You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Withdrawal Systems from Poland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caseballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

The cost of everything was cheap. I'd disagree with every other point though.

After arriving in Gdansk on gameday, it pised, and pised, and pised from an hour in, until we left. After the Italy game in Poznan, it pised again, with lightning to go with it. The Croatia game wasn't a dry night either.

Getting to and from the venues was a pain in the backside for many, forced to stay hundreds of kilometres from the venues, and getting around Poznan was a test of patience. The stadium had no rail link, it was way outside the city, and the stadium itself looked like it was situated in the middle of a farmyard. Getting away from the stadium in Gdansk was another endurance test. Even Lansdowne has a rail link, and an orderly queue for it.

Gdansk had just a shipyard, Poznan had just a square for something to do. It was either that or sink 20 pints down your neck all day every day. Not a lot to do.

The country should never have been given the championships, as it was not ready to host it. At least in France next time around, you know that everything will run as it should.

Jesus you sound like a right snob, you really need to get some perspective. You got a holiday for 2 weeks and got to go to every game (presumably) which is more that can be said for hundreds probably thousands of others who didn't get to go because they couldn't afford or other reasons and you got home safe and sound unlike one unlucky Irish lad. 
Sponsored Links

kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 2:03pm

Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Entirely understandable.  Poland was easy to get to, the cost of everything was cheap, getting around wasn't too difficult, there was lots to see and do outside of football, the people were SO welcoming, and the weather for the most part held up.

The cost of everything was cheap. I'd disagree with every other point though.

After arriving in Gdansk on gameday, it pised, and pised, and pised from an hour in, until we left. After the Italy game in Poznan, it pised again, with lightning to go with it. The Croatia game wasn't a dry night either.

Getting to and from the venues was a pain in the backside for many, forced to stay hundreds of kilometres from the venues, and getting around Poznan was a test of patience. The stadium had no rail link, it was way outside the city, and the stadium itself looked like it was situated in the middle of a farmyard. Getting away from the stadium in Gdansk was another endurance test. Even Lansdowne has a rail link, and an orderly queue for it.

Gdansk had just a shipyard, Poznan had just a square for something to do. It was either that or sink 20 pints down your neck all day every day. Not a lot to do.

The country should never have been given the championships, as it was not ready to host it. At least in France next time around, you know that everything will run as it should.

After your constant bullsh*t on the JD thread I figured you might be a WUM,now i know.
Its rained a few days,wow imagine that.It took an hour to get away from the stadium in Gdansk,Poznan only has a square.If you couldn't enjoy what happened in Poland ( off the pitch of course) then you are going to be seriously let down by any other football event you go to.........or life in general.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

I've met one or two moany gits on Ireland trips (Claret Murph, Newryrep and my son to name a few) but I think you "planning" take moaning to a level beyond the reach of even the afore mentioned well trained moaners.

Eh Point of Order - I did not moan about anything in Poland, Mrs Newryrep moaned about the amount of time we shifted hotels (there is at least 2 jokes in there) . As regards the other two , bang on the moneyThumbs Up

Edit - actually I did moan about the weather a wee bit 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I've met one or two moany gits on Ireland trips (Claret Murph, Newryrep and my son to name a few) but I think you "planning" take moaning to a level beyond the reach of even the afore mentioned well trained moaners.

Eh Point of Order - I did not moan about anything in Poland, Mrs Newryrep moaned about the amount of time we shifted hotels (there is at least 2 jokes in there) . As regards the other two , bang on the moneyThumbs Up

Seem to remember lots of moaning about waiting a mere 3 hours for a steak

Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 3:42pm

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Seem to remember lots of moaning about waiting a mere 3 hours for a steak

Actually its all comming back to me now
  • waiting 3 hours for a steak matchday V Italy Bee jays Thumbs Up
  • Waitress Bar 55 Croatia matchday only taking food order and woudlnt take drink order - great steak though
  • Taxi driver in Gdansk thinking we must be russian oliagarhs
  • Taxi driver on Italien matchday taking us to Hotel 'Marina' as opposed to Hotel Arena
  • train timetable  from Warsaw Airport Centrum confusing
  • etc

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
stellious View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stellious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 4:42pm

The withdrawal symptoms are killing me. One month on and I still havent got over it. Since returning home I have experienced the following symptoms of withdrawal.

1. Hangover - A hangover of alcohol which took about a week to get over in total. Im not saying I was mc hammered every night, but drinking everyday really takes its toll on your insides. My fieces are slowly returning to there solid state.

2. Bitter Disappointment - Although we all knew we were goners after the defeat to Spain, I don’t think the disappointment really kicked in until the tournament was over. We all kept our heads up and sang loudly for the Italy game and for this, we received a better response from our players, although we were all disheveled, the rest of the tournament was a welcome distraction. The real disappointment sunk in for me when I watched the a video showing the highlights of the tournament, showing 1 goal scored and 0 points, I took consolation within 10 seconds of the video as it showed the fans in Poznan square. As i watched the celebrations of the Spain team coming home to Madrid, my head filled with anger, I specifically watched a young man in the crowd, he looked around 25 years old, I started to ask myself why this young man deserved to see his country win 3 major tournaments in 9 years and I didn’t! I also thought, there’s a very good chance that his girlfriend has much greater breasts than mine, these thoughts infuriated me and this stage of anger brought bitter disappointment to an end .

3. Reliving the memories - Once I got back to work, the euros were over and I had my insides and life back in some sort of order, I started to relive the past 3 weeks in my head. I done this in various ways. Going through all my photos, posting videos of fans on tube and online, phoning friends and reciting stories and sitting down just thinking what I was doing this time 3 weeks ago. Sometimes I would sit quiet in the house beside my girlfriend, she would see a wry smile develop on the side of my face and ask me "are you thinking of Poland?" to which she always knew the answer would be yes.

4. Ignorance - To try and block out the disappointing feelings and stop the hurt of not being there any more, not knowing when the next chance would be, I decided to ignore everything that would remind me of the tournament. My theory was, if I looked back in 3 weeks’ time, my thoughts would be happily reminiscent as opposed to disheartened and regretful. I stopped watching videos, stopped reading articles, stopped listening to Ireland songs and convinced myself that it was for my own good. It was harder than I thought but getting back to work helped, I kept my head down and focused and soon other stories started to surround me in the media such as transfer speculation, the Olympics and maniacs killing people in a cinema.

5. Satisfaction - When the ignorance stage passed, I realised that my theory had worked. The disapointment has left me and I get begin to move on. I did not move in the manner of forgetting the last month of events, quite the opposite, there’s not a day goes by when I don’t think of something that happened on that trip and my heart fills with happiness. I have been contacted by many people I met on this trip, Croatians, polish, Spaniards and Irish alike, with a great grin on my face I think about the critic with the Croatians, the polish joining in with the Ireland songs, (not knowing who this John Delaney man was and wondering how he made this transition from a w*nker to alright now) the polski police singing our praises, the hassle of the campsites, the warm but not sunny weather, the zlotys, the campers, the fields of athenry, the homeless man on top of a chair in poznan square, the Ireland fans singing we love you polska, the sight of the opposition fans applauding our fans knowing they were outsung by the green faithful even 4-0 down after 90mins, the billboards in poznan, the train to Gdansk, the optimistic ticket touts, lake Malta, the cheap drink, the face painting, the beautiful polish women, the lech factory tour, the camaraderie between Ire fans, the tshirts, Angela Merkel, singing in the rain, st ledgers goal, being involved, the amazing banter that I will ever struggle to have again.

And after thinking about all this, the thought occurs to me again about that young Spanish lad banging his beautiful chica picturing iniesta and xavi while doing so and I realise that he will never have the feelings of pride and happiness that I experienced from following my wonderful nation in Euro 2012. And for this I am Satisfied that I can get back to my mediocre girlfriend and I will always have these unforgettable memories

Thank you Poland and thank you Ireland!

Eire Abu

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by RazorMac RazorMac wrote:

Campsites are only an alternative as are universities. I stayed in torun for most of it because host cities are normally hectic and plus I wanted to see other places. Stayed in poznan and Gdansk on match days and got value for money accommodation. Travel was also cheap and internal flights were very reasonable. Try book a hotel in London during the Olympics and let me know how ya get on. You are entitled to your opinion but 99 per cent of us came home happy with the way we were treated. In my eyes that's successful. You sound like a bit of a snob. Was probably you I saw moaning about everything from the food, weather transport and accommodation whilst wearing your Rugby jersey..

I don't even like egg-chasing, never mind wear one of their shirts.

Not that interested in the Olympics, which is basically swimming the first week, and athletics the next. But you can be guaranteed that London will have all the infrastracture needed to host the games. There has been no reported issues, and everyone will get accommodated as a guest should.

I'm not a snob, but at one of the biggest sports events in the world, you expect everything to run flawlessly, and the infrastructure to be first-class. Buses and trains should run 24 hours, thousands of hotels with many more thousands of beds should be available. Trams are not good enough. They can accommodate little more than a bus can, trains can accommodate hundreds of people at any one time, and should come less than 20 minutes apart, as after the Spain game.

