You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will the cost of drink put you off going to Bilbao
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will the cost of drink put you off going to Bilbao

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Well?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [32.14%]
17 [60.71%]
2 [7.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

If there's lads kicking footballs off the Guggenheim, God only knows what direction they'll go. How could you possibly relax with a beer in hand.
I for one won't be going.

Police over there don't mess around. Wouldn't tolerate that carry on at all.

Is the correct answer. TBH there's probably a minority who could do with getting a few slaps off the policia

Not the Spanish police. It's the Ertzaintza you've to look out for. They're the Basque police. Absolute headbangers
Danger here, OH NO
Sponsored Links

UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:25am
What's the best dormitory town? Biarritz, Donastia or Vitoria.  Hondarrabia is fine though, it's the only place I've been in that area.

John Delaney didn't mention 'Celtic Cousins' nor 'Iberno-Hibernians' but it's still a great quote.
http://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/euro-2020-dublin-paired-with-bilbao
FAI CEO John Delaney said: "I would like to welcome the decision by UEFA that Dublin has been paired with the great city of Bilbao for UEFA EURO 2020.

"Today's host city pairings marks an exciting chapter in the build-up to the European Championships, which will see Dublin and Ireland hosting the biggest ever sporting event to take place in our country.

Shinner sprays his shorts

Welcoming the news, Lord Mayor of Dublin, Ardmheara Michael McDonncha, said: "On behalf of the citizens of Dublin, I'm delighted by UEFA's decision to pair Dublin with Bilbao for EURO 2020.  "These two great cities will have an opportunity to work together to play a major role in this unique pan-European sporting event. As a host city, Dublin will be able to showcase itself to the world and will provide visitors with a festival of football in June 2020." 

www.ucdsupporters.ie
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 7:43am
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

What's the best dormitory town? Biarritz, Donastia or Vitoria.  Hondarrabia is fine though, it's the only place I've been in that area.

John Delaney didn't mention 'Celtic Cousins' nor 'Iberno-Hibernians' but it's still a great quote.
FAI CEO John Delaney said: "I would like to welcome the decision by UEFA that Dublin has been paired with the great city of Bilbao for UEFA EURO 2020.

"Today's host city pairings marks an exciting chapter in the build-up to the European Championships, which will see Dublin and Ireland hosting the biggest ever sporting event to take place in our country.

Welcoming the news, Lord Mayor of Dublin, Ardmheara Michael McDonncha, said: "On behalf of the citizens of Dublin, I'm delighted by UEFA's decision to pair Dublin with Bilbao for EURO 2020.  "These two great cities will have an opportunity to work together to play a major role in this unique pan-European sporting event. As a host city, Dublin will be able to showcase itself to the world and will provide visitors with a festival of football in June 2020." 

Limerick played in Amorebieta-Etxano  (Spanish call it Amorebieta-Echano  )  in 2013 pleasant town of approx 20,000.  It is approx 30 minutes from Bilbao from what I can remember.  Bilbao is the best place to stay in my book.  Of course we may not qualify and we may yet have the Spain game in Dublin if we do.

gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

<span style="font-size: small;">John Delaney didn't mention 'Celtic Cousins' nor 'Iberno-Hibernians' but it's still a great quote.</span>
<span style="font-size: small; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: " Sans", Arial, sans-serif;">FAI CEO John Delaney said: "I would like to welcome the decision by UEFA that Dublin has been paired with the great city of Bilbao for UEFA EURO 2020.</span>
<p style="-sizing: border-; margin: 0em 0px 1.375em; padding-top: 0em; padding-bottom: 0em; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: " Sans", Arial, sans-serif;">"Today's host city pairings marks an exciting chapter in the build-up to the European Championships, which will see Dublin and Ireland hosting the biggest ever sporting event to take place in our country.

