You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Smallbone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 41>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Weecounty Weecounty wrote:

Without doubt Smallbone deserves to be called up but the chance of playing in the Under 21 Euros is a once off. Hopefully we qualify and give the lads some tournament experience. What I like about him is his attack mindset, he is one of our best attacking outlets but he may not have that role with the Senior team as he can also play the defensive midfield role. His work rate could land him in that role.

Whereever he plays, he has to play centrally, the most advanced of a midfield 3 looks like his best position. He is wasted out wide although he has a pretty surprising turn of pace. Good eye for a pass, good strike, he's ok in the air also. an intelligent footballer who looks like he has more time on the ball than everybody else at U21 level. Of course it will be difficult to replicate that at senior level, but he's definitely ready imo. I'd give him 20 minutes in one of the upcoming games.
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He needs to be playing regularly for his club before he gets called up to the senior squad. Even in the u21 games where he excelled at times, he was still anonymous, and goes missing for large periods.

No he doesn't. You are speaking from a totally idealistic point of view.

Yes, in an ideal world the senior team would be properly filled out with plenty of experienced players in that 24-30 age group, and we could wait for up and coming players to get 2 or 3 seasons of senior football under their belts before integrating them into the senior team.

We are very far away from that scenario. Top prospects needs to be accelerated up the age groups ASAP, that includes bringing them into the senior team before they might be properly ready.

Like Parrott & Idah are prime examples. Both moved up before they were ready, but both are Top Prospects & the forward options were threadbare.
It's no different with Smallbone. Senior midfield is threadbare & he is one of our best midfield prospects.

It's a no brainer to me, move him up. Kilkenny too.
I'm baffled by the hesitation of so many.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 4:15pm
All these young lads have it all to do. People saying they will be top players remains to be seen. Until they do it week in and out for good clubs at senior level they havent done anything.

I'll get excited when I see that.  
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 11:47pm
Looks like he will be going out on loan - Millwall, Sunderland and Burnley apparently interested in him.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 5:45am
For a technical player, Millwall and Burnley (granted, they may change their style under Kompany) wouldn't be great moves for him. How Sunderland will play in a league above where they've been for a few seasons is unknown too. You'd hope that he'd be able to get a move to a club that will be higher up the table than those 3 teams.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 10:16am
I think Kompany will have Burnley playing decent football though might have some teething issues. 

I was reading by a southampton journalist that it hasn't helped him not just the injuries but not having a nailed down position in the first team set up so was used in multiple positions. So wherever he goes hopefully he will get a set role that suits him.

Edited by SC92 - 30 Jun 2022 at 10:42am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 10:37am
I think Smallbone will hopefully do better in a team that plays a central midfield three. The two man central midfield with wide midfielders doesn't really suit him, he struggles in a two at that level so gets played in the wider positions which isn't really his correct position.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 2:40am
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

I think Kompany will have Burnley playing decent football though might have some teething issues. 

I was reading by a southampton journalist that it hasn't helped him not just the injuries but not having a nailed down position in the first team set up so was used in multiple positions. So wherever he goes hopefully he will get a set role that suits him.

tanswell in the athletic? good article if so
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 12:41pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 12:46pm
Would join Kilkenny for the season, which is no bad thing.

I rate both these guys and to have both in the same starting 11 in the Championship would be a joy to watch.
Technical_method View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technical_method Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 12:50pm
A midfield of kilkenny and smallbone really is an exciting prospect, 

kilkenny sits in front of the back line and works the ball forward. Smallbone in the more advanced midfield role links midfield with attack.

Both very technical players 
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 2:29pm
Good to hear, it gives him two weeks to get settled before the start of the championship.
Going to be tough competition in the central midfield areas at Stoke, they have seven central/attacking midfielders in the squad and Smallbone makes it eight now. But Stoke do play with three in midfield alot.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Would join Kilkenny for the season, which is no bad thing.

I rate both these guys and to have both in the same starting 11 in the Championship would be a joy to watch.

That will be an interesting duo playing together Clap
It would damage this forums' reputation
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

kilkenny sits in front of the back line and works the ball forward. Smallbone in the more advanced midfield role links midfield with attack.

Not too far off to say KK would be the Cullen and Smallbone the Hendrick of the pair. Could work very well together. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by Technical_method Technical_method wrote:

Not too far off to say KK would be the Cullen and Smallbone the Hendrick of the pair. Could work very well together. 

Really looking forward to seeing Kilkenny Smallbone Coventry etc this season! We really could do with both and Coventry kicking on again establishing themselves like Molumby has at West Brom! Hendrick is obviously going to be a nailed on squad member in the short term but he does seem to be going the Hourihane or McClean way at club level the "wrong way" per say!

The 4 younger lads your hoping can get to the stage where they are options for Top 6/8 Championship clubs at least And you would hope between Burnley West Brom Southampton and Bournemouth one of our CMs at least will be playing in the PL next season.

Edited by kevin100 - 22 Jul 2022 at 6:02pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 2:42pm
Starts today with Kilkenny on the bench.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 5:42pm
Man of the match today and the Stoke support seem impressed. Might be as well off being away from Southampton this season if today is anything to go by.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 1:23pm
Analysis: Outstanding Will Smallbone transforms Stoke and stakes claim for Irish call-up https://the42.ie/5835857

Looks like Smallbone is playing in a role where he can compete with Knight and, to a lesser extent, Molumby for a spot in the senior side if he can build on the weekend. 

Looked great for the 21s so allying club form with those performances gives him a real chance. 

Edited by Eoink21 - 08 Aug 2022 at 1:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 41>
  Share Topic