You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 24>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 4:27pm
Scores.

Thats his 11th league goal in 22 appearances this season. All from open play.

Sponsored Links

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:38pm
Goal #12
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:51pm
Against the might might Morecambe
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:54pm
Apart from the weekend with Idah, had we any strikers scoring goals against any teams let alone 'mighty' teams?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Apart from the weekend with Idah, had we any strikers scoring goals against any teams let alone 'mighty' teams?

I was surprised to see Morecambe were in L1 tbh. Thought they were non league. 

And no, we all know our striker department is seriously lacking. 

AS YOU WERE McGx

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Against the might might Morecambe

If it was Anthony Scully balls.ie and joe.ie would be dishing out the articles like hot cakes.

Keanes having an excellent season and I think he can do a job for us in of the slots behind the main striker. McGrath, Horgan and Ogbene have been playing there and havent been setting the world alight. Horgan cant even get a game in League One and Ogbene only has goal there this season, or 2 over the course of 3 seasons there. McGrath has one or two to his name? Not enough either way.

Keane a decent impact in the few minutes he came on against Portugal, was the one that kept the ball alive for the disallowed goal in injury time.

Would like to see more of him in the March friendlies.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:04pm
Ah come on. Keane was on the pitch for about 90 seconds in that game. How much of a difference could he, or anyone, make in that length of time. Even Ogbene had more than one flashpoint against Hungary.

We've been down this road before with a veteran striker, a late blooming James Collins scoring goals for fun before struggling higher up the pyramid and looking lost at Intl level. Similarly, Eoin Doyle struggling at Preston and Cardiff.

Find it hard to get excited by this chap. Held out for England and settled for us after averaging about 1 in 10 at Championship level and dropping down the levels...
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Ah come on. Keane was on the pitch for about 90 seconds in that game. How much of a difference could he, or anyone, make in that length of time. Even Ogbene had more than one flashpoint against Hungary.

We've been down this road before with a veteran striker, a late blooming James Collins scoring goals for fun before struggling higher up the pyramid and looking lost at Intl level. Similarly, Eoin Doyle struggling at Preston and Cardiff.

Find it hard to get excited by this chap. Held out for England and settled for us after averaging about 1 in 10 at Championship level and dropping down the levels...

Im the same. Just have no real enthusiasm for this guy. Id rather we persisted with the young guys and develop them. 
I love beer gardens
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 11:09pm
If it was any other position I'd agree I would be a bit disappointed if Kilkenny wasn't brought in for the March friendlies over the likes of Hourihane for context. 

Attack is slightly different and Robinson Ogbene and potentially Keane does take the pressure off the younger lads to produce and allows them to develop away at club level. 
Idah and Connolly with a run of games are obvious squad players for sure you might see Idah start the first Nations League game. It's no harm to have Robinson and Ogbene scoring taking the pressure off the younger lads and Keane is worth a go in the March friendlies to see if he can be an asset.

Every chance he's playing Championship football next year too Keane.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 11:27pm
Keane is a player I definitely wouldn't rule out making an impact. He seems an intelligent player. We have seen other L1 players make an impact for us. 
Most likely he is a championship player next year too as others have said. 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I'd agree with others although he has started to score in league one of late, I'd rather invest in one of the younger lads. I'd have parrott and scully ahead of him.

So in a NL game (I don't care about friendlies), you'd pick a L1 striker (Parrott) who's not a starter, not scoring and making zero impact over a L1 striker who starts, scores and makes a considerable impact (Keane). That makes sense. 

Edited by Mr Brick - 19 Jan 2022 at 1:59am
Birdcracker View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birdcracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:50am
This guy is scoring goals. He is doing a lot better than every other striker we have despite what level he is playing at. He is doing what he gets paid for  Give him a chance for feck sake. If it doesn't work out so be it but we need a goal scorer and he may just be the one. 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 8:37am
he’s a goal scorer and he’s flying at the moment.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:49am
Doing well but at L1. 

I like him. He's had a rough career with injury. Declared for us a long time ago and only called up last year. No issue turning up, and sitting on the bench getting a minute at the end of portugal game. Seems to have a good attitude.

Some may question his motives but in not sure at his age with his injury profile how heading off with Ireland help his club career 

Worth a shot, especially as others are not exactly shooting the lights out
It's not me it's you:-)
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:51am
Another player who clearly divides opinion here (partly I'd say because of the 'holding out for England' thing) - but I think he's worth a shot. I'm all for giving the younger lads a chance but Keane's performing far better at L1 level than the likes of Troy Parrott. 12 goals is a good return, and I might be corrected but not any/many were penalties, so he's a genuine goalscorer and might well fit into the type of system that Kenny plays.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:21am
I'd have Keane in the March squad miles ahead of Parrott, who I'd have with the 21's.

Scully would also be ahead of Parrott in the pecking order, if we're being honest.  Older and more established and clearly a more effective player at this stage of their careers at the same level.

The last squad had 7 forwards named, and of those I'd be dropping Parrott for Scully and Horgan for Connolly for the March matches, if all fit and playing (semi) regularly.
That would give us:
Robinson, Idah, Keane, Ogbene, Connolly, Scully, Collins.

Edited by Fozz - 19 Jan 2022 at 10:21am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:21am
Nice to see him string some consistent performances together for the first time in his career, in his 30th year. 

If he scores a few for us, great, delighted. But at 29 years of age, the lad has less than 40 senior goals. Lousy return. Jon Goodman-esque.
AS YOU WERE McGx

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:59am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Nice to see him string some consistent performances together for the first time in his career, in his 30th year. 

If he scores a few for us, great, delighted. But at 29 years of age, the lad has less than 40 senior goals. Lousy return. Jon Goodman-esque.
You're right - but it's an injury-plagued career of just 178 appearances, many from the bench. He averages a goal every five games. At this point in time he's deserves a start before Parrott, Connolly and Idah. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 24>
  Share Topic