<p style="-sizing: border-; margin: 0em 0px 1.375em; padding-top: 0em; padding-bottom: 0em; color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: " Sans", Arial, sans-serif;">Welcoming the news, Lord Mayor of Dublin, Ardmheara Michael McDonncha, said: "On behalf of the citizens of Dublin, I'm delighted by UEFA's decision to pair Dublin with Bilbao for EURO 2020.  "These two great cities will have an opportunity to work together to play a major role in this unique pan-European sporting event. As a host city, Dublin will be able to showcase itself to the world and will provide visitors with a festival of football in June 2020."<span style="font-size: 16px;"> </span>

Bilbao sprawls. Lots of towns connected by a very good metro
Danger here, OH NO
Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 9:05am
Was there with the mrs for a long weekend in June 2015. No issues with pickpockets, food and drink were reasonable, loads to see and do. It was also absolutely boiling hot, way into the 30's every day. Any anti-social behaviour will get you a hiding for the ages, which I'm all for if the gimps that showed up in Copenhagen show up here.
Ask MaGee
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Fanny MaGee Fanny MaGee wrote:

Was there with the mrs for a long weekend in June 2015. No issues with pickpockets, food and drink were reasonable, loads to see and do. It was also absolutely boiling hot, way into the 30's every day. Any anti-social behaviour will get you a hiding for the ages, which I'm all for if the gimps that showed up in Copenhagen show up here.

That summer was a once in a generation thing to be honest. Usuaullly low 20s
Danger here, OH NO
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:35pm
PAMPLONA  SUBURBS  

GOOD FOOD ...  THE BIG BONITO FISH IS A GREAT MEAL...PEOPLE AMICABLE IF YOU SAY YOU ARE HALF  ARGIE...OR AT LEAST U HATE ENGLAND

THE TRAIN OR BUS IS CHEAP TO BILBAO ....
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 3:40pm
Will someone on here book my flights and accommodation? 

My mammy is on holidays. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by JAVIER JAVIER wrote:

PAMPLONA  SUBURBS  

GOOD FOOD ...  THE BIG BONITO FISH IS A GREAT MEAL...PEOPLE AMICABLE IF YOU SAY YOU ARE HALF  ARGIE...OR AT LEAST U HATE ENGLAND

THE TRAIN OR BUS IS CHEAP TO BILBAO ....

OR IF YOU SHOUT NONSENSE.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 4:31pm

All that has changed .
Probably the worst city in the world now for pickpockets and drink is hugely expensive.

Add in to the equation ETA and ISIS will likely join forces to kill us ,there isnt a hope in hell anyone should travel over there.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

All that has changed .
Probably the worst city in the world now for pickpockets and drink is hugely expensive.

Add in to the equation ETA and ISIS will likely join forces to kill us ,there isnt a hope in hell anyone should travel over there.

That would be the venue for our other 2 games if we qualify.  this is the Bilbao thread.  Big smile
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 5:23pm
Lived in Bilbao for a few years. Moved home a year ago. Flights directly to Bilbao are expensive. Accommodation is cheap. Drink and food is cheap. Pickpocketing is no issue. Crime is low. Basque police are mad. Guardia Civil are not to be messed with. City is linked to the various towns in the area by a fantastic metro system. Buses are cheap too. Ryanair fly into Santander. Two hour bus ride. Basques are headbangers to be truthful.
Danger here, OH NO
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 8:56pm
Bit different to the Irish then, as we are noted for our sanity.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

we might not even qualify 

imagine what Spain could do to us 

Actually now that I think about it, if Ireland were to play Spain in Bilbao it's not likely that the locals will be particularly predisposed to supporting Spain, is it?  Chances are the Basques will cheer on Ireland?
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Actually now that I think about it, if Ireland were to play Spain in Bilbao it's not likely that the locals will be particularly predisposed to supporting Spain, is it?  Chances are the Basques will cheer on Ireland?

Bilbao is very split. Middle to Upper are Spanish from the Basque Country. Working class are Basque. Chances are the Basques won't show up
Danger here, OH NO
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Sounds like Glasgow 2014 all over again LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:42am
Originally posted by gmfc90 gmfc90 wrote:

Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

If there's lads kicking footballs off the Guggenheim, God only knows what direction they'll go. How could you possibly relax with a beer in hand.
I for one won't be going.

Police over there don't mess around. Wouldn't tolerate that carry on at all.

Their lack of tolerance would only relate to hoofing a ball around. Short passing in the street would be fully acceptable.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 7:38pm
Down by the stadium today, bar 200m away doing €2 pints Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic