You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Racism in Football

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 27>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:00am
If this was Ireland, what would people accept as a punishment? Expulsion from Euro2020? Expulsion from next WC qualifiers? Clubs out of Europe for 3 years?

I'm guessing seeing as the protocol is game behind closed doors, that'll be UEFA's response again.

FWIW I'd throw the book at them, out of next 2 qualifying campaigns, and no teams in Europe for 5 years. You have to make an example somewhere
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Turned the game off after it was 3-0.  What happened?  I thought the England players said they would walk off?  Just shows their principles went out the window when qualification was almost secured.  Idol threats.  They themselves have set back anti racism by not walking off like they said they would. 

Imagine every team that is racially abused walked off and refused to play on? Abandoned games would become commonplace and FIFA/UEFA would be made to come down hard on the offending teams in order to complete qualification games.  That's the only way to stamp this sh*t out.

UEFA have made a big deal about introducing protocol, they have to abide by that

No problem with that but was watching Sky in the last couple of days and the fighting talk was that if one of the players got racist abuse he would walk off on the 1st monkey chant and all the team were adamant that they would walk off in solidarity in spite of the protocol.

Since they didn't they went back on their word and the threat to have the game abandoned was an idle one. To me it undermined their own stance. They were making out an anti racist stance is more important than the result of a football game but when push came to shove they decided the result of the game was more important and played on.

Walking off would have made huge headlines and hit home harder in UEFA.

You have a point to be fair. Albeit one that Mr. Ronay of the Guardian does not appear to support...

"One thing is certain: the England team can be hugely proud of their grace under pressure. There was something majestic about those red shirts, still abused periodically but determined to see this through."
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:41am

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Turned the game off after it was 3-0.  What happened?  I thought the England players said they would walk off?  Just shows their principles went out the window when qualification was almost secured.  Idol threats.  They themselves have set back anti racism by not walking off like they said they would. 

Imagine every team that is racially abused walked off and refused to play on? Abandoned games would become commonplace and FIFA/UEFA would be made to come down hard on the offending teams in order to complete qualification games.  That's the only way to stamp this sh*t out.

UEFA have made a big deal about introducing protocol, they have to abide by that

No problem with that but was watching Sky in the last couple of days and the fighting talk was that if one of the players got racist abuse he would walk off on the 1st monkey chant and all the team were adamant that they would walk off in solidarity in spite of the protocol.

Since they didn't they went back on their word and the threat to have the game abandoned was an idle one. To me it undermined their own stance. They were making out an anti racist stance is more important than the result of a football game but when push came to shove they decided the result of the game was more important and played on.

Walking off would have made huge headlines and hit home harder in UEFA.

did they? I was watching Sky too and all the chat was that they would abide by the protocol. It seems like one quote got taken out of line by the media

everything I saw looked like Southgate was pleased UEFA finally had something in place and they said they would follow it

straight away last night Kane took charge as did Southgate

most people expected it to get to stage 3 last night so presumably the players did too and just went through the motions expecting it to get abandoned
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:00am
Originally posted by inlikeflynn inlikeflynn wrote:

England’s fans are no angels themselves. 

From the looks of things, they have torn Sophia and Prague apart over the past few nights. 

Going to a foreign country, getting drunk and then fighting with local hooligans and the police is hardly tolerant. 

These yobs will probably be delighted with no deal Brexit as there will be less chance of their criminal record following them back to England. 

The poor girl
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:36am
Have a mate of mine, relatively normal well-adjusted English bloke wondering why people are turning the focus back upon England after last night and why they aren't just coming out and condemning the Bulgarians outright.

I find the media coverage of this whole affair nauseating. It serves to highlight how awful and shocking last night was and how uncivilised these foreigners are, at the same time attempting to absolve the past, as the coverage stinks of moral superiority. Tommy Robinson had a heroes welcome in Portugal, there was no FA statement or comments from Southgate then. Stan Collymore, racially abused in his own country for years, asked on Piers Morgan's show to say stuff about how brave the English lads were against the big bad Bulgarians. No English media has ever incited hatred on Raheem Sterling, this last night was an absolute first and shocking.

What happened last night was disgraceful, of course it was. But the moral pontificating from people who perpetuate dog-whistle politics about black players in the media is a bit much for me to stomach.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 15 Oct 2019 at 10:38am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:05am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Have a mate of mine, relatively normal well-adjusted English bloke wondering why people are turning the focus back upon England after last night and why they aren't just coming out and condemning the Bulgarians outright.

I find the media coverage of this whole affair nauseating. It serves to highlight how awful and shocking last night was and how uncivilised these foreigners are, at the same time attempting to absolve the past, as the coverage stinks of moral superiority. Tommy Robinson had a heroes welcome in Portugal, there was no FA statement or comments from Southgate then. Stan Collymore, racially abused in his own country for years, asked on Piers Morgan's show to say stuff about how brave the English lads were against the big bad Bulgarians. No English media has ever incited hatred on Raheem Sterling, this last night was an absolute first and shocking.

What happened last night was disgraceful, of course it was. But the moral pontificating from people who perpetuate dog-whistle politics about black players in the media is a bit much for me to stomach.
ClapClapClap
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
keith11 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keith11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:06am
I have to agree that while the players actions were commendable the media and FA side of it disgusts me.  The English FA has done very little to stop their own fans smashing up cities everywhere they go and there isnt an England game that goes by without chants of "No Surrender to the IRA" and "10 German Bombers in the Sky".   They were smashing up Prague only days ago and chucking bottles at the police and there was nothing from the FA and very little coverage in the press as they decided to point the attention at the Bulgaria game instead and threats of walking out.

To see the FA and the English media hold themselves up as moral guardians is stomach turning.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

If this was Ireland, what would people accept as a punishment? Expulsion from Euro2020? Expulsion from next WC qualifiers? Clubs out of Europe for 3 years?

I'm guessing seeing as the protocol is game behind closed doors, that'll be UEFA's response again.

FWIW I'd throw the book at them, out of next 2 qualifying campaigns, and no teams in Europe for 5 years. You have to make an example somewhere

At least that would be our excuse for not qualifying sorted then!

On a serious note, I agree fully with OTOR's post. The members of the Bulgarian support who partook in the racist chanting/salute are shameful, and the actions of the manager are even worse. Also, I see the Bulgarian Shane Ross is jumping on the bandwagon and is asking the Bulgarian JD to resign.

I think a lot of us are looking at the outrage from England fans and media sceptically, but UEFA need to make a big stand on this. Competitive ban and a huge fine should be the consequence.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 12:38pm
Bulgarian coach being a bit of a s**t.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 12:43pm
Throwing them out would be unnecessary. All world cup 2022 home qualifiers behind closed doors would be fair. 
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Bulgarian coach being a bit of a s**t.
Cry

I loved him as a player.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 8:01am
What was written on the Liverpool fans banner last night at their game against Gent that was supposed to be racist?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

What was written on the Liverpool fans banner last night at their game against Gent that was supposed to be racist?

A picture of the Whatsapp guy with the big schlong with Origi's face photoshopped onto it!
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 10:32am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

A picture of the Whatsapp guy with the big schlong with Origi's face photoshopped onto it!

Thanks for that Podge.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 10:41am
Bit like the Lukaku song at Old Trafford a few years ago about "twelve ince penis"

Racist

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 10:41am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Onto his schlong?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 11:01am
Where is the wall to wall coverage of this on sky sports news like there was a few weeks ago about the Bernardo Silva tweet?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Where is the wall to wall coverage of this on sky sports news like there was a few weeks ago about the Bernardo Silva tweet?

What Liverpool player put the banner up?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 27>
  Share Topic