You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will majority of fans be in Torun or Gdansk?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2012 at 9:20pm
staying in torun for the duration, if something cheap turns up in gdansk may stay there on match night
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sponsored Links

Twice_Daly View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twice_Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:41pm
gdansk/sopot is where the craic will be IMO, torun is grand for saving a few bob but i dont want to limit myself to staying in one place, plan on getting in a good few places along the way. has anyone here booked for camping in gdansk/sopot yet? the beach looks class, might try spend 2 days in Hel too

Edited by Twice_Daly - 04 Feb 2012 at 10:44pm
NUNS ARE PEOPLE TOO
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:53pm
Based on my experience of Euro2008 you can't beat staying in host cities. One or two nights we stayed in towns away from the games and you'd hardly know there was a major tournament on except for a few out watching the matches. The whole carnival in host cities, with locals getting involved is magic. Haven't fully sorted accommodation yet as hoping something cheaper or more comfortable pops up but we have provisionally booked in Poznan and Gdansk.
Twice_Daly View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twice_Daly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:58pm
nothing against Torun because i havent been to poland yet and only going by the info i can find online but why Torun? just seems people are raving about the place and im wondering if theres something iv missed. each to their own but just wondering if anyone has been here before or what has lads on a horn about it? might try get here for one or two days if its worth a look
NUNS ARE PEOPLE TOO
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

Based on my experience of Euro2008 you can't beat staying in host cities. One or two nights we stayed in towns away from the games and you'd hardly know there was a major tournament on except for a few out watching the matches. The whole carnival in host cities, with locals getting involved is magic. Haven't fully sorted accommodation yet as hoping something cheaper or more comfortable pops up but we have provisionally booked in Poznan and Gdansk.

the best post i've seen on this forum.we ll be in gdansk the 3 nights before the spain game but torun is going to be the place to be before the italy game in poznan because the majority of the irish fans will be there
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
IrishLodz View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishLodz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 12:13am
There will be a few of us alright. A few Irish residents dragging friends & family along. Give us a shout closer to time and we can meet up for a few. 
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Twice_Daly Twice_Daly wrote:

nothing against Torun because i havent been to poland yet and only going by the info i can find online but why Torun? just seems people are raving about the place and im wondering if theres something iv missed. each to their own but just wondering if anyone has been here before or what has lads on a horn about it? might try get here for one or two days if its worth a look
The reason I'm staying in Torun:
It's between Poznan & Gdansk
It's cheap & reasonable
It has good train connections
It's not ripping us off
It seems a nice city
Glennstandish is very helpful
I'm not on a HORN!!!!
TorunThumbs Up
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:03pm
It was the best and most reasonable place to stay perfectly positioned for travel to both games . We got 12 nights b & b for €232 do we jumped at it.

Have checked it out since with poles who live and work on Galway and everyone who had been there said we had made the perfect decision and then one of my friends whose family had bought large farms in Poland told me it was the most beautiful city in Poland and the bars and restaurants were far more reasonable than the ones in poznan and gdansk . Torun is 3 times the size of Galway so it's not a country town as some posters on here have been saying .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:07pm

football would be a bigger deal in Poland than either Austria/Switzerland. Having said that I aint paying stupid money just to stay in host citys any more than I have to ie match day. Any other time I have a decent enough deal ie 15/16 in Gdansk but Poznan/Gdansk havent done them selves any favours 

Saying than spending any time in a 'Euro2012 fan zone' drinking carlsberg/budweiser (piss) in a plastic glass has little attaction but each to their own

'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
MJD View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by dotts101 dotts101 wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

1 night dusseldorf
2nights poznan
2nights torun (if campsite ever replys)
4nights gdansk
2nights poznan
1night dusseldorf

Hopefully 800 will do the trick but only bringing bout 250 and bankcard

You ll be doing well not to spend that unless you re the type of lad that goes to the toilet when its his round Wink.only messin hey.im hopin to have 1300 spending money myself over 16 nights not including accomodation and travel

in a camper so most travel is sorted but thinking 
150e each for petrol
150e campsite accom
50e a day drink and food sticking to the local stuff (50x10=500) 
actually an extra 100e for 2nights in dusseldorf and accom and whatever the lovely lady costs are
tickets are sorted already and will have more in the bank card anyway if needed

150e for campsote accom even though 10 of your nights are in poznan/gdansk?!? If you actually get accomm this cheap please let me know where!! 50e a night each is the cheapest I've seen for a camper in Poznan or Gdansk - based on four of us in a camper.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 10:17pm

You're not comparing like with like. We have one of the biggest travelling contingents, so big that there'll be a buzz in many cities and certainly Torun. Having said that Id prefer to be staying in the host cities but Id rather pay 180 quid for a central hotel in Torun for 12 nights, which I have done, than spend mad money in Poznan or Gdansk which would rule astana and Budapest out for me.

