Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winning the Europa v getting 4th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Jackthelad Jackthelad wrote:

Have they done any worse though than how man city have got on in the CL.
Different standard of team being faced obviously, but city won't find many feeling too sorry for them with the money they've spent.
We made the semis a few years back, beaten by atleti in the 2nd leg at anfield If I remember correctly.

Are city the bench mark though, I would think not. City got a couple of stinker groups in their defence due to their seeding.

English teams have performed badly in in overall though. Shocking.
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 10:21am

Europa League a shocking tourment, so devalued over the years. Since they got rid of the Cup Winners Cup this messed up this competition. And once the Champions League expanded, this also had a knock on effect to the Uefa Cup/Europa League, by having weaker teams in it leading to poorer games.Also the 3rd placed team in the group drops to the Europa League which again devalues the competition.

Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 11:17am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

If I was the manager of one of those clubs I would concentrate more on trying to finish 4th. They should make the knock out stage of the europa league anyway. When there see how you're doing in the league. I don't think Spurs have a good   
enough team for 4th tbh
they haven't a team good enough to win the Europa either.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 12:33pm
League always first for me. If its winning ye want ye should go and support Bayern or City. A team should always aim to finish as high in the league as they can. Of course there should be no comparison made to finish 4th or win the Europa league. If you are in the position to do both , you go for both. A lot of luck involved sometimes in winning a cup competition. Your league position reflects where your club are in the grander scheme of things
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 2:39pm
Recipe for improvement:

Abolish the Champions League drop-in (aside from 6 from the top nations from the Champions League last qualifying round).
Reduce the number of teams from 194 by one per nation down to about 140.
Abolish the place for the winners of the League Cup (fock it, abolish the league cup), sure they get it rarely enough anyway.
Reduce the group stage from 12 to 8 groups.
Give *both* finalists Champions League places.

32 teams in the group stages, only 6 automatic qualifiers, the rest come through three rounds of qualifiers, like the Champions League. That abolishes the extra round in the Europa League, anyway, and removes a decent amount of the dross teams.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 4:57pm
Winning a trophy every time. A reward for true fans.

Finishing 4th is for armchair fans, football nerds and accountants
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic