You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 24>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

I'd agree with others although he has started to score in league one of late, I'd rather invest in one of the younger lads. I'd have parrott and scully ahead of him.

So in a NL game (I don't care about friendlies), you'd pick a L1 striker (Parrott) who's not a starter, not scoring and making zero impact over a L1 striker who starts, scores and makes a considerable impact (Keane). That makes sense. 

Parrott is a teenager with really good experience in men's football. He has 2 senior goals already and looks like he has great potential

I'd have him back in the u21s for now but it's a long term investment with him. I think further down the line he'll be a bigger player for us than Keane. Nothing wrong with investing in him now.
 Parrott is promising - but currently Keane is a better option. Forget the regeneration and long-project narrative. By his own comments Kenny has declared results are now imperative - and that means picking a team to win the next game - not the one three or four years down the line. 

Edited by Mr Brick - 19 Jan 2022 at 11:47am
Sponsored Links

Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Against the might might Morecambe

Brilliant because some of our other forwards like parrott would probably struggle to score against the might morecambe.

Always said, dont care what league our forwards are in. If they're scoring consistently at a half decent level (including league 1 or loi), it's a positive. I'd be playing them over other forwards who aren't playing or who are struggling to score (obvious Exceptions of course). Forwards thrive on confidence 

Edited by Wheelo - 19 Jan 2022 at 12:10pm
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Against the might might Morecambe

Brilliant because some of our other forwards like parrott would probably struggle to score against the might morecambe.

Always said, dont care what league our forwards are in. If they're scoring consistently at a half decent level (including league 1 or loi), it's a positive. I'd be playing them over other forwards who aren't playing or who are struggling to score (obvious Exceptions of course). Forwards thrive on confidence 

If the goal was against 80% of the other L1 teams, i wouldn't have remarked. It's just that it's Morecambe. A club i know little about but for some reason in my head, would have associated with being non league. That's all. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 12:24pm
1 goal in 10.25 games at Championship level. 1 goal in 13.66 games from open play at Championship level.

Excuse me if I'm not throwing my panties at him like he's Tom Jones.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 12:31pm
You’re a strange character HH. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

So personal!

Says the 33 year old who posts more emojis than my niece.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 12:56pm

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

1 goal in 10.25 games at Championship level. 1 goal in 13.66 games from open play at Championship level.

Excuse me if I'm not throwing my panties at him like he's Tom Jones.

A little reductionist to ignore all other contributions on the pitch...

My advice is to not throw your panties at anyone, I dont think Tom Jones has ever thrown his panties at parrott either.

I've seen him play at Championship level and he's not the "10" some people seem to think he is either...

Marcus Harness can play as a 10 at League One level and look like a world beater. 

He also had to drop down from Championship level to get game time.

In the past it was Hogan and Collins. Right now it's Keane. In the future it will be someone else of that ilk.

We'd be better served persevering with the Parrott's and the Idah's unless it's a Bamford-type player declaring for us.

Keane and his 4 goal a season average at Championship level is not the answer to our productivity problems.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:06pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

So personal!

Says the 33 year old who posts more emojis than my niece.

Creep.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:06pm

[QUOTE=Left foot][QUOTE=Hotlips_Hoolahan]1 goal in 10.25 games at Championship level. 1 goal in 13.66 games from open play at Championship level.

Excuse me if I'm not throwing I've seen him play at Championship level and he's not the "10" some people seem to think he is either...

Marcus Harness can play as a 10 at League One level and look like a world beater. 

He also had to drop down from Championship level to get game time.

In the past it was Hogan and Collins. Right now it's Keane. In the future it will be someone else of that ilk.

We'd be better served persevering with the Parrott's and the Idah's unless it's a Bamford-type player declaring for us.

Keane and his 4 goal a season average at Championship level is not the answer to our productivity problems.

Quoting goals per game stats over an injury plauged career is irrelevant. However your overall point may well be correct. Taking this season on its merits he does seem to have moved his performance to a new level and maybe that is because he is getting an injury free run or maybe it's because it is L1.

I think he is worth a shot because nobody is putting pressure on him and the bit I have seen of him he seems to have the game intelligence that we are lacking since Mcgoldrick quit. I think his style would add nice balance and bring on Idah.
It's not me it's you:-)
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:27pm
all his goals this season are from open play.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:57pm
To say he's a 10 for Ireland is stretching it. He's a similar type option to Idah or Mcgoldrick a target man and an alternative to Idah in this sense. I also don't doubt he's a Championship quality player and would be now at least if not for injuries throughout his life. He's proving well able for League 1 with a good run of games.

Im hoping he gets a run in the March friendlies let's check him out and see. No harm in it.

Edited by kevin100 - 19 Jan 2022 at 1:57pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

A 29 year old with 6 career goals from open play in the Championship over the course of the equivalent of two full campaigns. This is who we're pinning our hopes on now?