Of course everyone had their own reasons for staying where they were, but the vast majority stayed outside the host cities because of cost, or lack of accommodation/facilities available. It's the hosts fault that such facilities were not available, they had 5 years notice of this tournament, and would have started their campaign several years before then. So there's no excuse for not getting it right, having everything ready and on time. You see why Platini is talking about holding the Euros everywhere instead of one country. It's a mad idea, but what does that say about the last one?

If I'm a whiner or a moaner, so be it. We once had a player who walked out on his country because the tournament facilities were not up to scratch. The fact that most others put up with it, as then, doesn't deflect from the issue. Get it right or lose the gig.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:51pm

Campsites are only an alternative as are universities. I stayed in torun for most of it because host cities are normally hectic and plus I wanted to see other places. Stayed in poznan and Gdansk on match days and got value for money accommodation. Travel was also cheap and internal flights were very reasonable. Try book a hotel in London during the Olympics and let me know how ya get on. You are entitled to your opinion but 99 per cent of us came home happy with the way we were treated. In my eyes that's successful. You sound like a bit of a snob. Was probably you I saw moaning about everything from the food, weather transport and accommodation whilst wearing your Rugby jersey..

Not that interested in the Olympics, which is basically swimming the first week, and athletics the next. But you can be guaranteed that London will have all the infrastracture needed to host the games. There has been no reported issues, and everyone will get accommodated as a guest should.

I'm not a snob, but at one of the biggest sports events in the world, you expect everything to run flawlessly, and the infrastructure to be first-class. Buses and trains should run 24 hours, thousands of hotels with many more thousands of beds should be available. Trams are not good enough. They can accommodate little more than a bus can, trains can accommodate hundreds of people at any one time, and should come less than 20 minutes apart, as after the Spain game.

Of course everyone had their own reasons for staying where they were, but the vast majority stayed outside the host cities because of cost, or lack of accommodation/facilities available. It's the hosts fault that such facilities were not available, they had 5 years notice of this tournament, and would have started their campaign several years before then. So there's no excuse for not getting it right, having everything ready and on time. You see why Platini is talking about holding the Euros everywhere instead of one country. It's a mad idea, but what does that say about the last one?

If I'm a whiner or a moaner, so be it. We once had a player who walked out on his country because the tournament facilities were not up to scratch. The fact that most others put up with it, as then, doesn't deflect from the issue. Get it right or lose the gig.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2178173/Train-drivers-ordered-stop-Olympic-Park-decrepit-overhead-cables-installed-1950s-cope-heat.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/23/cosport-olympic-ticket-complaints

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/news/hotel-prices-heading-sky-high-for-london-olympics/story-fn32891l-1226432667058

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/17/london-2012-olympic-tickets-unsold

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/athletics/2012/0716/329341-olympic-arrivals-lost-on-bus/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/9426008/Traffic-trouble-spots-due-to-Olympic-confusion-and-burst-water-main.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18788292

http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/focus/article/the-truth-about-the-london-olympics-2012/

http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_html/frugal-blog/frugal-cafe-blogzone/2012/07/15/london-olympics-fiasco-security-bungled-inadequate-construction-not-completed-on-athletes-village-less-than-2-weeks-to-go-video/

http://dawn.com/2012/07/25/as-london-prepares-to-party-olympic-park-dwellers-look-away/

http://www.theweek.co.uk/olympics/london-2012/47924/army-anger-troops-forced-cover-g4s-olympic-security-fail

But never let the facts get in the way of a good rant. Everything going just swimmingly in London. Yeah, right. I'm not saying the games won't be a success, but there are huge issues with hosting events of that size. And, if anything, tournaments like the euros and the world cup are bigger because of the disparate nature of the fans and the fact you absolutely have to shuttle fans over the country (less necessary for an olympics if most of the events are in one city, albeit that there are many more events).

Edited by SuperDave84 - 25 Jul 2012 at 6:58pm
larraga View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larraga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 6:57pm
Sorry you 're not content, "Planning". Let's hope you don't wish to head to Brazil in 2014. Price of hotels during Carnival over there are approx 300 euros per night, so I'd expect they'll cost same at World Cup. Venues are thousands of miles apart, no trains, fly or long coach journey only. Not cheap for food or drink. Maybe Poland not so bad after all 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by larraga larraga wrote:

Originally posted by larraga larraga wrote:

Can't get Poland out of my mind. I'm an old fart of 54 and I'm like a spoiled teenager. I had such a good time over there, I just want to go back. Maybe I'll go to Tony Sopranos' shrink, she might be able to sort my head out. Keep looking at youtube videos and photos of Craic. Unforgetable,Incredible. Think I'll buy a tent and live in Sopot. I hope I get rid of this Pol-Itis soon,cos it's doing my head in. Polska Abu.

