfe Tones are undoubtedly central from an Irish cultural point of view. They really are trailblazers from the point of view of rebel and traditional music.

That being said, I would believe that they are being used from a political culture point of view, by people who have little interest in promoting the Wolfe Tones on a musical level.

Are the though? I mean, politics is kinda central to a lot of their own songs. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 11:43am

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Are the though? I mean, politics is kinda central to a lot of their own songs. 

Thats true, but they have undoubtedly seen a resurgence at a time when there have been efforts to sanitise certain aspects of the political past. The argument of 'our songs' is indicative of this. Or indeed the focus on the 'ooh ah..' thing. There is much more too the band than that. But for commentators and online shills, it can be useful.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 11:43am

Why?

That's one song. Do you know any of the other 20 they sing at a gig?

Thes best Tones songs for me hardly mention the IRA
Boston Rose
My Heart is in Ireland
Streets of New York
Only Our Rivers Run Free
Grace
Irish Eyes

All deeply embedded in our history

Oh....but the Celtic Synphony
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 11:53am
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Why?

That's one song. Do you know any of the other 20 they sing at a gig?

Thes best Tones songs for me hardly mention the IRA
Boston Rose
My Heart is in Ireland
Streets of New York
Only Our Rivers Run Free
Grace
Irish Eyes

All deeply embedded in our history

Oh....but the Celtic Synphony

But that's the whole point of this. The discussion is around the political songs on both sides.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic