You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 24>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 6:17pm
He may certainly have pride in his Irish roots and all that. They really ought to just leave it out and bring him into the squad quietly tbh with the clear context behind it.

If he wants to play for us good luck to him. Think hes a decent player plagued by injuries definitely better then a League 1 player. Outside of James Collins he's the only alternative to Idah really. This is where we are at as regards attacking players primarily League 1 players or younger players in PL teams mainly off the bench (Idah Connolly). Options are limited. 

I do think Hogan was worth a look at O'Dowdas expense tbh. We need players who score O'Dowda doesnt score. 

Edited by kevin100 - 09 Nov 2021 at 6:18pm
Sponsored Links

mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I think Will Keane is a better player than Hogan and Mcguire, stats may look similar but Keane has been hit with a couple of serious injuries.

He looks to be getting a real foothold in a team now a d I think he'll improve.

I'm not happy defending him as he clearly sees ireland as his second choice national team and selected to represent England when he was at Manchester United.

I dont mean like Robinson, who probably didn't know much about qualifying for us, I mean he had the two options and chose England.

what do u mean by this?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

I think Will Keane is a better player than Hogan and Mcguire, stats may look similar but Keane has been hit with a couple of serious injuries.

I'm not happy defending him as he clearly sees ireland as his second choice national team and selected to represent England when he was at Manchester United.

I dont mean like Robinson, who probably didn't know much about qualifying for us, I mean he had the two options and chose England.

what do u mean by this?

The two Keane twins were at Man utd together, Will Keane was by far the more highly rated than his defender brother Michael. 

At underage football level, Will Keane chose to represent England and the less highly rated brother at the time, Michael chose to represent Ireland.

Michael however started to put in some really good defensive performances and jumped ship to England when he thought caps were achievable. Clearly always his preferred choice.

Will Keanes career hit skids due to injury and seeing as an England cap is off the table has clearly settled for ireland.
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 8:45pm
Was very surprised to see him back in the squad when he didn't feature at all in the last round of games. But with JCollins out now he has a small chance of coming on as a sub? If either game is close. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 8:53pm
He was injured during the last round of games I think? He could well be in with a shot of getting a few mins this week

Edited by greenshoots - 09 Nov 2021 at 9:11pm
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 9:00pm

Originally posted by mully_85 mully_85 wrote:

what do u mean by this?

The two Keane twins were at Man utd together, Will Keane was by far the more highly rated than his defender brother Michael. 

At underage football level, Will Keane chose to represent England and the less highly rated brother at the time, Michael chose to represent Ireland.

Michael however started to put in some really good defensive performances and jumped ship to England when he thought caps were achievable. Clearly always his preferred choice.

Will Keanes career hit skids due to injury and seeing as an England cap is off the table has clearly settled for ireland.

sorry i meant more about what was rhe reference to robinson about?
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

He was injured during the last round of games I think? He could well be in with a shot of getting a few mins this week

No, he just wasn't used. Kenny probably just wanted to get a look at him in training/give him time to get used to the system, rather than just throwing him straight in. Can't see him playing vs Portugal but might get some minutes vs Lux.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

No, he just wasn't used. Kenny probably just wanted to get a look at him in training/give him time to get used to the system, rather than just throwing him straight in. Can't see him playing vs Portugal but might get some minutes vs Lux.

He was, he picked up a groin injury in training.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/keane-missed-ireland-games-because-25204537

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2021 at 11:44am
He came across well in the press conference yesterday. 

Hopefully he'll be a good addition to the squad. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 8:01pm
Having an excellent season, scored his 8th league goal last night in their come back from 2-0 down.

Took his goal well (1.35 mark)

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 3:42pm
Has just scored his 9th of the season this afternoon.

Really want to see this lad given a proper chance in March, I think he'll flourish in ourside as one of the 2 behind the striker. Himself and Robinson would be a good pair to rotate throughout games and be able to go from 3-4-2-1 to 3-4-1-2 seamlessly.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Really want to see this lad given a proper chance in March, I think he'll flourish in ourside as one of the 2 behind the striker. Himself and Robinson would be a good pair to rotate throughout games and be able to go from 3-4-2-1 to 3-4-1-2 seamlessly.

Let's just temper this expectation with a reminder that Eoin Doyle scored 21 in half a season at the same level and Will Keane had a 1 in 10 record at Championship level while generally faring poorly. He's also 29 in January.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Let's just temper this expectation with a reminder that Eoin Doyle scored 21 in half a season at the same level and Will Keane had a 1 in 10 record at Championship level while generally faring poorly. He's also 29 in January.
Aye, but Will’s turning his back on Engerland to play for us!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 5:35pm
He is down for an assist for Wigan's second goal too
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Will Keanes record prior to this and last season can be pretty much disregarded due to the sheer amount of injuries and length of times he was out between games. He'd play 2 or 3 games and then be out for the next 10 rinse and repeat. A closer look at his record and you will see that when he gets a run of games he scores.

Hes also more an AM than out and out CF, comparing him to Doyle is wrong but FYI I was an advocate for Doyles inclusion in the past and still would be if he was a few years younger and still scoring those numbers.

I mean a better example would be Ogbene who has had a very mediocre club career to date playing in the same league as Keane yet has slotted into the Ireland setup seamlessly and put in some phenomenal performances.

Im not saying Keane will be the answer to all our problems, or that it will even work out for him at this level but I just think he has something that we're currently missing which is goals & assists from that midfield area.

He looked good in his short cameo against Portugal. Id like to see him get a start in a friendly and given a chance to see what he can do.

Like he is competition with McGrath, Horgan and Ogbene. All much of the same standard of player on paper.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 11:51pm
WK looks to have a very good first touch and good hold up play. A bit like Mcgoldrick. Idah would benefit from watching closely because if he can sort that out he has the athletic and physical attributes to be very good. 

Keane in the squad is a decent option as he has suffering different to the others. 
It's not me it's you:-)
Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 4:31pm
scores today
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 5:21pm
Got an assist for Wigan's first goal. Fifth assist of the season in all comps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 24>
  Share Topic