Excuse my ignorance. I knew it was incorrect but I couldn't be arsed to rectify it.

Sorry to point out another mistake but if you knew it was incorrect then you were not ignorant, just lazy. Wink
AKA pedantic kunt
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:20pm

Or if you dont like whats on offer stay at home and watch it on the telly.

We stayed in Torun because we did not want to be moving from city to city. Personal choice.

If you think that the stadium in Poznan was way out, what about the amsterdam arena, or Stade Francais etc, stadiums well outside the city centre. 

I know nothing :-)
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:41pm

Campsites are only an alternative as are universities. I
stayed in torun for most of it because host cities are normally hectic
and plus I wanted to see other places. Stayed in poznan and Gdansk on
match days and got value for money accommodation. Travel was also cheap
and internal flights were very reasonable. Try book a hotel in London
during the Olympics and let me know how ya get on. You are entitled to
your opinion but 99 per cent of us came home happy with the way we were
treated. In my eyes that's successful. You sound like a bit of a snob.
Was probably you I saw moaning about everything from the food, weather
transport and accommodation whilst wearing your Rugby jersey..

Not
that interested in the Olympics, which is basically swimming the first
week, and athletics the next. But you can be guaranteed that London will
have all the infrastracture needed to host the games. There has been no
reported issues, and everyone will get accommodated as a guest should.

I'm
not a snob, but at one of the biggest sports events in the world, you
expect everything to run flawlessly, and the infrastructure to be
first-class. Buses and trains should run 24 hours, thousands of hotels
with many more thousands of beds should be available. Trams are not good
enough. They can accommodate little more than a bus can, trains can
accommodate hundreds of people at any one time, and should come less
than 20 minutes apart, as after the Spain game.

Of course
everyone had their own reasons for staying where they were, but the vast
majority stayed outside the host cities because of cost, or lack of
accommodation/facilities available. It's the hosts fault that such
facilities were not available, they had 5 years notice of this
tournament, and would have started their campaign several years before
then. So there's no excuse for not getting it right, having everything
ready and on time. You see why Platini is talking about holding the
Euros everywhere instead of one country. It's a mad idea, but what does
that say about the last one?

If I'm a whiner or a moaner, so be
it. We once had a player who walked out on his country because the
tournament facilities were not up to scratch. The fact that most others
put up with it, as then, doesn't deflect from the issue. Get it right or
lose the gig.

ya everything is going fine in London, apart from the traffic chaos and public transport chaos that has already caused major disruptions 3 days before the games start!!
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

If you think that the stadium in Poznan was way out, what about the amsterdam arena, or Stade Francais etc, stadiums well outside the city centre.

Stadiums are fine well outside the city, if the infrastructure supports it.

I can't speak for the Amsterdam Arena, but Paris has 300 Metro stations alone, with 2 of them near the stadium, and one of them is purpose built for handling large numbers of people going to and from the stadium at any time. Munich is pretty similiar. The infrastructure is there, so issues are few and far between.

London has a full developed and integrated transport system. The city has thousands of accommodation places available, and can support an event the size of the Olympics.

Edited by planning - 25 Jul 2012 at 7:55pm
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:08pm
you obviously werent in Paris for the Play Off a total disaster. The metro was finshed before the game was over and thousands of Irish fans had to walk or try for a taxi.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:15pm
I was in Paris for it. Because the game went into extra time, the Metro operated beyond it's usual time, and everyone who needed to use it, could.  
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

you obviously werent in Paris for the Play Off a total disaster. The metro was finshed before the game was over and thousands of Irish fans had to walk or try for a taxi.

not true. i definitely got a train back to gare du nord.

also, i notice planning hasn't responded to my post above and continues to assume all is rosy in the london garden when it clearly is not.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Thankfully for Planning's health we weren't situated in the Ukraine. I suppose it's more interesting than hearing everyone harp on about how great Poland was.

Whilst reading all the great reviews on the forum, I'm convinced that no matter what country/city the Championships were played in everyone would've come back saying how great the country/people are i.e. the same reviews as Poland. It happens after nearly every away trip on here.

Not always. Thought the people in Moscow were ignorant fookers in general, although the women were unbelievable. Was fairly indifferent to the locals in Armenia as they'd very little English, which obviously isn't their fault. Still great trips though.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I hear ya. I'd say Kazachstan will be a trip of a lifetime for those few hundred that do take the plunge. I just could not justify spending that kind of missus to go watch a match where I could take the two of us to somewhere like New York for that.

One/Two away trips per year and major tournaments is all I would be able to get permission for and afford

best freudian slip in ybig history
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic