You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 41>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 4:09pm
Credit to Armstrong, he wasn't afraid to drop to non league last season to get games and is benefitting from it. Still think he might need a loan move in the football league though before he can aim for a regular starting spot in the Championship, but as a 20 minute bench impact player, he seems to be physically ready for the league.
Sponsored Links

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Credit to Armstrong, he wasn't afraid to drop to non league last season to get games and is benefitting from it. Still think he might need a loan move in the football league though before he can aim for a regular starting spot in the Championship, but as a 20 minute bench impact player, he seems to be physically ready for the league.

Id say you are right. Surely the proof will need to be in the pudding of a start, if he can get one. Even if it is a cup one against a Championship or League One side. Otherwise, he will probably need a loan. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 6:57pm
Starts tonight but no Kilkenny again in the squad.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Starts tonight but no Kilkenny again in the squad.

Kilkenny is injured, and is a big doubt for the 21's matches.

Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:10pm
I wonder if smallbone will see a senior call.

Hes played 8 of the 9 championship games for Stoke all in Central midfield which is a area of the pitch we're light. 

Knight is playing RWB for a Derby side that are losing g games in league 1, kilkenny is injured, Coventry is cover from the bench. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

Hes played 8 of the 9 championship games for Stoke all in Central midfield which is a area of the pitch we're light. 

Knight is playing RWB for a Derby side that are losing g games in league 1, kilkenny is injured, Coventry is cover from the bench. 

Dont think hes far off one but not this window, not with the u21 playoff and our final 2 NL games we'll be looking to win / finish the group strong. Little point either if hes not going to feature.

Between Cullen, Molumby, Browne and Hendrick playing regularly and well in the Championship with Hourihane doing alright too in L1 and at least Knight getting minutes in, we'll be alright for this window.

Id certainly be looking to get him in for the November games though.

Edited by Bandwagon - 14 Sep 2022 at 7:47pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 8:48pm

I think you have done an equally good job of making a case for Smallbone as you have for highlighting how mental Knight's situation is!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 10:33pm

Smallbone is getting pretty hard to ignore at this point:
-Playing regularly in the Champ now (same level as our best CMs)
-has PL potential (highly rated by Hasenhüttl, like Obafemi)
-is the type of technical/creative player the seniors are lacking.
-senior squad currently only has 5 CMs fighting for 3 spots (actually 4 fighting for 2, Cullen has no competition for the no.6), so there's room to include him.

I'd have him in, but he'll most likely be left with the U21s (especially with Kilkenny & Noss potentially injured). Should absolutely be with the seniors in November though.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 1:53pm
Has to be said, he has been absolutely useless for Stoke today. They're 4-0 down, so it's obviously not all down to him, but apart from a couple of snapshots on the edge of the box he has done nothing of note.

Liam Delap has been terrible as well incidentally, overhyped like many before him based on non-competitive underage football. Should be down in League 1 learning the game. Probably will be after Christmas because Stoke are in no position to accommodate him running around up front like a headless chicken week after week.

Edited by You Tell Me - 02 Oct 2022 at 1:53pm
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 2:10pm

Has to be said, he has been absolutely useless for Stoke today. They're 4-0 down, so it's obviously not all down to him, but apart from a couple of snapshots on the edge of the box he has done nothing of note.

Liam Delap has been terrible as well incidentally, overhyped like many before him based on non-competitive underage football. Should be down in League 1 learning the game. Probably will be after Christmas because Stoke are in no position to accommodate him running around up front like a headless chicken week after week.

Not sugar coating anything there YTM! 

In Smallbone's defence, could he be a bit off from the trip to Israel? 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 2:24pm

They should do away with that underage football mullarkey altogether seeing as it's so useless, just start sending them out on loan  to non-league teams at 10 years of age and let them battle it out.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 3:32pm
Or, you know, maybe just introduce them to senior football at a more realistic level, like League 1.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 4:39pm
I was disappointed watching Smallbone in the two play off games. Still think Kenny could call him up to have a look at him during training.
It would damage this forums' reputation
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 4:45pm
It's so wierd to me that we have to do this kneejerk reaction slating our own when they have an iffy game at club level. I'm guilty of it too but it gets a bit melodramatic. 

As for Will Smallbone he is far from Stoke's main problem so meh....
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 5:01pm
Granny rulers in being overrated on the back of one or two good games shocker.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 02 Oct 2022 at 5:01pm
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

We overrate everyone on this forum and then eviscerate them if they are apart of a poor team performance hence Bazunu, Parrott and even Collins getting hyperanalysed after mistakes. Not sure why granny rulers has anything to do with it but your clearly obsessed so...
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 5:12pm
Leave out the "Granny rulers" BS Hoolahan. Why would we take anything else you say as being genuine if you continue to lop cheap insults?
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Except hes not a granny ruler Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 41>
  Share Topic