Im still on the look out for reasonably priced accom in Gdansk and Poznan for the night before and night of the games but if it doesnt turn up so be it. One positive about Torun is there's likely to be a lot less clowns around than will most definitely be flooding Poznan and Gdansk. Another is that we wont be moving every 2 days hurling bags around, getting turfed out of your hotel at midday, pain in the arse if you ask me.
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

You're not comparing like with like. We have one of the biggest travelling contingents, so big that there'll be a buzz in many cities and certainly Torun. Having said that Id prefer to be staying in the host cities but Id rather pay 180 quid for a central hotel in Torun for 12 nights, which I have done, than spend mad money in Poznan or Gdansk which would rule astana and Budapest out for me.

Im still on the look out for reasonably priced accom in Gdansk and Poznan for the night before and night of the games but if it doesnt turn up so be it. One positive about Torun is there's likely to be a lot less clowns around than will most definitely be flooding Poznan and Gdansk. Another is that we wont be moving every 2 days hurling bags around, getting turfed out of your hotel at midday, pain in the arse if you ask me.

Agree kerzy, that the large Irish contingent in adjacent cities will create an atmosphere in them towns.
I'm still optimistic reasonably priced rooms will appear
In host cities... Otherwise we'll probably just be staying the night before and of the game in host cities
And elsewhere in between.
Was just giving my experience of Austria and particularly Switzerland
But I suppose that could've been down to the less excitable national
Character of those countries also.

dotts101 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dotts101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:58am
Originally posted by MJD MJD wrote:

1 night dusseldorf
2nights poznan
4nights gdansk
2nights poznan
1night dusseldorf

You ll be doing well not to spend that unless you re the type of lad that goes to the toilet when its his round Wink.only messin hey.im hopin to have 1300 spending money myself over 16 nights not including accomodation and travel

150e each for petrol
150e campsite accom
actually an extra 100e for 2nights in dusseldorf and accom and whatever the lovely lady costs are

150e for campsote accom even though 10 of your nights are in poznan/gdansk?!? If you actually get accomm this cheap please let me know where!! 50e a night each is the cheapest I've seen for a camper in Poznan or Gdansk - based on four of us in a camper.

this place in gdansk working out at about 20e a night, original plan was 3nights there but staying an extra night. will probably end up in lake malta in poznan and still tryna get 2 nights in torun.
http://www.przystanukostka.pl/

place for campervan/60 PLN per day 
> - every person/30 PLN per day
> - electrical hook up/10 PLN per day .

require 50% up front
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:11am
All our matchs are 8:45 p.m. Polish time. There is no need to be there the night before the games. You can easily get to both Poznan and Gdansk by midday on the match days from Torun. I don't see the premium as being worth it, frankly.
MJD View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:13am

1 night dusseldorf
2nights poznan
4nights gdansk
2nights poznan
1night dusseldorf

150e each for petrol
150e campsite accom

this place in gdansk working out at about 20e a night, original plan was 3nights there but staying an extra night. will probably end up in lake malta in poznan and still tryna get 2 nights in torun.

require 50% up front

You're some man...!! Thanks!!

Do they seem genuine enough to be paying a deposit then? And what's the craic with getting back to these sites after a night on the lash after a match, do trains run all night or can we get taxis or what?

I looked at Malta and that was about 50e each a night, isn't that what you found?
dotts101 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dotts101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 1:38am

1 night dusseldorf
2nights poznan
4nights gdansk
2nights poznan
1night dusseldorf

150e each for petrol
150e campsite accom

require 50% up front

You're some man...!! Thanks!!

Do they seem genuine enough to be paying a deposit then? And what's the craic with getting back to these sites after a night on the lash after a match, do trains run all night or can we get taxis or what?

I looked at Malta and that was about 50e each a night, isn't that what you found?

they have been handy to deal with email regular enough and most places i hear from others on here that they look for deposit. i did it in the bank myself so have the paper trail anyway. there was another place in gdansk offering similiar price to lake malta and is right beside beach but this place saves us about 30e each. not too sure about distance from gdansk center but id say taxis wouldnt be a problem

malta  One night costs:
50PLN per each person
200PLN per camper

so 200/3=63+50=113z is about 30e a night!! dunno where getting 50e.
daboi89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daboi89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 3:10am
Emailing several places over the last few days...  Have places booked for meself but 2 more are now coming and there seems to be nothing for cheap out there..
dreamer View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 7:55am
going to try spend a few night in sopot seems the biz
every dog has there day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic