You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why go to Irish bars on away trips?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:00am
Hold up, you are not a big drinker but every night you are off, you seem to be on here sinking jack daniels. Is your whole life a contradiction? Do you suffer from short term memory loss?
Sponsored Links

SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:03am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Hold up, you are not a big drinker but every night you are off, you seem to be on here sinking jack daniels. Is your whole life a contradiction? Do you suffer from short term memory loss?

As in beer, I'm not going to stand in the middle of a square drinking a bottle of Whiskey PM. FFS man. 

Id prefer to chill in a hotel with my glass of jack daniels Clap
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:08am
Ah right, you don't drink, except for bottles of jack daniels
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:09am

I can understand it on an away trip but a weekend away? A waste

Tell me about it , the last day a few of the lads managed to venture away from O'Reillys and couldn't believe there was other places . I would be the opposite and head off no see what else there is to offer
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:10am

I don't drink beer or cider no LOL a few glasses a night when I'm off PM. Which isn't tonight Cry

irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:15am
I understand the mentality of some lads were the away trips are a rare break away from family life and all they want is a pub to sit in with their mates and have a bit of craic. I'd far rather explore the city and also not be gouged by Irish bar prices. I'll go to one to watch GAA or if there's an Irish match on but otherwise I try to avoid the places. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:26am

LOLLOL

When I'm passed out in the middle of Albufeira from all that Vodka "Don't worry lads, I don't drink" 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:27am
One of the best nights we had in Tbilisi was up in some local bars in an area a few young wans recommended to us. We were in McClarens when one of the lads got talking to them so we hopped into a taxi and headed up there. There were a few other paddies up there but not too many. We had a right laugh with the locals.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:29am
Personally, I don't see the attraction of Irish pubs abroad. Would much rather head somewhere full of locals.

I'd imagine though that many people on here, and in general, don't really like 'travelling', per se.
They just want to get away from work/the missus/the rain and have a few scoops of lager in a bar with English-speaking staff.
I'd compare those who sit in an Irish bar all day to those who go on 'sun' holidays.
They could be in Spain, Portugal, Greece, Cuba, Turkey, etc., the country is irrelevant. They're just looking for sunny weather and a few pints.
So for some Irish fans, it doesn't matter if we're in Germany, Georgia or Kazakhstan. They're not there for the culture or sightseeing, so the Irish bar will do grand.

It's not what I look for from an away trip, but each to their own.
City Till I Die
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:34am
Good the night before the match to get the craic and the songs in...

But while away worth finding out the local gems of pubs on the other nights
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 11:54am
The euros and poland away were great trips with no irish pubs but the culture of sitting down waiting on a waiter to pass when you could have downed another two pints in the same time and when the beer does come down the glass in only 3/4 full to the 1/2 litre mark and the head is 3 inches big.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:21pm
Funny you mentioned Skopje the Irish Bar there was one of the best on any trip with the prices actually reduced for us. The man never sold as much drink in 6 months.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 12:59pm
I love the way a few people on here classify "drinking in local bars" as culture .....  LOL

keitho5 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keitho5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I love the way a few people on here classify "drinking in local bars" as culture .....  LOL

LOLLOLLOL
Oooooooooohhhhhh yes sir......
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:07pm

Trying how many shots of Vodka they put in in their bars is culture in my eyes
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:09pm
Why would anyone care what someone else gets up to.   
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:11pm

First question we got in college was, what is culture.    
AKA pedantic kunt
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Funny you mentioned Skopje the Irish Bar there was one of the best on any trip with the prices actually reduced for us. The man never sold as much drink in 6 months.

And you can be sure the Hangar was the same, it wasn't my favourite bar over there but she looked after everyone well. Free 7am pints
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic