Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Racism in Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 27>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2018 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I watched the two  parts of 'Out of Their Skin' there. I really enjoyed them and Wright wasn't anywhere near as annoying as usual. The only thing that annoyed me was the bit where they were trying to imply race was behind why people don't like Ashley Cole. It really isn't! In fairness to Ince, he diplomatically said that fans couldn't identify with him.

I hadn't heard the Cloughie story Viv Anderson spun, top class!

LOL

Yeah nothing to do with him being a complete c**t of course 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 4:11am

I watched the two  parts of 'Out of Their Skin' there. I really enjoyed them and Wright wasn't anywhere near as annoying as usual. The only thing that annoyed me was the bit where they were trying to imply race was behind why people don't like Ashley Cole. It really isn't! In fairness to Ince, he diplomatically said that fans couldn't identify with him.

Looking forward to seeing that documentary. I may be biased as an Arsenal fan but I've never understood that grief Ian Wright gets. Has improved as a pundit now that he has been able to ditch the "cheeky chappy" role the BBC wanted him to play. 

On the other hand, Ashley Cole is a c*nt, and racism plays no part in that at all.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 8:32am

What was the Cloughie story? 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

What was the Cloughie story? 
Viv Anderson was a young sub at an away game, I am not sure where, and Cloughie told him to warm up. A few minutes later, Cloughie turns around and sees Anderson on the bench. "I thought I told you to warm up?"
"I did boss, but the racists are throwing fruit at me. Not just bananas but apples and pears"
"Go get me two pears and a banana then and don't let them win"

Was that a serious comment about Ian Wright? It can't be! I could write a book on why he is a f**king idiot, but this sums it all up succinctly.

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 10:01pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 2:56am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

The Italian leagues are very political. 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 6:54am

Police arrested a 17-year-old male for a "racially aggravated public order offence" prior to the Spurs v Chelsea League Cup semi last night.

Its not known if the man was a Chelsea or Spurs fan at this point?

Edited by Double Maxim - 09 Jan 2019 at 6:22pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 3:24pm
Tottenham Ladies defender Renee Hector says she was subjected to racist abuse by a Sheffield United player during Sunday's game.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 5:34pm

Paris St-Germain have been fined 100,000 euros (£87,691) for racially profiling youth players.

French website Mediapart published documents showing signings being identified by their ethnicity.

It is against French law to collect personal data revealing an individual's racial or ethnic origins.

The French league (LFP) disciplinary commission, which issued the fine, said PSG did not use the data for discriminatory purposes

UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 3:50pm
Nottingham Forest FC's racism indicator increased with the announcement of Roy Keane as Assistant Manager
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 10:53pm
Liam Neeson checking in here 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Liam Neeson checking in here 
Who could have imagined a racist from Ballymena?

Joking aside, I think Neeson is to be commended here. He is obviously going to get a lot of slack from people who will just read the quote, but it is this sort of change in people that society should be trying to achieve. Hopefully it doesn't become a witch hunt and a proper debate can be had that leads to other people realising why he was wrong and he can hopefully help them. We can't pretend that racism has never existed or that nobody has ever had racist views at one point or another, it is the change that is important here, not how he felt years ago. 

By the way, what hunger strikers did he know?

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 4:35am
Any chance by blacks he meant Loyalists?

Surely he would have expected the backlash and realised that no positive headlines would come from it, especially with today's clickbait media.

I don't believe he's a racist, but was certainly naive on this occasion.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:20am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

He probably was naïve alright. It was intended to be an anecdote of how he grew as a person as a result of a terrible experience 40 odd years ago, but as you say these days few people have little interest reading past the headline. There is zero room for any form of nuanced discussion in modern society.

The premiere of that film he was promoting was cancelled in NYE last night.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

He probably was naïve alright. It was intended to be an anecdote of how he grew as a person as a result of a terrible experience 40 odd years ago, but as you say these days few people have little interest reading past the headline. There is zero room for any form of nuanced discussion in modern society.

Image result for snowflakes everywhere gif

I don't think he meant it as racist at all, as you say it was more of an anecdote of how you can do thinks in a moment of angry he even said in the interview that he would have had the same view had the person said the person was white, Irish, Scottish, Lithuanian or whatever
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Image result for snowflakes everywhere gif

I don't think he meant it as racist at all, as you say it was more of an anecdote of how you can do thinks in a moment of angry he even said in the interview that he would have had the same view had the person said the person was white, Irish, Scottish, Lithuanian or whatever
It wasn't an anecdote and he certainly meant it to show his racist reaction in a moment of extreme anger, the purpose of which was to show other people that such thinking is irrational and wrong. You are correct though, the reaction is symptomatic of current society in that it is entirely without thought. The media's sensationalist reporting of it doesn't help. They should be focusing on the change, that he has learned how wrong his reaction was. That doesn't sell papers, saying a well-known actor is a racist does.
The fact that he references his own background and the cycle of violence in the north means it was far more than anecdotal, that it came from self-reflection and his own awareness that his status could lead to it doing good, but that seems somewhat lost now.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 4:38pm
The fact that Piers Morgan and Lily Allen are on the same side in going after Neeson speaks volumes.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

The fact that Piers Morgan and Lily Allen are on the same side in going after Neeson speaks volumes.
The funny thing is, when Neeson made genuinely backward remarks during the initial #metoo movement he was ignored, or at least not hounded like he is now, when he is trying to the right thing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 27>
  Share Topic