I think David McGoldrick's contributions for us were greatly exaggerated, and for all his deft touches, we generally carved out f**k all chances in the final third, but he's miles ahead of Keane in terms of quality.

But by all means, if people want to convince themselves that he's the answer based on a 30 second cameo in one game and the first good goalscoring campaign of his career, that's their prerogative.

Ross Stewart has twice as many goals as he does and wouldn't get within an arse's roar of the Scotland squad.

Short-term pain, long-term gain should be our motto going forward. Persevere with the young lads. Idah is already benefiting at club level from the game time Kenny gave him with us.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 19 Jan 2022 at 2:30pm
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:05pm
Its an asses roar, the phrase. As in the animal. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:24pm

A 29 year old with 6 career goals from open play in the Championship over the course of the equivalent of two full campaigns. This is who we're pinning our hopes on now?

I think David McGoldrick's contributions for us were greatly exaggerated, and for all his deft touches, we generally carved out f**k all chances in the final third, but he's miles ahead of Keane in terms of quality.

But by all means, if people want to convince themselves that he's the answer based on a 30 second cameo in one game and the first good goalscoring campaign of his career, that's their prerogative.

Ross Stewart has twice as many goals as he does and wouldn't get within an arse's roar of the Scotland squad.

Short-term pain, long-term gain should be our motto going forward. Persevere with the young lads. Idah is already benefiting at club level from the game time Kenny gave him with us.

Keane doesnt play as an out and out forward though, he'd be plying for one of the slots in behind the striker where McGrath, Horgan and Ogbene have been playing.

Is he really any worse than any of them?

Horgan and Ogbene have 1 goal between them in League One this season. Horgan cant even get his game! McGrath only marginally better has 2 goals in the SPL which is there and there abouts the standard of League One.

You really need to stop looking at stats so black and white, you do it in every thread on here.

Will Keane has had an injury plagued career up until last season. That simply cannot be ignored. He never got a run of more than 7 or 8 games concurrently before getting injured rinse and repeat. Up until this season he never managed 90 minutes more than 3 games in a row. When he did get a run however short he'd score.

Hes finally got a clear run of it and is flying form the last year. Whatever he done before that is irrelevant.

I've watched Wigan play several times this season and I think he has the attributes to bring goals from an area were struggling to score goals from as well as link the play. Hes excellent in the air too, scores a lot of headed goals, something we're lacking in too.

I think he just fits the system and should be given a chance.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:24pm
Not pining hopes on him but he deserves a chance. Look at Ogbene who got a chance despite not absolutely tearing it up at L1 level and he has contributed 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Keane doesnt play as an out and out forward though, he'd be plying for one of the slots in behind the striker where McGrath, Horgan and Ogbene have been playing.

Is he really any worse than any of them?

Horgan and Ogbene have 1 goal between them in League One this season. Horgan cant even get his game! McGrath only marginally better has 2 goals in the SPL which is there and there abouts the standard of League One.

You really need to stop looking at stats so black and white, you do it in every thread on here.

Will Keane has had an injury plagued career up until last season. That simply cannot be ignored. He never got a run of more than 7 or 8 games concurrently before getting injured rinse and repeat. Up until this season he never managed 90 minutes more than 3 games in a row. When he did get a run however short he'd score.

Hes finally got a clear run of it and is flying form the last year. Whatever he done before that is irrelevant.

I've watched Wigan play several times this season and I think he has the attributes to bring goals from an area were struggling to score goals from as well as link the play. Hes excellent in the air too, scores a lot of headed goals, something we're lacking in too.

I think he just fits the system and should be given a chance.

Keane didn't play as a "10" when he was playing in the Championship. He played as an out and out striker. Does that add enough context to him averaging a goal every 13 games?

And yes, I would say Ogbene and McGrath are better options than him. McGrath's done it on the pitch in several Intl games and has done enough to attract interest from PL and Championship teams. Ogbene made more of an impression at Championship level and his own coaches believe he has a higher ceiling than that, and even believed they would've stayed up if he was fit for the whole campaign where they got relegated. And, like McGrath, he's proved himself in several Intl games.

"Black and white"? I'm not being black and white, or "binary" (another one of your favourite words). If I was being binary, I'd pick on Ogbene for his unremarkable stats.

There's a video released on Norwich's Twitter of Idah's "10" play. And this two levels above Keane in the football pyramid. We'd be better served cultivating that rather than expecting a 29 year old to get up to the required speed.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 19 Jan 2022 at 3:51pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 3:29pm
Scored his 13th goal of the season there.

4 goals in his last 4 games.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Scored his 13th goal of the season there.

4 goals in his last 4 games.

Scores a second Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 24>
  Share Topic